Headphones for "classical" or symphonic (think film-scores) like production
Mar 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

greatnorthern

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. So a long-time lover of music, but far from a true audiophile, with a tough question.
First, I've done my share of research, but the more research I do, the more difficult this gets.
Second, I realize that sound is a subjective thing. So if we could skip that discussion.

So I'm getting back into music-making, but it's been quite some time. If I could best describe what I'm going for, it would be more classical-leaning in ways, but symphonic. Think something spanning between Nils Frahm, Max Richter, Hans Zimmer, maybe even M83 to give an idea of how eclectic it might get.

I'm also looking, at least to start, to keep my total investment for headphones under $200. Yes, under $200. And that's total, which means, for now... gasp... NO AMP!!!

So I totally had my heart set on the Senn HD598s. "Quite good!", my research said. And then, my research throws me a curve ball from a veteran and well-respected member of these very boards about how those would be good for casual listening, but not for production work. Strangely, and completely against most of what I've read, he recommended a bunch of closed-ear cans (such as the KRK KNS8400, which I've actually owned and loved, except returned quickly because they were a faulty unit... then left for Thailand, never to think of serious headphones again, until now).

I am confused. Please help me be less so...

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 17
  Hey everyone. So a long-time lover of music, but far from a true audiophile, with a tough question.
First, I've done my share of research, but the more research I do, the more difficult this gets.
Second, I realize that sound is a subjective thing. So if we could skip that discussion.

So I'm getting back into music-making, but it's been quite some time. If I could best describe what I'm going for, it would be more classical-leaning in ways, but symphonic. Think something spanning between Nils Frahm, Max Richter, Hans Zimmer, maybe even M83 to give an idea of how eclectic it might get.

I'm also looking, at least to start, to keep my total investment for headphones under $200. Yes, under $200. And that's total, which means, for now... gasp... NO AMP!!!

So I totally had my heart set on the Senn HD598s. "Quite good!", my research said. And then, my research throws me a curve ball from a veteran and well-respected member of these very boards about how those would be good for casual listening, but not for production work. Strangely, and completely against most of what I've read, he recommended a bunch of closed-ear cans (such as the KRK KNS8400, which I've actually owned and loved, except returned quickly because they were a faulty unit... then left for Thailand, never to think of serious headphones again, until now).

I am confused. Please help me be less so...

I voted for the HD 598 as I could not think of another phone with your description. The HD 598 are fairly neutral save for a bit of sparkle in the high end (see my review for more information) BUT they are mid-centric. Their mids are pretty forward in their presentation and the overall signature is a tad bright.

My personal advice is to save a bit more so you can get a pair of AKG's and an amp to drive them (the O2?) which will work wonders for your needs.

Hope that helped! If you want to talk to me personally, you can PM me.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 17
That certainly did help, thanks. One vote for the Senns. 

And yeah, honestly I'm going nuts not making music. I'm literally willing to eat the full price on the headphones (of course I won't have to, I'll obviously resell at a used rate) that I'd lose out on when I upgrade cans later, to start making music again NOW... but I still want a decent representation of what I'm doing, that still has just enough feel to let me enjoy it. I can't afford multiple sets now, so I'm looking for a good blend between accuracy and feel to the sound (yeah, ok... color...).

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 17
  That certainly did help, thanks. One vote for the Senns. 

And yeah, honestly I'm going nuts not making music. I'm literally willing to eat the full price on the headphones (of course I won't have to, I'll obviously resell at a used rate) that I'd lose out on when I upgrade cans later, to start making music again NOW... but I still want a decent representation of what I'm doing, that still has just enough feel to let me enjoy it. I can't afford multiple sets now, so I'm looking for a good blend between accuracy and feel to the sound (yeah, ok... color...).

Well, I do hope you mean mixing, and NOT recording in which case you'd need a closed phone. If you are regarding mixing, then I doubt the HD 598 will color your music that heavily to make you cringe. If you'd really rather not buy the AKG's or a similar phone, then the HD 598 shouldn't be too bad. Note that the HD 598's are pretty neutral, it's just that their forward presentation in the mids and sparkle in the highs stop them from being "analytical" as the AKG's are famed for being.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 17
Absolutely correct. I'd never dream of using open phones for recording for the obvious reasons.
And yeah, at this point, I'm looking for something without the added expense of an amp, as I'm trying to keep my total investment, including an Akai MPK49 (a midi controller I can get for right around $300) around $500 max.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 17
  Absolutely correct. I'd never dream of using open phones for recording for the obvious reasons.
And yeah, at this point, I'm looking for something without the added expense of an amp, as I'm trying to keep my total investment, including an Akai MPK49 (a midi controller I can get for right around $300) around $500 max.

Shame. Ah well, as far as I know, the only headphone that fit your descriptions (mostly) are the HD 598's. It's by no means a loss though, I'm loving mine and you probably don't need to upgrade for a while if you don't want to.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 17
I wonder if I was the veteran who told you to buy the KRK. (Probably not, as I haven't been around that long.) Regardless, get the KRK.

It's without a doubt what I would use for recording. It's shockingly resolving, even more than K70x, which it reminds me of in other respects such as the crisp treble. Comfort and isolation are above average.

The only problem is god awful cable, which you'll probably have to replace with one that doesn't bear noise. I think K450, Q460, and M50x work but ask on the KRK appreciation thread.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Wasn't you, a post I read of someone else. But just a clarification, I am not using this for recording. All-digital production work - thus I don't need closed cans, so out of curiosity why would you recommend something closed when the majority recommend open?

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 17
Wasn't you, a post I read of someone else. But just a clarification, I am not using this for recording. All-digital production work - thus I don't need closed cans, so out of curiosity why would you recommend something closed when the majority recommend open?

In that case, you would be best served by HD600 with an O2 amp. There are some used ones of each on the FS board. But unamped, I'd still prefer the KRK for its resolution.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 17
stray tots...

why would u want an open can when u are trying to concentrate on getting the mix "correct" ? 
i am listening to an open can now...even a fan 5 feet away affects me to my right. 

KRK...i think this company make speakers for recording studios, no? 
i guess those guys would tune the KRK8400 to suit their speciality.
http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 17
So assuming my home studio is a truly quiet environment, what I've read/heard the most is that open cans are more accurate. No?

I don't know if they're more accurate, but they certainly sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back