Headphones for Down-Tempo/Sludge/Hypnotic/Progressive ~300
Jan 4, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #46 of 51
Well, the BestBuy here has HD25-1s, some Koss stuff, but that's about it. Some Sony, Bose, and Skullcandy otherwise. I was surprised to find the HD25-1 there one day. You would need to check if your store has a Musical Instruments section cause that's where they are at in our store.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #47 of 51
I don't think that any of the Best Buys out here have a musical instrument department. None of those are headphones I am interested in auditioning either. But I really appreciate the information, I didn't know that. The Bose ones that I did listen to did not sound like $ headphones. And their headphones sound nothing like their speaker systems. I really really hope that the Grado's sound better?

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #48 of 51
I know its your thread Outro, but I posted in here that I was getting the 601s. They should be here today and I will post my impressions when I get them. Only comparisons will be with my Triple.fi 10s and house speakers, 683s.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #50 of 51
Here's and update. My Grado SR80i's just came in today. And wow, the package was light as a feather, almost didn't think that the phones were in there. I'm trying to wait on any impressions until they break in plus they have comfies on them right now until my bowls and flats come in (probably tomorrow). I have it burning in right now as we speak and it's only been burning in for about a half an hour or so. My first impression out of the box with no burn in was that the bass seemed to be muddied up but definitely felt it was sufficient and not lacking. When I set it aside to burn in the bass almost sounds kind of clicky but I've noticed that even over a matter of half an hour it has started to die down, I'm assuming it's just the bass that needs to break in. Right now it is running through my Technics SL-PD667 CD Player hooked up via RCA Cable to my Hitachi Stereo Reciever (because the reciever has the headphone jack). Secondly, I have a new understanding of the word open - when these things aren't on your head and sitting aside somewhere (even in a sock drawer at regular volume) I can hear them loud and clear, every word of the song. Thirdly, even though I didn't wear them for all that long, these didn't feel uncomfortable at all. They were snug and did not constrict or hurt. Part of that may be that I'm using comfies which I'd assume got it's name for this reason, but I have a hard time believing that bowls or flats would make it unbearable for me.

I know that this question must be on here quite a few times but about how long does everyone think that these will take to break in?

In conclusion (for now), I think that these will probably be really gratifying. I will post more of my impressions once they break in a little bit more and then probably when I can put bowls and flats on them.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #51 of 51
Turns out that that sound I described was the infamous grado grattle. I tried the solutions that people have posted here and none solved the problems so I'm gonna have to send them back for another set. I'm really bummed out and I just hope that I was really unlucky and this doesn't prove to be a problem over and over. If this keeps happening to me with Grado's it will definitely turn me off to them. However, I'm just assuming that i got one of the few that this happens to, it was just typical since I was worried about the build quality of these things that something like this would happen to me. I hope this second time it proves me wrong.

Anyone else gotten the grattle before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back