Headphones for classical?
Feb 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #46 of 55
P.S. Sorry, forgot all about the budget limitation. Oh well.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #47 of 55
If you don't mind IEMs,I recommend the Etymotic ER6 or the ER6i.They are much better sounding in my opinion than any of the headphones that you listed in the first post.Specially with the foamies.And you can find them for less than 100$,for sure.And for portable use,second to none.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #48 of 55
I spent HOURS on this forum in the last two weeks reading various opinions and comparisons for the best headphones for classical/opera. Initially I might have been willing to spend a little more than you, but in the end I found that $100 was an excellent price/performance tier with the next value tier about 4-5 times that. So I picked up a pair of AD700s. I've only had them for three days, but so far so good.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That surprises me as well, but then the A900 is quite detailed. And the humming can be somewhat intimidating, I agree...

Hello again

Like promised I checked Philips SBC-HP1000 and the humming test was a great success. Very detailed humming I also compared it to HD595 that was lying around. SBC-HP1000 got the upper hand on HD595. With SBC-HP1000 the humming was very easy to follow and became it's own musical piece.
For OP if you want an used can under 100$ be on the look for K500, K501 and SBC-HP1000 they survive the REB test
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #51 of 55
Another thought is to go the other way. The Senn PX100 can be found for ~$30 or so new (+/-). It's not a HD580/600 or something like that, but it may actually be better for a work environment. They are smaller headphones, so you won't look as odd in a work enviroment (if that matters). They are unexpectedly good. It won't be the same level as some of the other phones mentioned earlier, but it will also give you time to work up to something better and won't kill the wallet in the meantime (while still giving you a nice upgrade in sound). There also won't be any need for an amp with these. AND, you can take them with you easily if you do any other listening somewhere else.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukrneal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thought is to go the other way. The Senn PX100 can be found for ~$30 or so new (+/-). It's not a HD580/600 or something like that, but it may actually be better for a work environment. They are smaller headphones, so you won't look as odd in a work enviroment (if that matters). They are unexpectedly good. It won't be the same level as some of the other phones mentioned earlier, but it will also give you time to work up to something better and won't kill the wallet in the meantime (while still giving you a nice upgrade in sound). There also won't be any need for an amp with these. AND, you can take them with you easily if you do any other listening somewhere else.

Well, now that you mention it, since this is for a work environment smaller headphones would be a plus. I'll look into the PX100's (plenty of threads about them here). As an alternate, I stumbled upon Senn. EH350's while scouring the web last night. Anyone have any knowledge about the EH350's?

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms960 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, now that you mention it, since this is for a work environment smaller headphones would be a plus. I'll look into the PX100's (plenty of threads about them here). As an alternate, I stumbled upon Senn. EH350's while scouring the web last night. Anyone have any knowledge about the EH350's?

They are neutral, unfatiguing and forward sounding with decent bass and great vocals + mids. I really love them. For their price its steal...

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are neutral, unfatiguing and forward sounding with decent bass and great vocals + mids. I really love them. For their price its steal...

Appreciate the thoughts about the ES350's. I was about to pull the trigger on some HD485's. Would the ES350's be a better 'phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back