Headphones for Drum and Bass, Hip Hop and Dubstep
Jan 31, 2010 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

TrumpOrMonkey

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

I'm looking to get a pair of headphones which will be used 90% of the time for Drum and Bass, Hip Hop and Dubstep and 10% Gaming/Videos. So I'll need these headphones to be particularly good with Low-Mid range and Bass. I don't mind if they are closed or open. Portability is my least concern.

I will be getting either a Little Dot MKV or MKVII and a Little Dot DAC_1 or Cambridge Audio Dacmagic. I will be getting these later on, but it would be a bonus if they can sound decently enough running these headphones directly into my PC while I save up the funds for the DAC and Amp, but this is not essential.

I'm looking to spend up to $400 AUD (inc. postage prices if overseas)

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 25
I have the HD650, and the Little Dot MK VII, with a DACmagic. I'm pretty damn happy with them for dubstep and psytrance. You might want more lower end, and for that I've been suggested the Denon AH-D2/5/7000 or Ultrasone PRO 900, but I can't personally recommend them as I haven't heard them yet. Plus, unlike the HD580/600/650, balancing them requires modding and voids the warranty.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 25
Yeah, the Sennheiser HD650's are a bit over my budget.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some Ultrasones.

Any models in particular for my price range?

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 25
I thought they could be had for 250-300USD...they should be within your budget.
Otherwise..try the HD580, half the price of the HD650 and not massively different, although a softer sound. Maybe not as suited, but still half the price.
I got my HD650s used for 280 australian dollars (£160), and the guy I ordered a balanced cable from was 160AUD

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 25
Beyerdynamic 880s, or 770s if you want a more intimate closed source. Nice neutral reproduction with plenty of bass, lets you hear what the artist heard.

Don't spend too much, thinking you'll get more out of it -- with digitized music, you can find that you're resolving the edges of loops and it'll take some of the magic out of the artform.

I find the Sennheiser sound to be really limp and lifeless in exactly the bands you are interested in.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 25
The single best headphone that I've heard for this genre would be the Beyerdynamic DT150. It has deep, slamming bass that remains clean yet has excellent detail and extension. It has extraordinary soundstage as well. The only detractors would be a sort of "plasticky" sound to them, but that's only noticeable with certain genres (definitely not the music listed). They have a relatively high impedance, but are also sensitive enough to use with a PC (although amping is a MUST to get the most out of them). I highly recommend them and they pop up for around $120USD used on the FS forums.

Denons would be another good option. Personally, I think that the Senns are a little bit too... bland (not the right word, but the closest I can get) for the type of music you listen to. I haven't heard any Ultrasones.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #11 of 25
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will wait it out until I can buy a whole setup before I purchase any headphones. Because none of these headphones will sound good connected to an onboard 3.5mm jack.

I think headphone wise I'll go for the Beyerdynamics DT770's as I've heard they're great for Drum and Bass. I think I'll get some Denon D2000/5000's later on though.

I'm also looking at getting my first setup, I'll budget myself to $800 for An Amp + Dac and interconnects.

Right now I have the Little Dot MKV on my list for $365 AUS, for the headphones I plan on using later on (Beyer DT-770 Consumer 250ohm, Denon D2000/5/7, AKG-701) etc would the Little Dot MKV power them sufficiently enough and is there anything else that would have more power at the same price?

I'll be getting the cables I need from Blue Jean Cables. So I'd say I'd have left up 350-$380 for a Dac.

I need some suggestions.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic 880s, or 770s .

I tried some 990's and the first thing i thought was; where's this famous Beyer bass i'd heard so much about? For me the Ultrasone bass was far better and deeper than the Beyers.

I'd have a go on the Ultrasone.... DJ Pro, or a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1's.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 25
I had the 750's for 3 years, love every minute with them, but in the natural course of audiophile's, it's time for an upgrade.

i do like my DJ 1's though, which is why i say, take a look at the DJ rpo's if you can afford them.

The HFI's and DJ, are more ... metalic than the Proline .... line, which is smoother and a touch more audiophile, than commercial.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 25
Dnb files are mostly mp3, so you dont need detailed 'phones which would be overkill IMO. Hd 25 1 has fast bass, little darker forward sound, very punchy, perfect for this kind of music !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back