Headphones for EDM in 2020?
Aug 17, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #46 of 56
I'm on my 9.5th week since I ordered the VC Camphor Burl edition back in June. Can't wait to see how it'll handle the genres of EDM I usually listen to. I really want to switch away from the Ultrasone 900 due to its harsh treble. Also recently picked up a Bifrost 2 / Asgard 3 to see how it'll pair with VC. It did tighten up the bass, made it less muddy and widen up the width of the soundstage ever so slightly for the Ultrasones, but that's about it. But now I'm curious of the Headamp GSX mini, but I guess I should hold out until VC arrives before buying on impulse.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #47 of 56
It really depends on your personal preferences; your choice of dance music is also an important factor.

I guess it would be nice if we could shoot for the best pairing, subgenre/headphones.

Fostex th00 mahagony for Drum'n'Bass is literally the best headphone ever. It fails pretty much on everything else. Incredibly good for tracking and matching as well, so for a Drum'n'Bass "bedroom DJ" is a must !

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #48 of 56
I guess it would be nice if we could shoot for the best pairing, subgenre/headphones.

Fostex th00 mahagony for Drum'n'Bass is literally the best headphone ever. It fails pretty much on everything else. Incredibly good for tracking and matching as well, so for a Drum'n'Bass "bedroom DJ" is a must !
If you need something that's vocal-oriented, the TH900 will not fare very well. Voices are reproduced with less authority and prominence, thanks to its scooped mids. For such genres, the Denon AH-D9200 performs the job admirably. The sub-bass extension on the Denon is comparable, although it has less of a mid-bass hump. Nevertheless, its comparatively linear midrange affords a better sense of gravitas to vocals.

If you want a mid-bass-heavy headphone with a thick and luscious sound, the MDR-Z1R is a notable contender.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #50 of 56
If you need something that's vocal-oriented, the TH900 will not fare very well. Voices are reproduced with less authority and prominence, thanks to its scooped mids. For such genres, the Denon AH-D9200 performs the job admirably. The sub-bass extension on the Denon is comparable, although it has less of a mid-bass hump. Nevertheless, its comparatively linear midrange affords a better sense of gravitas to vocals.

If you want a mid-bass-heavy headphone with a thick and luscious sound, the MDR-Z1R is a notable contender.

Since Fostex disappointed me big time, one trick pony, Denons 9200 have entered my radar. I just need to find a place and time to audition them first. Cheers

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #51 of 56
Since Fostex disappointed me big time, one trick pony, Denons 9200 have entered my radar. I just need to find a place and time to audition them first. Cheers
ZMF Eikon at that price point I think. Compare 'em. I think the ZMFs will win.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #52 of 56
I’m guessing dt1990 and dt1770 are probably pretty good

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #53 of 56
I personally like the Atticus for this. It’s less neutral than the VC and mid-bassier than the Eikon.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #56 of 56
have you tried the audeze lcd X? for fast tracks it performs rather well
Yeh the thing is though it doesn't have the big sound of the hd820

if you combine HD820, liquid platinum, and EH 6922 tube (which is a reverby tube) - man this is one awesome EDM combo. The sound is HUGE and coming from everywhere, with super detailed yet liquidy treble and powerful bass. Sounds like being in a club. I'd put this combo up against literally anything at any price point for EDM, I bet it would win.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back