Headphones for DJ-ing and everyday listening @ $300 -- Sennheiser HD-25 Aluminum or ...?
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yuletide

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,
I've been on an epic journey of reading reviews, almost buying several pairs of phones, trying every audio store in SF to listen to new models with little luck, and I think I just need to pull the trigger.

I listen mainly to bassy EDM including electro house, dubstep, trap (for dj-ing) and heavy metal so want a pair that can handle both well, with solid bass extension down to low sub, highs that are not too piercing but still sparkle, and warm mid presence for guitars and house/dubstep. So far the only headphones that I have tried that get close are the HD-25-II's, at least until I tried the aluminum version which was even better.

I'm a bit worried about clamping force leading to long term discomfort, but I hear they break in with use? Also hence my interest in the PSB's (though I hear they are not great for folks with glasses which I have) or something a bit more comfy.

I tested out the Audio Technica MSR (lacked energy), AIAIAI TMA-2 Young Guru (way too much missing in the mids), V-Moda M100 (had lots of upper bass emphasis but not enough sub extension, lacked energy). I own: Panasonic RP-HTX7, Grado SR60, and some Brainwavz IEMs for phone calls. Looking for something with better bass, overall fidelity and balance.

I found a store with the M4U's, are they worth auditioning before I pull the trigger on the Aluminums? Found a local store that has the senns for ~300 out the door tomorrow. Any other model that I absolutely MUST consider? Also, could I be trying to accomplish too much with one pair?

I'm tired of searching and kinda just want to buy something already...

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Why is this even a question. Of course the HD25 Aluminum.

You can get the Amperiors for 100 dollars refurbished, and it has lower impedance, so if you aren't using an amp to drive them, then the Amperiors are the easy buy. If you do have an amp, the HD25 Aluminum will sound better, though its up to you to decide if its worth the extra cash.

Many purists like the original HD25, though it is going to be more expensive than the Amperiors and less technically impressive.

Though what in the world the M100's from my memory had much better sub bass extension than the Amperiors. M100 is all about the bass, about the bass, about the bass, no treble. Or mids. The Amperiors have great bass over all, though I wouldn't find their sub bass all that impressive compared to its mid bass which has tons of impact. I tried EQ'ing up is sub bass to literally no results, meaning the driver is already pushed to its limits when it comes to sub bass.

EDIT: Thus the HD25 line will take care of all your needs, but I personally find its treble ear piercing, I am returning it. I didn't like how much more forward the mid treble was compared to the lower treble, so it doesn't even have a Grado signature treble emphasized signature. However if you demoed it, and liked what you heard and didn't find the treble too harsh, then definitely go with it. It definitely doesn't have "warm mids" that you are looking for however. I personally like treble with no spikes or subdued, so it fares better in noisy environments, otherwise the bass is lessened from the mix because fullsized headphones don't attenuate outside bass well, so all you hear is mostly the treble spike if your headphone has one.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 8
The amperior are amazing and its $100 basically same as the hd 25. i Mainly listen to edm and there perfect. Isolation is great but the comfort is ok.

sounds great for edm thats what it was mainly suppose to be for edm/dj

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 8
  The amperior are amazing and its $100 basically same as the hd 25. i Mainly listen to edm and there perfect. Isolation is great but the comfort is ok.

sounds great for edm thats what it was mainly suppose to be for edm/dj

I don't listen to EDM, mostly punk and alt rock, so before I return mine could you refer to me some artists or songs that the HD25/Amperiors are made for, because I don't why a professional would want the highs so emphasized and mids recessed. Maybe to hear faults better in the highs?

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 8

I don't listen to EDM, mostly punk and alt rock, so before I return mine could you refer to me some artists or songs that the HD25/Amperiors are made for, because I don't why a professional would want the highs so emphasized and mids recessed. Maybe to hear faults better in the highs?

the isolation and durability is the main thing. DJ are known for just throwing there headphones everywhere. You can try listen to vocal dubstep maybe something like Tiesto

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Re: the m100, that's why I was so surprised when I tried them and was not impressed by the bass. Something about the bump on the upper bass notes maybe that drowns out the lower notes?

I thought about giving the HD-7 or HD-8 DJ's a shot since they look comfier than the HD-25's with M100-like bass but I can't find anywhere to try them out!

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 8
  Re: the m100, that's why I was so surprised when I tried them and was not impressed by the bass. Something about the bump on the upper bass notes maybe that drowns out the lower notes?

I thought about giving the HD-7 or HD-8 DJ's a shot since they look comfier than the HD-25's with M100-like bass but I can't find anywhere to try them out!

if i remember i heard the hd 7 arent good

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 8
You can get the Amperiors for 100 dollars refurbished, and it has lower impedance, so if you aren't using an amp to drive them, then the Amperiors are the easy buy. If you do have an amp, the HD25 Aluminum will sound better, though its up to you to decide if its worth the extra cash.

Great point. Everyday listening will be unamped for now, dj listening will be driven by a USB audio interface (Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk2) but for $100 this seems like a silly comparison. Might as well try the amperiors and if they're good enough for dj-ing then get something else like the HD598 with the extra $200 I save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back