Headphones for birthday?
Sep 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

naljatilk

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

My husband's birthday is comming up and i want to surprise him with good pair of new headphones.

But... i know nothing about those things. Can somebody help me?

Parameters:

Under 300   
Over-ears
He likes a little extra bass
The best sound quality possible
Clarity and detail
For home use on his Lenovo laptop, for gaming, all genres of music and movies

Thanks in advance!

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 23
Oh wow, an enabler appears!

(Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!)

You might be a good person to ask, so are open headhpones okay? Open back headphones tend to have better quality at the expense of isolation. You will be able to hear your husband's music/games/movies if you get him an open model, so let us know if that's acceptable for you.

Also, does he have any sort of amplifier or DAC (digital-to-analog converter)? My guess is no, but it can shape recommendations.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 23
I'll still point out a few models to get started...

Audio-Technica ATH M-50 (or M-50X): these headphones do have extra bass and are sealed. They are very accurate, but have very little sound stage (which would provide 3D sound effects). The M50X version got a minor bump in sound quality and a detachable cable.

Sennheiser 598: this is an open backed headphone. This one should sound great, but might be lacking in the bass.

HiFiMAN HE-400: this model should be a great step up in sound quality. I'm not sure what the exact conversion is and what price you'll see in Euros, but they are $300 USD here in the States. Couple downsides, though. These guys use planar manetic drivers, which means they would be a fair bit heavier than the above models. These drivers also tend to be less efficient. Your husband's laptop might do an okay job driving them, but it might be difficult getting good volume out of them. Most listeners here would pair it with a headphone amplifier.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 23
Probably not the open headphones.
We have little children and they are usually sleeping when headphones are in use.

"Also, does he have any sort of amplifier or DAC (digital-to-analog converter)?"

Hmmm...good question...  i dont know what this amp or Dac is but i think not :D

He just plays on his laptop. No extra stuff next to it.

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 23
Also consider the Sennheiser Momentum (circumaural, not 'on-ear' version).  Very nice design
and would make a good gift.  Well within your price bracket. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 23
http://www.arminvanbuuren.com/news/2014/04/armin-philips-create-a5-pro-professional-dj-headphones/

buy this NEWWWWWWW headfone n he will love u to bits......!!

https://www.armadamusicshop.com/detail/AC211045/Philips-A5pro-Headphones-Armin-van-Buuren-MERCH2014016P2

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 23
If you haven't decided yet, you could take a look at the Fischer Audio headphones, most of them are around 100 to 200 dollars.
They are closed, are easy to drive, have excellent build quality and look VERY classy.

I haven't heard any of them myself, but I have read only positive reviews about their sound quality (especially about their neutrality.)
Maybe someone here has heard them (or someone on the forums self). If I had the money I would probably buy one..

These are their flagship models:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ (their most famous headphone, the 3000 posts on that thread says enough
eek.gif
)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578046/review-fischer-audio-fa-006-baby-brother-to-the-fa-003-antithesis-to-the-beats (like the fa-003 but less comfortable, and half the price)

And there are even wooden versions of them.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 23
Well, those Philips are DJ headphones, and the Fischer Audio headphones are kinda hard to get, apart from webshops.

If you don't wan't to go through the hussle of buying headphones online, the Sennheiser Momentum (or hd25 II) is a safe bet, you can probably find them at that store. :)

Question, is your husband along the lines of an audiophile (who is interested in headphones)? If yes, he probably already heard Sennheisers, which imo would make it less 'special,' because they don't differentiate THAT much from each other and they are the most known audiophile brand, (again, imo.)

Anyway, I'll see what I can find in Kuressaare. :)

*addit* Btw, if you are to buy a headphone online in Europe, I would buy them from Germany, their audio community is very established, so their prices are probably less inflated, and they have more choice, (cause choices are fun. :D )

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 23
  If you haven't decided yet, you could take a look at the Fischer Audio headphones, most of them are around 100 to 200 dollars.
They are closed, are easy to drive, have excellent build quality and look VERY classy.

I haven't heard any of them myself, but I have read only positive reviews about their sound quality (especially about their neutrality.)
Maybe someone here has heard them (or someone on the forums self). If I had the money I would probably buy one..

These are their flagship models:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491632/review-fischer-audio-fa-003-a-neutral-champ (their most famous headphone, the 3000 posts on that thread says enough
eek.gif
)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/578046/review-fischer-audio-fa-006-baby-brother-to-the-fa-003-antithesis-to-the-beats (like the fa-003 but less comfortable, and half the price)

And there are even wooden versions of them.
biggrin.gif

i dun recommend...unless u want to hear music out of a cave...somewhat.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 23
if u listen to trance or ambient music...it has an ethereal feel...with a glass of whiskey..nice.
if u listen to classical music, u go nuts.  LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back