Headphones for digital guitar processor
Nov 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

burningyen

New Head-Fier
I'm a guitarist who uses a Kemper Profiling Amp to generate my sounds.  Without going into the technical details, it mimics the sound of guitar amps and FX, which I then send to a QSC K10 monitor for amplification when playing live with my band.  I've been using Shure SRH940 headphones when programming my settings at home.  The problem I'm having is that those settings sound very different through my K10, especially the treble.  Someone else's acoustic simulation preset that I downloaded sounded laughably bad at home through my SRH940s -- like a dull electric guitar plugged direct into a mixing board -- but sounded shockingly good through my K10, with brilliant string detail and genuine acoustic snap and character.  And on the flip side, my distortion patches that I so carefully tweaked and EQed at home were piercingly bright through the K10.  I'm guessing that the issue is mainly with the accuracy of the SRH940s, given that someone else's preset sounded pretty much perfect through my K10.

With a small apartment and a 2-yr-old asleep in the next room, I need to be able to program sounds late at night through headphones that will translate to my live rig.  Any suggestions that won't involve spending more than $400?

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm a guitarist who uses a Kemper Profiling Amp to generate my sounds.  Without going into the technical details, it mimics the sound of guitar amps and FX, which I then send to a QSC K10 monitor for amplification when playing live with my band.  I've been using Shure SRH940 headphones when programming my settings at home.  The problem I'm having is that those settings sound very different through my K10, especially the treble.  Someone else's acoustic simulation preset that I downloaded sounded laughably bad at home through my SRH940s -- like a dull electric guitar plugged direct into a mixing board -- but sounded shockingly good through my K10, with brilliant string detail and genuine acoustic snap and character.  And on the flip side, my distortion patches that I so carefully tweaked and EQed at home were piercingly bright through the K10.  I'm guessing that the issue is mainly with the accuracy of the SRH940s, given that someone else's preset sounded pretty much perfect through my K10.

With a small apartment and a 2-yr-old asleep in the next room, I need to be able to program sounds late at night through headphones that will translate to my live rig.  Any suggestions that won't involve spending more than $400?

I just saw you got no responses. I have no experience with the guitar equipment you are using but all in all it sounds like your K10 monitor is much brighter sounding than the SRH940?

In such a case I would recommend trying possibly the beyer DT770 with some eq'ing or if semi-open would be too much of a problem with leakage the DT880 would prolly be even better since they are more neutral with some treble brightness/emphasis.

I would think that you could use a separate headphone preamp with a built in EQ or something to synergize even the Shures to match your monitors better if that makes sense? Can't you match the two with the same track and then just don't touch those settings and eq the music before it gets to the headamp?

Not pretending to be an expert in your field because I am not, but tell me if that makes any sense.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I just saw you got no responses. I have no experience with the guitar equipment you are using but all in all it sounds like your K10 monitor is much brighter sounding than the SRH940?
In such a case I would recommend trying possibly the beyer DT770 with some eq'ing or if semi-open would be too much of a problem with leakage the DT880 would prolly be even better since they are more neutral with some treble brightness/emphasis.
I would think that you could use a separate headphone preamp with a built in EQ or something to synergize even the Shures to match your monitors better if that makes sense? Can't you match the two with the same track and then just don't touch those settings and eq the music before it gets to the headamp?
Not pretending to be an expert in your field because I am not, but tell me if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Any particular amps recommended for this kind of use?

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 4
I just did a quick search on guitar center.

Something like this unit:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-POWERPLAY-PRO-XL-HA4700-HEADPHONE-AMP-102302130-i1125804.gc

But again I wouldn't be able to begin to say what is best in pro audio. That unit only seems to have "bass" and "treble" control on it but I am sure there are versions with more EQ control on them.

I'm sure you could use something like that to try to match the sound output of your speaker system as close as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back