headphones for gaming
Jul 12, 2006 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

demoNMaCHiN3

100+ Head-Fier
Ok well basically I've made a decision and I will be purchasing the DT770-80's. Also, I will be using an X-Fi Xtreme Music card. Lastly, I've changed my mind about about the amp. Do you guys recommend any amp for the DT770-80s that's under $100? I've heard that the PA2V2 is pretty good but is it worth it for a gamer like me? Thanks for helping out a newb like me

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 23
The 595s are a popular choice for gaming. Their only drawback is the lack of oomph in the bass when unamped

Jul 12, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 23
The 80 ohm version is recommended for DT770's. I'd say that if you don't plan on amping, get the A900's for sure. If you like extra bass, get the DT770's. The A900's are known to be good for multiple purposes, like gaming, movies, and music. The DT770's are the same, but not everybody likes them for all aspects, because it has a ton of bass. The decision should come down to your personal opinions.

BTW, the A500's are just two steps down from the A900, so you might as well take that off your list. The 580 is a good choice if your main purpose for them is music, rather than gaming. They're supposedly very balanced and detailed for the price. However, I doubt the soundstage on it competes with the soundstages of A900's and DT770's.

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 23
For gaming, would you say the A900's perform better or the DT770s? And thanks for your guys help

EDIT:: if anyone owns these one of these two and play games like BF2, CS, F.E.A.R., DOD, please describe how well they fare. thanks
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 23
I don't have any personal experience, but if I remember correctly, the A900 soundstage is a bit more precise, while the DT770 soundstage is a bit easier to distinguish distance-wise. I could have it mixed up though, so try a search. Also, DT770's have that extra bass. That should be your deciding factor, as far as sounds go.

Jul 12, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 23
I currently own and have tested both the A900 and the DT770 and even unamped the DT770 is better bass-wise. The bass is great and you can feel when people are around you. You almost rely on your ears more than your eyes for enemy location. The A900's I have have been blue-takked but still don't compare as far as bass is concerned, although still nice for gaming and maybe a little music.

My A900's are up for sale in the FS forum if you don't need the booming bass of th DT770s.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
I currently own and have tested both the A900 and the DT770 and even unamped the DT770 is better bass-wise. The bass is great and you can feel when people are around you. You almost rely on your ears more than your eyes for enemy location. The A900's I have have been blue-takked but still don't compare as far as bass is concerned, although still nice for gaming and maybe a little music.

My A900's are up for sale in the FS forum if you don't need the booming bass of th DT770s.

It's a biggest mistake that modded cans sound better then default ones. It's totally down to personal preference what you like. bluetak mod cuts down the bass and bring forward the mids on A900 IMO. And if you're a basshead then you'll prefer default one rather then modded.

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 23
The experience is like having an 8ft conche shell attached to both ears with the ocean pouring into them.

That's it.
The best sound I have ever experienced in my life considering it cost me less than a pretty average holiday in Spain.
I kid you not.

Jul 13, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 23
I just recently got a pair of HD595's for gaming and I love them. I also picked up a little dot micro+ amp used off the forums. you can get them used for half your budget and they sound great. It provided a bit more bass and tightened it up quiet a bit. Also, mids seem more clear and 'full' I didn't notice a huge difference in the highs with the amp though

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiphos
The experience is like having an 8ft conche shell attached to both ears with the ocean pouring into them.

That's it.
The best sound I have ever experienced in my life considering it cost me less than a pretty average holiday in Spain.
I kid you not.

Hey;p
Mind my asking what's a PreSonus HP4? I was interested in a dt880 for gaming and electronic music, but I was diswayed from them because of their supposed lack of bass impact for gaming. Do you use them for gaming, for like bf2 and such? How are they for that
tongue.gif
What previous headphone did you use? U make the dt880 sound like its worth $1000, lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Ty
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back