Headphones for EDM in 2020?
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 56
#zmf-fanboi-warning
ZMF Verite Closed
ZMF Eikon
.. or these (true bass-head headphones, but a bit odd sounding otherwise)
I have auditioned a load of headphones, owned others mentioned (LCD2, LCD2Closed, etc).
I listen to 90+% electronic music.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #18 of 56
I found HD800S good for electronic music in general, but bass can be lacking depending on setups. I have an amp that pushes lots of bass, so it helps. I think you ultimately want tightness in driver response in the highs with thunderous bass. Or dry highs and hard hitting lows with rumbling subs.

I like Ebony with hip-hop type of slower bass (or thick double bass jazz), but for fast electronic, it would be HD800S or HE1000 series for crisp airy highs that works so well with electronic genre. HE1000 series planar subs helps when it comes to bass articulation.

Also, I'd go with D9200 over TH900 or Ebony due to faster response in the low-end with more crispness in the highs.
What would you use to drive the D2900's or TH900's?

I've heard mixed opinions about the HD800S for EDM.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #20 of 56
#zmf-fanboi-warning
ZMF Verite Closed
ZMF Eikon
.. or these (true bass-head headphones, but a bit odd sounding otherwise)
I have auditioned a load of headphones, owned others mentioned (LCD2, LCD2Closed, etc).
I listen to 90+% electronic music.
What would you say makes ZMF's better than the other headphones you've tried? And what genres do you mostly listen to?

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 56
What would you say makes ZMF's better than the other headphones you've tried?

They are very strong technical performers, without being boring. They can certainly do bass and 3d head-space. They are beautiful. I know many owners and many who own > 1 set of ZMF headphones. They scale incredibly well with your gear (the better the rest of your gear, the headphones keep getting better; they will never be the "weak link" in your chain).

And what genres do you mostly listen to?

Anything electronic & well produced. Range from chillout/ ambient, to drum n' bass, to techno, etc. Visible here if that helps.

Currently in my ears:

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 56
They are very strong technical performers, without being boring. They can certainly do bass and 3d head-space. They are beautiful. I know many owners and many who own > 1 set of ZMF headphones. They scale incredibly well with your gear (the better the rest of your gear, the headphones keep getting better; they will never be the "weak link" in your chain).

Anything electronic & well produced. Range from chillout/ ambient, to drum n' bass, to techno, etc. Visible here if that helps.

Currently in my ears:

Love the track. Your music has a lot of texture. That makes me interested in the ZMF's, if it makes that music sound good. Everything I listen to is atmospheric and detail oriented in that regard.

What is the difference in sound between the Verite Closed and Eikon? What do you drive them with?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 56
Fostex th900. Hit the bass hard

Mar 28, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 56
What do you drive your Stax and Abyss TC's with? I've heard a lot of praise for their performance of rock and classical (genres I also love). Waiting for everything to open so I can go to a store and listen. Also going to CanJam in California this December. I'll test out some synthpop or freestyle on those.

iMac > Mytek Manhattan ll > BHSE > Stax SR-009S
iMac > Yggdrasil > Eddie Current Studio T or Cavalli Liquid Gold > Abyss TC's

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #26 of 56
What is the difference in sound between the Verite Closed and Eikon?

Verite are true TOTL headphones, with a price-tag to match, and stellar all-around performance :wink: Eikons ~1/2 the price and, while I love them (especially great sub-bass), the Verites are worth it. If I had 1/2 the budget, I'd happily have Eikons (for closed headphones), otherwise; Verite all the way.

What do you drive them with?

You can see my main chain in my sig, but repeated here: [server] > [streamer] > [DAC] > [amp] > [headphones]

FWIW: @griff609; "iMac > Yggdrasil > Eddie Current Studio T or Cavalli Liquid Gold > Abyss TC's": nice rig :wink:

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #28 of 56
Verite are true TOTL headphones, with a price-tag to match, and stellar all-around performance :wink: Eikons ~1/2 the price and, while I love them (especially great sub-bass), the Verites are worth it. If I had 1/2 the budget, I'd happily have Eikons (for closed headphones), otherwise; Verite all the way.

You can see my main chain in my sig, but repeated here: [server] > [streamer] > [DAC] > [amp] > [headphones]

FWIW: @griff609; "iMac > Yggdrasil > Eddie Current Studio T or Cavalli Liquid Gold > Abyss TC's": nice rig :wink:
Verites look beautiful as well. Looking forward to auditioning them and the Eikons.

May 26, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #30 of 56
#zmf-fanboi-warning
ZMF Verite Closed
ZMF Eikon

I use the Eikon for my main headphone, but I'm still on the hunt for something better for EDM. This kind of music has demanding requirements - sub-bass linearity, not overly warmed mid-bass, neutral mids. and plenty of air, detail and shimmer up top, capable of a big soundstage, plus thump and speed. The Eikon has the heft and thump and soundstage, but to my ears the sub bass is just a touch too set back, the speed is not quite there, and the high end lacks that intricate detail that gives you sparkle and shimmer.

My Aeon Flow Closed (v1) has the sub-bass, the shimmer and the air, but doesn't have the same big romantic soundstage or heft. It is often my go-to for EDM though because it has the subs and the crisp crack and shimmer.

This (on Spotify) is a track that illustrates what I'm talking about. The Eikon doesn't capture all the crisp mid-high details, or the full richness of the subs, and the Aeon does great on those but misses the low-mid warmth and doesn't suggest the same expanse. So I go back and forth between the two.

So I'm still looking for the perfect EDM headphone... open to suggestions from any sympathetic souls. I have a feeling Stax would do the snap and shimmer but not the sub-bass, and some Audeze headphones might do the sub-bass but not the snap and shimmer. I'm also curious about the new Aeon 2 Closed, but I hear it has a dark tuning so I wonder whether it would lose some of the mid/high strengths of the original.

How do you find the Verité by comparison to the Eikon for EDM?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back