Headphones for enjoyment; AD900 HD595 DT770-80
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

trinket3

New Head-Fier
hello,
i would like some recommendations on best headphones for enjoyment, i listen mainly to rock, so here are the phones i've currently found, but im in no way certain that i want one of these or not;

audio technica AD900
Beyerdynamic DT770-80
Sennheiser HD595

Criterion: they should be easy to drive, good for enjoyment. thanks

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 22
With my music MP3Gain'd to 89dB, my iPod Touch 2G can't drive my 770/80's. Even at max volume, it's not enough. I'm not even shooting for super loud, just a nice reasonable volume.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 22
I had to laugh at the thread title. Would anyone buy headphones for non-enjoyment?!

The DT770/80s are extremely easy to drive as well as sounding fantastic. I heard them through a friend's iphone, and it could drive them much louder than I could tolerate with a few steps remaining on the volume.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 22
How about headphones for torture? What would you recommend?
biggrin.gif

From what I've heard AD900 are better suited for rock than HD595. 770pro are not easy to drive.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinket3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i listen mainly to rock...

Criterion: they should be easy to drive, good for enjoyment. thanks

Grado is perfect for you. The SR-60i is the place to start, but you'd enjoy everything in their range up to the RS-1i. Pull some threads on how much people love Grado for rock and how easy they are to drive. All you have to do to make them comfy is wash the pads with soap and water in the sink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about headphones for torture? What would you recommend?
biggrin.gif

Oh, I could. Believe me. But that would just start a fight.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770/80s are extremely easy to drive as well as sounding fantastic. I heard them through a friend's iphone, and it could drive them much louder than I could tolerate with a few steps remaining on the volume.

Perhaps the iPhone has a different amp than the iPod Touch, but one would think they'd be the same. If they were different, I'd expect the Touch to be more powerful, as battery conservation isn't quite as important without a cell radio to power.

Also, if the MP3 has no gain adjustments from the rip, it's often times up in the high 90s for dB level. Since the iPod amp doesn't handle clipping very gracefully, I MP3Gain them down to a reasonable level (~89dB), and they sound much better.

Since my Sennheiser 212 Pros can easily be driven to louder-than-reasonable levels, and I can't even get my 770/80's to a comfortable volume at 100%, I wouldn't agree that they are "extremely easy to drive".

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 22
many good points though, but ill be looking into an amp as well, i may go for the beyerdynamics, cause i've heard the grados are a little sharp ?

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 22
The AD900 is a great headphone for rock music and better than the HD595 overall from what ive read. They are also more balanced and versatile than grados/alessandros. The DT770 would require a amp. Whether youd like the AD900 or DT770 better, I have no idea. The AD900 would be faster as well as having better separation and soundstage.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD900 is a great headphone for rock music and better than the HD595 overall from what ive read. They are also more balanced and versatile than grados/alessandros. The DT770 would require a amp. Whether youd like the AD900 or DT770 better, I have no idea. The AD900 would be faster as well as having better separation and soundstage.

Agreed. AD900 are solid for rock, I enjoyed them more than HD595 or the DT770.

Also don't listen to intoart! DT770 are not easy to drive, out of an iPod have to almost max the volume to even hear it properly. But even then, intoart's obsession with DT770 and DT150 bass is weird.

Anyways I'd recommend trying the AD900 for rock. HD595 are a bit more mellow.

If you can audition these headphones, go for it and hear for yourself. Not everyone hears the same and likes the AD900 as I do.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 22
If you listen mainly to rock, I would suggest Grados or Alessandros. The Alessandros are supposedly a little less harsh on the highs than grados are. I have not heard the AD900's (I have the 700's which are supposedly the same signature sound), and while they are a good all around headphone, I don't think you can do better for rock music than Grados.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 22
Don't be fooled by the dt770 80 ohm rating. They are much harder to drive than your typical 80 ohm cans. They really do need an amp. With that said, I like the ad700s better. So i'm sure the ad900 would be much better. They are not even close to my hd580s. They do sound good though. I haven't heard the 595s so I couldn't comment on those.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also don't listen to intoart! DT770 are not easy to drive, out of an iPod have to almost max the volume to even hear it properly.

All I can think of is that you must like it incredibly loud. As I said, an iphone will drive the 770s much louder than I can tolerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back