Headphones for Blockhead?
Jun 14, 2003 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

daffa

Head-Fier
Hi there who have been listening to Blockhead. Do you know how many headphones suitable for the Blockhead? I know only HD600 and RS1 with extra balanced cable. Others?
Another question is whether it is easy to replace the stock cable of RS1 with the XLR cable?

Jun 14, 2003 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm sure with enough cash to throw around, many other top headphones could be converted as well. My top choices would the Sony R10 and Grado HP-1/2, I'm sure you could find someone to wire these up right for ya.

But for now, there has only been two headphones ever mated to a blockhead to my knowledge, the HD600 and RS1.

-dd3mon

Jun 14, 2003 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
One more thing, many feel the "veil" factor of HD600 seems a bit annoying. Will the Blockhead eliminate this veil?

Ha! Ha! I would say no; the veil is only removed when the HD-600s are powered strictly with a cheap portable CD player.
eek.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 10
I worked the HeadRoom Tour when it came to Buffalo and I had a chance to spend considerable time with the Blockhead/HD600 combo. No veil. If I had the money, I'd buy that setup in a second!

Jun 14, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 10
Of everything I've read it seems the majority of the people who listen to the blockhead prefer the HD600 with it, and don't even worry about what other phones would sound like with it. I guess it's supposed to really sound beautiful.

Jun 14, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 10
I auditioned the blockhead for a week when headroom sent it for the first NY meet. The hd600 was the better match over the rs1s.
I heard no veil with that setup. I am sure you can modify any headphone to work with the blockhead.

Jun 14, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 10
What is the sense behind the balanced output and headphone cable (technically)?

peacesign.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Daffa,

I've owned a Blockhead for awhile now, and I can assure you that I hear no viel with the Senn 600.

To the best of my knowledge, you have to buy the RS-1 from Headroom already wired for balanced operation. Although I suppose you could wire it up yourself, with enough soldering skill.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, there are only three officially approved headphones, the Senn 580, 600, and the Grado RS-1. I've tried several times to get Headroom to wire up other phones for me, but they don't seem to be interested.

One thing I did was buy a cheater plug from Stephen Audioart. With this plug I can use any headphone with the Blockhead. I'll tell you that the Grado HP-1 sounds quite nice run this way. I don't think fellow head-fier, and Melos expert Carlo likes the Blockhead all that much, but he has listened that way, and can probably share some thoughts if he'd like.

Jun 14, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't hear the so called veil on the HD600 + Blockhead combo either. I'm not really into the RS1 and my view didn't change even when hearing it on the Blockhead. It would be interesting to hear other headphones on it. What type of wiring is necessary for it? Maybe I might make an AKG K1000 cable for the next NYC headphone meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back