Headphones for around $250 (Hard/Classic Rock/80s Metal)
Oct 3, 2010 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jophess

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I'm looking into buying some higher quality headphones for around $250 USD. I currently have a pair of ATH-AD700s that I mostly use for gaming on my Xbox 360. I'm getting somewhat tired of constantly moving them between my Xbox and computer so I figured I just buy another pair of headphones for my computer. 
smile_phones.gif

The main genres I listen to are Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and older Metal(1980s Hair/Glam). Some bands include Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, The Eagles, and Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne. I will also use them for a bit of gaming, but it is definitely not a priority.

After looking around on this site I bit, I have a feeling that I will be recommended to buy some Grados. However, I'm a computer science student so I spend many hours per day on the computer listening to music while programming, and I hear they can be quite uncomfortable.

I have been looking at some Beyers, specifically the DT880s and DT990s, but after reading around a bit I'm not sure how well they'd work for the music I like.

I want to note that I only have an on-board sound card and no amp other than an Astro Mixamp (If that even counts). Though, I will be buying them in the next few months, probably in December.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 23

Quote:
Hello everybody, I'm looking into buying some higher quality headphones for around $250 USD. I currently have a pair of ATH-AD700s that I mostly use for gaming on my Xbox 360. I'm getting somewhat tired of constantly moving them between my Xbox and computer so I figured I just buy another pair of headphones for my computer. 
smile_phones.gif

The main genres I listen to are Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and older Metal(1980s Hair/Glam). Some bands include Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, The Eagles, and Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne. I will also use them for a bit of gaming, but it is definitely not a priority.

After looking around on this site I bit, I have a feeling that I will be recommended to buy some Grados. However, I'm a computer science student so I spend many hours per day on the computer listening to music while programming, and I hear they can be quite uncomfortable.

I have been looking at some Beyers, specifically the DT880s and DT990s, but after reading around a bit I'm not sure how well they'd work for the music I like.

I want to note that I only have an on-board sound card and no amp other than an Astro Mixamp (If that even counts). Though, I will be buying them in the next few months, probably in December.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I know you said no Grado's but although they CAN become uncomfortable after long periods of use they don't have to be. You can stretch the headband out so they won't be bothersome at all. Even if they do cause discomfort it is worth it. They make all the artists you listed sound like, well, like they are supposed to. Percussion is very clear and to the point. Guitar is powerful as all hell. That is all that's needed right? 

BTW, I am talking about the SR225i here. They are well worth the $150 I paid for them thirdhand. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 23
I didn't mean to sound like I was ruling Grados out. I just wanted to know if there were alternatives that would give great sound while still being very comfortable.

If Grados are the best option, would changing the pads help without changing the sound much? Or am I just over exaggerating how uncomfortable they are (I'm only basing their comfort off what I've read)?

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound like I was ruling Grados out. I just wanted to know if there were alternatives that would give great sound while still being very comfortable.

If Grados are the best option, would changing the pads help without changing the sound much? Or am I just over exaggerating how uncomfortable they are (I'm only basing their comfort off what I've read)?

Most of it is exaggeration or too much comparison with other cans. I wouldn't sell them or get rid of them sheerly for comfort. But if you are really concerned the DT990 would be your best bet. The have strong highs and low but recessed mids FWIR. The DT880 is more neutral. So if you are using it for metal the DT990 would be the way to go if you are too wimpy for discomfort. XD

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
Most of it is exaggeration or too much comparison with other cans. I wouldn't sell them or get rid of them sheerly for comfort. But if you are really concerned the DT990 would be your best bet. The have strong highs and low but recessed mids FWIR. The DT880 is more neutral. So if you are using it for metal the DT990 would be the way to go if you are too wimpy for discomfort. XD

grados will be fine comfort wise if you replace the bowls w/ the pads, the sound sig sounds pretty similar to my ears so no concern there, also, you can try switching the headband for jmoney headband, much comfier 

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 23
Base on the type of music you listen to, both the grado and HD25 seem to be a good match.

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 23
I listen to all those bands/artists and my DT880 600ohm do a very, very good job 
biggrin.gif
 But they do require a pretty decent amp. They are fantastic for gaming, too. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I listen to that music more than any other - Van Halen at the moment. For hours of headphone use you're going to want something comfy to wear and easy to listen to - before any other consideration. As rock appropriate as the HD25-1 or a Grado seems, either are unlikely to fulfill this requirement. 

Second, I suggest getting a sound card or USB DAC / amp - and not buying headphones alone. A B-stock AudioTrack Prodigy HD2 sound card sells on eBay for ~$69 shipped, but post in the computer audio forum for help with determining this purchase. Once known, post back in this forum with your remaining budget for help with your new headphones. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 23
After reading around a bit more I'm really starting to consider buying a pair of Grados, specifically the SR225i. From what I've read, they seem to be regarded as the best in the SR series.

Is there any specific place that is best for buying Grados, maybe with a return policy just in case comfort does really become a problem?

@1Time:
I don't really want to use part of my budget for a DAC/sound card right now. I don't think it would be worth it to spend my current money on two separate, lower quality, things. Especially when I know I'll be able to afford a ~200 DAC or sound card in December. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 23
No problem buying a source / amp later if that gets you the headphones you want, but be aware headphones can sound very different depending on the equipment they're plugged into. Also, you'll probably be better off with open headphones since closed headphones can lead to heat retention problems.

Quote:
@1Time:
I don't really want to use part of my budget for a DAC/sound card right now. I don't think it would be worth it to spend my current money on two separate, lower quality, things. Especially when I know I'll be able to afford a ~200 DAC or sound card in December. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
No problem buying a source / amp later if that gets you the headphones you want, but be aware headphones can sound very different depending on the equipment they're plugged into. Also, you'll probably be better off with open headphones since closed headphones can lead to heat retention problems.

Right. That's what I thought. I say unhappily with my onboard audio since my Droid's jack is broken (but it sounds better still). 

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 23
I have owned several grados. they all sound great, even the sr-60 and sr-80.

I don't know if you're ruling out iem's, but alot of them sound amazing and are super comfortable. One of my favorites is the sleek sa6 which is very crisp and has great bass. Also it has an adjustable eq system that lets you fine tune it to your preference. its by far the most comfortable of the many iem's i have owned (shure, ety, sony)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back