Headphones for classical and oldies as a gift (female), ~$120 budget
Feb 22, 2008 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dima1109

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.
My girlfriend's birthday is on the horizon. I thought it would be nice to get her something better than ipod earbuds that she could use. She is into oldies (Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc) as well as classical and some pop. I know, I should be making those kinds of decisions on my own, but I'm really lost in my choices.
The set should be good with the vocals, that's perhaps the most important part. Bass is not too much of a factor, but it shouldn't be too anemic. Detail is also pretty important.
It would be used with a 3rd gen nano (192-240 kbps) and some CDs. Budget is ~120 (no need to go too high with mp3s, besides, my wallet has suffered lately), but could be slightly stretched if worth it.
I've been looking at AKG K501/K240, ATH-AD500/AD700, Senn HD555, but I'm pretty open. Need to be brand new (gift).

I'm kinda counting on some "wow" factor, coming from the crap earbuds
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

PS Hope she doesn't suddenly go reading my forum posts on the internet
redface.gif
that would be a bummer.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 19
Alessandro MS1. Not the HD555, please.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 19
Hmmm, I haven't thought of Alessandro. That's a good option, a little lacking in the looks department though (I know that's silly, but you never know). She has seen my SR225s back when I had them, and thought they were pretty weird looking.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 19
Don't flame me, but IMO the MS1 sounds even better than the SR225.

Be careful, it was the little MS1 which taught me that there was something "more" possible than the DT770 I had back then.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 19
How does she actually listen to music? I thought about getting my GF a set of full sized headphones, but after watching her listening habits, I realized that the only time she uses headphones is when she exercises or is doing chores around her place. So I got her a pair of Yuin PK2s instead of full-sized headphones and she loves them. She immediately tossed out her iBuds. She uses them much more than she would ever use a full-sized headphone.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 19
Does she like hi-fi sound?
Most civilians (non-headfi types) that I know couldn't care less about the improvements in sound you get by moving up the headphone ladder. For instance, my wife would be as happy with her sennheiser pmx60s as with sennheiser hd-650s. In fact she would like the cheaper model better because they are smaller and less obtrusive.
I don't know many woman that would choose Grados as a fashion accessory, though no doubt there are women who would rock that look well...

So I think the question of what she will use them for is a valid one.
Koss KSC75s and a pedicure (I know that sounds sexist, but I have yet to meet a woman who didn't LOVE a pedicure) might be a better route than spending a fortune on phones....

If you must spend 100, then the Denon ah-d1000s on amazon are a great deal.
1. They don't leak too much sound to the outside world.
2. They are smallish in design so they look pretty good on your head. Bigger phones make you look like an audio engineer...
3. They sound pretty great, not too strident in any one area.
4. They are comfy as can be.
5. In basic black or silver, they have a classic, stylish look.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 19
I'm going to recommend IEMs for this situation. Westone UM1s in fact.

Good sound, great comfort, great looks, great isolation, great for iPod.

I'm a girl and the Westone series are the most attractive type of universal phones I know of.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 19
How about the iGrado? I've given them to a couple of women who make positive remarks about the style - especially the lack of messing up hair. They get used pretty much daily, as well, so they're liked.

I would avoid anything needing an amp or other associated Head-Fi geekery.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 19
If the Denon AH-D1000 is anything like the Creative Aurvana Live! (which is rumored to have very similar sound) then the vocals will be a little distant.
Anything like the K501 that requires good amping is out for sure.

I'm thinking the Yuin PK2 could be a good option, but I haven't heard it.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Wasn't too impressed by the Denon D1000. Average midfi quality, K81 class or (looking at build quality) even slightly below. Much too expensive.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does she actually listen to music? I thought about getting my GF a set of full sized headphones, but after watching her listening habits, I realized that the only time she uses headphones is when she exercises or is doing chores around her place. So I got her a pair of Yuin PK2s instead of full-sized headphones and she loves them. She immediately tossed out her iBuds. She uses them much more than she would ever use a full-sized headphone.

She does sit down and listen to her music. The kind of exercise she does does not permit listening to music (dance), so she only does stationary listening.

IEMs would be a no, I highly doubt she would tolerate things in her ear canals.

As for now, I am not completely determined to get her headphones. It's just an option I'm considering, on par with a few other things. So I'm exploring the options only sound-wise.

I'm assuming consensus is on MS1? What about lower-level ATs? What is their sound signature like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful, it was the little MS1 which taught me that there was something "more" possible than the DT770 I had back then.

Funny that you say that, I had just traded SR225 for DT770
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 19
I have the AT-AD700. It has good detail and soundstage, but I am hesitant to recommend them for your gf because

1) The bass is a bit anemic . . . it gets better after about 150 hours, but compared to the Grado and Alessandro that others recommended, definitely lacking.

2) As much as I love the support wing design, they're not friendly to hairstyles that needs extra care (gel, spray, wax, etc). I am a guy with a fairly normal length hair, and after a 2+ hour with any of my ATs, the hair doesn't exactly retain its shape.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about lower-level ATs? What is their sound signature like?

The ones I tried had a tendency towards "strange mids", be it recessed or queeky. Not everybody's cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back