Headphones for classical music ...
Jan 14, 2017 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ViolinsNVolta

New Head-Fier
Searched the boards for "headphones for classical music". Came across some posts recommending Q701's and DT 880's from 2013. I've been out of the game for a while...

My current rigs are Fiio X5ii and Fiio e12. I also have an iPod classic 160gb with a Portaphile 627x.

My current headphones are Beyer T90's and Fidelio X2 (I don't like the X2 with classical, but solid with other genres).

I've got about $300 to spend on some new headphones.

I don't know if it makes a difference in cans but I've noticed I've been listening to a lotta new breed pianists in short skirts like Yuja Wang, Lisitsa, Fliter, etc..

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 25
In your price range ~300 IDK that you are going to do much better than your T90s. There are headphones that will offer a different experience, but for something clearly superior I think that the price bracket will have to be upgraded significantly.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 25
  In your price range ~300 IDK that you are going to do much better than your T90s. There are headphones that will offer a different experience, but for something clearly superior I think that the price bracket will have to be upgraded significantly.

I gotta agree with this.  But if you need like a second headphone or something, the Q701 is a pretty solid choice in the price range.  Or one of the baby Beyers perhaps?  (EDIT - Oh yeah, you already saw the DT880 so there you go.)

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 25
The HD600's are good but given the level of HPs and sound quality you're already used to you're not gonna get the "wow" that HD600/650/6xx give to others just starting their trek into hi-fi.

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 25
Makes sense. I don't think I'm looking for the wow factor though at $300 as much as a different listening experience than my T90's provide with classical music. I enjoy the T90's but find them fatiguing after a while. I also just would like a back up pair that is also geared for classical listening.

*and we can never have enough toys

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 25
Makes sense. I don't think I'm looking for the wow factor though at $300 as much as a different listening experience than my T90's provide with classical music. I enjoy the T90's but find them fatiguing after a while. I also just would like a back up pair that is also geared for classical listening.

*and we can never have enough toys

Well, I think the AKG K712 might serve you as an overall smoother headphone, retaining a big and layered soundstage.
AKG K702 should serve you as well, it's a tiny bit more open and diffuse than K712. Similar but more forward sounding. Preferences play a big role when it comes to picking one or the other. I use both a lot despite having the Tesla T1 and the Sennheiser HD800 around.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 25
Oh man....T1's...my dreams

Haha! Well, it's a very nice headphone indeed!

K712 is quite similar in some regards, althought just a tad more laid back and ultimately not as detailed, but the overall tuning is quite close from bass to upper midrange.
One of T1's bigger strenghts is having a relatively big soundstage along with very focused image. In that sense K712 is better than K702, it's simply more focused.
While very different K702 is more along the lines of HD800 in that regard, it projects slightly bigger and more spread objects in space.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 25
In my collection, my three favorite cans for classical are: HD 800, HE 400I, DT 880 / 600.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 25
some people may call me crazy but hd 650s are really good with classical i currently own k702 and q701. they are great for classical but they don't have great imaging which is really good for classical and with string instruments like the chello the hd 650 are great they have a bit a of soundstage but if you give me examples of what kind of classical you listen to i can give you more accurate details on what they are good for and i have some beyers just to try them out also ( i mean it's not the same thing listening to wagner and paganini as an example)

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 25
Haha! Well, it's a very nice headphone indeed!

K712 is quite similar in some regards, althought just a tad more laid back and ultimately not as detailed, but the overall tuning is quite close from bass to upper midrange.
One of T1's bigger strenghts is having a relatively big soundstage along with very focused image. In that sense K712 is better than K702, it's simply more focused.
While very different K702 is more along the lines of HD800 in that regard, it projects slightly bigger and more spread objects in space.

Well I did a bunch research. I was just about to pull the trigger on the 712's...but I did some more reading and found out how difficult they are to drive properly. Man, I really want em but I don't think my Portaphile or fiio e12 will drive em well enough. I don't want to shell out more $$$for a dedicated amp. I love my two portables. Any other suggestions for classical music listening? Man, I literally had the 712's in my shopping cart...

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 25
some people may call me crazy but hd 650s are really good with classical i currently own k702 and q701. they are great for classical but they don't have great imaging which is really good for classical and with string instruments like the chello the hd 650 are great they have a bit a of soundstage but if you give me examples of what kind of classical you listen to i can give you more accurate details on what they are good for and i have some beyers just to try them out also ( i mean it's not the same thing listening to wagner and paganini as an example)

I listen to a lot of string/concerto stuff like
Hilary Hahn, Julia Fischer, James Ehnes, Leonidas Kavakos, Kopatchinskaja, Jacqeline Du Pre

Lotta Piano concerto and solo stuff:
Martha Argerich, Yuja Wang, Ingrid Fliter, Valentina Lisitsa, Krystian Zimerman, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back