Headphones for classical music ...
Jan 16, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #16 of 25
Well I did a bunch research. I was just about to pull the trigger on the 712's...but I did some more reading and found out how difficult they are to drive properly. Man, I really want em but I don't think my Portaphile or fiio e12 will drive em well enough. I don't want to shell out more $$$for a dedicated amp. I love my two portables. Any other suggestions for classical music listening? Man, I literally had the 712's in my shopping cart...

Not sure what you've read but FiiO E12 Mont Blanc will drive them in Low Gain!

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #17 of 25
Well I did a bunch research. I was just about to pull the trigger on the 712's...but I did some more reading and found out how difficult they are to drive properly. Man, I really want em but I don't think my Portaphile or fiio e12 will drive em well enough. I don't want to shell out more $$$for a dedicated amp. I love my two portables. Any other suggestions for classical music listening? Man, I literally had the 712's in my shopping cart...

E12 can drive most things my e12a can drive q701 to a good volume e12 has almost double the juice so it can handle it

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 25
I agree, E12 should be fine.  @Evshrug used that very combination and I don't recall him ever complaining about it.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 25
I listen to a lot of string/concerto stuff like
Hilary Hahn, Julia Fischer, James Ehnes, Leonidas Kavakos, Kopatchinskaja, Jacqeline Du Pre

Lotta Piano concerto and solo stuff:
Martha Argerich, Yuja Wang, Ingrid Fliter, Valentina Lisitsa, Krystian Zimerman, etc
You might want to check out what Malfunkt thought about the HD 700's. http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/7365

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 25
Thank you peops for your suggestions/advice. I pulled the trigger on the AKG K712's. I got em delivered for $249 new. I feel that was a great deal for em! Can't wait to hear em:)

Gratz!  Let us know what you think.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #23 of 25
[/I
. FedEx came to the door and my heart just started pounding...WHAT A RUSH:D
Been listening to em for a bit. They sound fantastic out of the box. I hear they need some break in...we'll see I guess. I have em plugged into my Fiio X5 & e12. I'm real happy with what I'm hearin...my nipples are hard and I'm a dude! I'll try em with my Portaphile in a bit.

They are huge!!! Good lookin, but huge. My bird likes to hang out on my shoulder next to the earcups with my T90's, but I don't think there is room for him with the K712 on.

HUH sound is just great....clear, not as bright as my T90's, lil more relaxed. Maybe better soundstage. Listening to Krystian Zimerman- Ravel. I'd like to here them with my other stuff- deftones, Mars Volta, Modest Mouse. So far I am very happy.

Edit: thank you stillhart

These are wayyyy better than my X2's

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 25
Well, I think the AKG K712 might serve you as an overall smoother headphone, retaining a big and layered soundstage.
AKG K702 should serve you as well, it's a tiny bit more open and diffuse than K712. Similar but more forward sounding. Preferences play a big role when it comes to picking one or the other. I use both a lot despite having the Tesla T1 and the Sennheiser HD800 around.

I owe ya a big thanks. Don't think I woulda looked hard at them without your suggestion.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #25 of 25
I owe ya a big thanks. Don't think I woulda looked hard at them without your suggestion.

You're welcome mate.
Glad to know you like them. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back