Headphones for electronic drums (Roland TD-9)
May 17, 2008 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, so since I've decided on getting my first set of drums, the Roland TD-9K electronic drums.

Now, I have to decide on the headphones. I'm probably looking in the $100-200 (at most) range. Don't recommend me the DT770, I hate em!

I want something that sounds great and seals well. The isolation is important since it should muffle the hits against the rubber pads as best as possible. My main contender at this point is the Sennheiser HD280. I know they sound decent , but I'm not sure how the isolation is. Anyone try these out? Whatever the headphones are, I don't want bass monsters like the DT770. I want some pronounced bass, but not boomy distorted bass with lack of mids and highs. I'm curious about the Denon D1000, since they seem to be in the range as well.

They should also be circumaural, but not have the suction of the DT770 (which I found very uncomfortable). Flat responsive is a big plus for what I'll be using them for.

Someone recommended the Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-7509...those any good?

May 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD-280 doesn't have much bass response, which I figure you'd want while drumming, would you not? They do have decent isolation, though.

Yeah I guess I do want some good bass response. Though, as I have said, I don't want the bass to be overly boomy like the DT770. The K240 seem decent in terms of frequency response (though that's all I have to go by, since I can't listen to em). The only thing I'm worried about, is sound isolation, since they're half open. I might have to live with half open to get proper soundstage though, which would also be important (as I want it to seem like the sounds are coming from the pads I'm hitting, rather than inside me head ala Grado).

May 19, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 11
the denon d1000 might be great for your purpose. Not sure how it handles power though if it will last. someone with experience with them should chime in. The ultrasone 580s are supposedly drummers headphones and are very sensitive and have a high power handling as well but I hear they are bassy. Maybe not as bad as dt770 because the beyers have really recessed mids

May 19, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Hmmm...yeah I was looking at the D1000, they're definitely in range. As for the 580s...they did seem appealing, albeit pricey enough. (although if I can get them for $200...they might be a real option!). I think as long as the bass is slightly more controlled than the DT770, and the midrange not recessed so much, I wouldn't mind it. The recessed midrange for the DT770 are what completely killed those headphones for me.

edit: damn those Ultrasone 580's are sexy. I really hope they're a candidate
biggrin.gif
. Looks like I could get them on ebay for about $175 new.

edit2: I think I'm gonna get those on a whim. I hate to say it, but the aesthetics have totally drawn me in.

May 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Well I think I'm going to order the Ultrasone 580 anyways. They just look too good
wink.gif
. Hopefully they sound just as good.

For $50 more, would it be worth going to the Ultrasone 780?

May 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Anyways, the Ultrasone HFI-580 are ordered.

I ordered them from Electronics Outfitter. Somewhat unconvincing site, but the order ended up being $50 less than anywhere else with shipping. $166 for the headphones, and $19 for the shipping. All said and done, $185 to Canada. Hopefully I don't get charged tax + duties, but we'll see.

I'll let you all know how they stack up. Hopefully I'm not set up for another DT770 style disappointment.

May 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 11
beware the ultrasones are notorious for super long burn in. the 580s might be less because they are not the titanium or gold coated drivers but run them in at least 200 hours though before deciding to keep or sell

May 24, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 11
Roland has its own line of headphones, which isn't as hyped-up as everything else around.

RH-300 (closed), RH-200, RH-A30, RH-D20 - just some of the models.

RH-300 or RH-200, or RH-D20 could be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back