Headphones for around $250 (Hard/Classic Rock/80s Metal)
Oct 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #16 of 23
i have sr225i with stock bowls, and i do not find them uncomfortable, and i wear them with plastic frame glasses... i do have to find the right placement so there is not too much pressure on the back of my ears/glasses.. otherwise they are light and comfortable to wear for hours.. i also have the jmoney grado headbands but i did not have to install them as they are comfortable for me stock

J&R electronics, in new york city is a good place to buy headphones.. i bought my sr225i for $169 usd and srh840 for $129 usd in store... i'm not sure if they have the same discount if you buy online, so you may want to call to confirm the prices as they need to list the MRSPs on their site

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #17 of 23
Throwing my opinion into the ring. I upgraded and still have my ad700's still love them. But I now have a pair of DT 990 600 ohms. I listen to Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, anything rock I guess and these things have been a very nice upgrade over my 700's and are super comfortable, they clamp a bit more than the 700's but they are still really super comfortable. I would say they were definitely a worthwhile upgrade. They handle all genres well but I would say they excel for classic and hard rock. 225's may be the kings of metal but imo if you listen to more than just metal, these all around better.

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 23
denon d2000s all the way.  i recently bought a set and they're perfect for all kinds of music.  I listen to alot of those bands you named, plus some hip hop and the bass is thumpin for hiphop tunes and the GnR never sounded so perfect!  I've listened to GnR Lies "acoustic side" more now than I think I've ever did.  One in a Million & Patience sound incredible and even axls "chinese" tunes sound sweet.  I'm jus usin them plugged to my XonarSTX.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 23
 Look into Ultrasone

I have the HFI780s, and listen to alot of jazz, but still love my vintage rock

The 780s have lots of bass, excellant highs, and are "in your face"

I put the beyer 250 pads on, and stretched the band, so they're pretty comfortable now

They're only 35 ohms- easy to drive

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 23
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of closed headphones (probably should have mentioned that before). Right now I'm thinking either Grados or the Beyer DT990. Though, I don't have an amp so I wouldn't be able to drive the suggested DT990/600, so I'm leaning more towards the SR225i.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of closed headphones (probably should have mentioned that before). Right now I'm thinking either Grados or the Beyer DT990. Though, I don't have an amp so I wouldn't be able to drive the suggested DT990/600, so I'm leaning more towards the SR225i.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of those choices, however the dt990/600's aren't that hard to drive, I feel they are driven sufficiently with my cute beyond.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #22 of 23
I ended up ordering the Grado SR225i and they arrived this morning.

My first impression after putting them on, after wearing my AD700, was "What is this thing on my head." Then I turned on some music... Wow, these sound good. I'm very excited to hear how much better sounding they become after burning in and getting a sound card in the next couple months.

After wearing them for a bit, the comfort isn't really as bad as I expected from reading about them everywhere. Though, I will admit it takes a few minutes to adjust to after playing Xbox, with my AD700, to listening to music with the 225i's.

The only complaint I have is the fact that the cables coming out of the Y-split are slightly different length (The right side is ~1 inch longer). Though I'm not sure I can even consider that a complaint with how good they sound. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
I ended up ordering the Grado SR225i and they arrived this morning.

My first impression after putting them on, after wearing my AD700, was "What is this thing on my head." Then I turned on some music... Wow, these sound good. I'm very excited to hear how much better sounding they become after burning in and getting a sound card in the next couple months.

After wearing them for a bit, the comfort isn't really as bad as I expected from reading about them everywhere. Though, I will admit it takes a few minutes to adjust to after playing Xbox, with my AD700, to listening to music with the 225i's.

The only complaint I have is the fact that the cables coming out of the Y-split are slightly different length (The right side is ~1 inch longer). Though I'm not sure I can even consider that a complaint with how good they sound. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Good job! Enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back