Headphones for Drum and Bass, Hip Hop and Dubstep
Jan 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 25
Denons are fantastic for any music involving electronics, from DNB to classical rock (although not on Grado level for rock of course).

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 25
x5 on the Denon D2000/5000's. Electronic tunes on the Denons are lush, involving, very satisfying. Esp. the visceral low-end.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 25
Sony xb700s but they are not always everyone's bag (still..... flat down below 20hz with no flab, and a mid-top end that offers no fatigue, just fun.)

I love the DT770s/80s but you may not like them.... they seem made for synthetic beats and really lush generators, but tubes in my chain warm them up, but they did work in a pinch on a sansa. AKG 240hd is about the same, but more sensitive, more flat, but still work well. I like their smooth top end. I don't associate them with music beyond lush ethereal rock, or dreampop, shoegaze, darkwave.... and so forth.

Senns... the hd555s are a good electronic music phone. They never let me down as far as what they could reproduce because they had fast open drivers, but, could be worn for hours and hours, and add their slightly dark and laid back sound, I loved producing music with them. The 595s are roughly the same, but with a bit less, suppose, grain. I never minded the hd555s, but I have not listened to them in a while. A lot of phones interested me more.

Shure 440s or 840s seem tailored, lots of control and can probably take as much of a beating as the DT770s, but they fold like DJ 'phones.

Grados are not really for most electronic stuff, but I still liked to keep them on when electronic tracks came on in my playlist.

I vote DT770s, Shure 840s, and while spending cash, toss some towards the xb700s. The driver used in those cans is really good, under-appreciated, but what the problem is the cord is short.

I would say the creative Aurvanas, but I took some of the dynamat mods done on the denons and worked on these with blu-tak instead for a kind of poor man's marki-mod denon set. I don't use stuffing because the blu-tak is probably more absorbent than the foil surface, but I also do not have stuffing to use. Still, these guys jam, and I have the Denon 1001ks. I would rather have this tight lower end, and nice midrange, without shredding my ears. For some reason the Denons have more of a top end, though I have looked everywhere for what could be different between the two, the only difference is in 2 places: earcups and ear pads. The ear pads are only just slightly more fluffy than the denons. To the eye they look the same. They fit on either set of phones. The ear cups have to be some other type of plastic and different shape. Anyway, a fun set to mess with anyhow, but after the mod, they can handle just about anything.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #19 of 25
I think I might go for a pair of HD-25 II's. I hear about them all the time on Drum and Bass forums, they seem to be the headphone of choice for Drum and Bass producers, and I think they would be better for the meanwhile as they aren't as power hungry and very efficient, while I don't have an amp to power the headphones.

Although once I get an amp and dac, I'll make sure I get a pair of DT770's and Denon D2000's as well and then I can have the HD-25 II as my portables.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #20 of 25
The HD-25-1's are pretty amazing with the above genres, that's true. Personally, I am a bigger fan of d'n'b with the D2000's. They are way more open/have greater soundstage. This really makes a big difference, and the bass also goes a lot deeper. For portables, the Senn's cannot be beat, however.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD-25-1's are pretty amazing with the above genres, that's true. Personally, I am a bigger fan of d'n'b with the D2000's. They are way more open/have greater soundstage. This really makes a big difference, and the bass also goes a lot deeper. For portables, the Senn's cannot be beat, however.

I have only recently heard the D2000's are fairly easy to drive, is this true? This is one of the main reasons I was considering the HD 25-1's over the Denon D2000's because I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy them for the meanwhile until I get an amp.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #22 of 25
UPDATE:
I hope this helps people recommend headphones to me.

I went out trying different headphones out, although it wasn't with Drum and Bass, but rather whatever dance music the stores had on the headphones at the time.

I found the lowly HD515's to be quite good, there was definitely adequate bass, but they were quite harsh, they would have been broken in as it was on a stand which could have made quite a difference, they were amplified. If anyone has any recommendations on headphones that have a similar, except tighter, less harsh and more precise sound to them, I'd like to know.

I listened to some non broken in AKG K601's, the vocals are fantastic and so are the high's.. almost everything sounded amazing, it was superb, but the bass is almost non existant, if they had quite a bit more bass, they would be the perfect headphone in my eyes, even without being broken in, which would make them even better. If I can remember, these were played on a Boss BR-1600CD Version 2 in the mic input. In the same store, I listened to some non broken in Shure SRH840's, which I thought were very lifeless although they had more bass than the AKG K601's, but it wasn't tight, non of the frequencys really sounded good on the SRH840 IMO.

I also prefer closed headphones, as I find them very, very comfortable, maybe the on-ear-headphones I tried were too small. If I could remember, the HD 212's were stated as closed headphones, but I couldn't even put them on with my ears in them. (Please note that I had my ear repositioned a couple of weeks ago in surgery, so I wouldn't want anything sitting on my ear anyhow)

I am yet to hear Beyerdynamics, Ultrasones and Denons. As they aren't as common in normal shops.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #23 of 25
DT770/80. Thumping bass, I used to use them for my commute to and from the city listening to primarily DnB. They're somewhere around the house right now so.. can't do a quick "checkup". They're relatively easy to drive too, i found them fine straight outta my iPod

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 25
Oh man, D5000 is absolutely extraordinary with dub-step and techno dub...

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #25 of 25
I'd hate to bump an old thread but, after reading this persons comment on a lot of bass heavy headphones, I'm now unsure again.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/why...ml#post4571251

After some listening, I feel my monitors acutally have enough bass, it was just that I usually listen at a bit lower than normal listening levels. I listened to a particularly bassy Drum and Bass track "Break - Mason", and took in a thought from the members quote about the fact that if you have really bassy source material and really bassy headphones, it can be a bit overpowering. My speakers have have a level of bass, that sounds fill in, and you can notice for sure when bass comes in. But it's not to the extent where it makes it hard to concentrate on other frequencys.

I guess after this I've found out, I'm not particularily a basshead as I've only figured I have enough bass with my studio monitors. I'm not needing a headphone that has subwoofer bass levels, because my source material has excessive bass anyway; I just need the bass extension and clarity. Is this correct logic? I definitely want to hear it, but I don't want subwoofer bass.

To clear things up, I thought the HD 515 even had too much bass (albeit sloppy bass) playing some mainstream techno. I never hear of these phones being bass monsters, I'm not sure how my speakers compare.

But, in a nutshell. I feel I don't need massive bass quantity, but I'd like good extension and clarity. I once tried a AKG K601, and found that all of the highs, mids, vocals etc were outstanding and exciting, although the demo was playing Snow Patrol, they just didn't have enough bass, a bit more bass weight and it would have been great, seeming as Snow Patrol isn't particularly the first thing a basshead will listen to. I then tried a pair of Shure SRH-840's, and while they had the bass, they just were no where near as fun to listen to, and I found them very boring.

I think Sennheiser is the middle point here, but I heard they are darker and etc than AKG's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back