Headphones for College Student, Aspiring Audiophile
Dec 2, 2006 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fat pat

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Ive been trolling around this site for a while and decided to make a post. Ive been looking for a set of cans for many many purposes. So far i've read reviews on the grado sr60/80, the hd280s, the k81 dj and a few others. and i havent really been able to make a decision based on those reviews, if anyone has any other suggestions for me id love to hear it. With christmas coming up, id like to get a set of cans.

these will be a many purpose headphone, used for pc gaming, ipod use, and computer music.
My computer is going to be my main source for audio, and im already pretty much guarenteed a Creative x-fi extreme music for christmas as well. I play FPS(cs: source, hl2, fear. as well as the odd RTS.), i listen to a large mix of music, primarily rock and hip hop.
these will also be used on my ipod walking to and from class, also potentially library or on public transport in the summers in the city.
I need something that will be comfortable for long periods of wear, because i listen to music nearly every time its available. I wear about a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 hat.

I think a closed can would work better for me, and will a circumaural be a bit more comfy for the long term? Im not too afraid of a big headphone and me looking like a dork...but i dont want anything that will make me resemble a thrower on an airport tarmac.

I know this is a jack-of-all-trades headphone request...but if anyone can recommend anything to me id be really appreciative.

Id like to keep the price around at a maximum of 125, prefarable under 100

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 22
So you want a closed phone that's versatile for music/gaming? I'd recommend going with one of Audio Technica's ATH-Ax00 models (probably the A500 to fit in your price range)... though, they're a bit big for portable use, but you could always get a pair of Koss KSC75s for only $20 to wear when walking around campus. But the A500s are great for lots of different kinds of music and for gaming/movies and they don't need an amp to sound good either.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 22
I agree with Debaser86, but if you prefer to have only one headphone and want to keep the price down, I bet you'd still be pretty happy with just a pair of sony V6.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 22
Well, out of all the ones you've listed I'de recommend that you get the AKG K81DJ. They are pretty well regarded around here and should suit your needs. Since you'll be using the headphones out in the open that crosses the Grado's off the list since they are extremely open, and the HD280's are relatively bulky.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, out of all the ones you've listed I'de recommend that you get the AKG K81DJ.

For comfortable and circumaural you recommend the K81dj, which is neither? Fat pat, do a search on the Sony V6 / MDR-7506. I think it's what you're looking for.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 22
I agree, it sounds like you want a Sony V6/7506. The A500 would be a better choice if you didn't mind the size.. but they really are huge.

I'd also suggest you immediately swap out the stock pads for the Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads which are MUCH more comfortable. They go for $20 at B&H

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, it sounds like you want a Sony V6/7506. The A500 would be a better choice if you didn't mind the size.. but they really are huge.

I disagree. The a500/700 would be much better. The sound quality would be better and it's more comfy. And there not that big at all, why do people keep saying that?

I've seen bigger ones :p. Plus they look damn great.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 22
I woulld checkout the ATH-A500 for in your room, and maybe a K81DJ for out and about, unless you don't mind wearing the fairly large A500 outside.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. The a500/700 would be much better. The sound quality would be better and it's more comfy. And there not that big at all, why do people keep saying that?

I've seen bigger ones :p. Plus they look damn great.

Dude, you would go outside looking like this?
blink.gif

atml6.jpg

To me they look great at home, but on the bus or walking around... nah
tongue.gif

That's what the ATH-ES7 is for! Too bad it's out of his budget. Unless the OP wants to stretch his wallet abit? The ES-7 is guaranteed to attract ALL the girls. EVERY LAST ONE.
cool.gif

athes7gl4.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 22
For an all arounder I'd go with the HD280's, they sound great from my computer and iPod. They go completely around your ear, offer great isolation, clear sound, and have good bass. They are sort of bulky, but you are ,uh, buying them for the sound, which is great. Some people say they are clamping on your head which is true but they are never uncomfortable and for me, can be worn for hours.

I'd also look at the Beyer DT235's, which are about 40 bucks cheaper and are comparable but just a step below the 280's. They are extremely comfortable and just barely go around your ears. The have a great air to the music, and are not nearly as bulky as the 280's.

I would stay away form the AKG K81DJ's, they aren't exactly comfortable and have a unatural boomyness to the bass (unless you are a basshead, then go for it!)

Grado SR80 is also a good place to start and offer good clarity and top end resolution, but are uncomfortable for longer periods and can be bright, which can wear on you. They are an open can and will leak sound, so there is no isolation.

All the above can be driven by most sources w/o problems.

cool.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 22
Another MDRV6 vote for general all purpose, closed, unamped out of ipod use. Ive never heard the K81 though, that might be another consideration.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 22
those es7's look wonderful...seriously those are georgous cans. The a500's are a bit big looking, a bit like airport baggage handler earmuffs to me. The v6 is more the profile i think im looking for.

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 22
Does anybody know how the ES7s actually sound? I bought a pair for my girlfriend for Xmas based solely on how they look (she is not an audiophile at all). But I'm assuming they can't be too bad.

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 22
I own the K81DJ and I can tell you it's not circumaural, because it actually sits ON your ears, not around them. It's not comfortable for long listening session, I can wear it for maximum 1 hour then my ears really ache.

Also the sound hasn't impressed me much, they are too bass heavy with a boomy and loose bass response. They do get better with burn-in, foam removal and the blu-tack mod, but in their stock configuration they pretty much suck IMHO: very unbalanced and boomy.

Just my 2C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back