Headphones for guitar
May 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

varkunus

Head-Fier
Hi,

I know nothing about headphones so would really appreciate your help!!! I am looking for some headphones to plug into my liine 6 uX1. Essentially, I use my laptop and modelling software as an ap and want some well balanced, comforty headphones (also RELATIVELY CHEAP i.e. <£30 ish) for 'monitoring'. I will also use them for listening to music etc. Don't need to be particularly portable since using them at home. Let me know if you need more info.

Many thanks

Rich

May 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hi,

I know nothing about headphones so would really appreciate your help!!! I am looking for some headphones to plug into my liine 6 uX1. Essentially, I use my laptop and modelling software as an ap and want some well balanced, comforty headphones (also RELATIVELY CHEAP i.e. <£30 ish) for 'monitoring'. I will also use them for listening to music etc. Don't need to be particularly portable since using them at home. Let me know if you need more info.

Many thanks

Rich

It may just be a bit out but the SRH440 by Shure is an excellent headphone for vocals and strings. The background music doesn't come in too well which makes it a bit too specific for music listening(good for rock and claissical bascically) but for recording and studio use on something like a guitar(have one) they are excellent. They aren't too comfortable..but for the price they do sacrifice comfort for sound. There are many reviews on it.

May 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Well I'm going to be wearing them for extending periods e.g. at least 2-3 hours at a time, so comfort is a priority. I could extend my budget to like £40 if it would open up some more options. I've heard the sennheisers 202/203... etc. are quite good for the price. I mean I'd just like some suggestions really so I can look into them more/find out.

Thanks!

May 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 8
My favorite no amp required at all set, that I own anyway, are the AKG k540s.  You may be able to find them around your price point, though probably used.  They're a good all-around set of cans, Grado-ish full frontal sound when you need it, fairly neutral, great for rock, and semi-open without leaking too much (though not isolating very much because of the thin plastic / cheap build).

I love them for classic rock more so than Grado just because Grados are so uncomfortable for me.

May 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I want to buy new really and so I dont think the AGMs will be in price range. I did see some other AGMs (cheaper ones) but they didnt get great reviews, cant remember model number though. What about the these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-202-Closed-Headphone/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=pd_cp_ce_1
or these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-202-Closed-Headphone/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336325112&sr=1-1-fkmr0 ???

May 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 8
No need to stick with Sennheiser just for their name.  There are some Panasonics for cheap that are supposedly pretty great for the price, though I haven't heard them myself.  Just look up some of their line.

May 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Well I've not got any loyalty to Sens by any means just that they generally have a reasonable rep and they're cans are in the price range! I'm still not convinced though and would be very grateful of anymore suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back