Headphones for about $150
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jackerpot

New Head-Fier
Hi, mi starting to produce electro house/dubstep, and I need a new pair of headphones. I can spend up to $150, and I need them to be neutral (flat). I'm going to use them on a studio, so I dont care if they leak sound or dont block outside noise.
What headphones do you recommend me?
I think they should be open headphones, right?

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi, mi starting to produce electro house/dubstep, and I need a new pair of headphones. I can spend up to $150, and I need them to be neutral (flat). I'm going to use them on a studio, so I dont care if they leak sound or dont block outside noise.
What headphones do you recommend me?
I think they should be open headphones, right?

Heya,

KRK KNS 6400
KRK KNS 8400
AKG K271 MKII
AKG K240 MKII

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you! Also, what headphone would you recommend me for LISTENING electro house/dubstep? (In that case, I prefer closed headphones, and I dont want other people to listen to what im hearing)

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thank you! Also, what headphone would you recommend me for LISTENING electro house/dubstep? (In that case, I prefer closed headphones, and I dont want other people to listen to what im hearing)

That's a highly preference driven question really. Some people like over-whelming amounts of sub-bass just pounding away. Some just want it to be neutral/flat and be as it was recorded at best. Some want it to have less bass so that they can hear all the little details and melody. How you like to listen to electronic music is completely up to you. I happen to like it to have a little more sub-bass than neutral/flat, but keep the mid-bass neutral/flat, in line with the mids and treble, but I also like to have a tiny extra bump in my treble, a little sugar on top so to speak, to make it a bit more exciting.

In the $150~200ish range, I like the Beyer DT770, AudioTechnica A900X, Denon D2000 (discontinued) and Mr Speaker Mad Dog.

And I equalize my headphones anyways since no headphone on the planet delivers exactly what I like to hear, signature wise. So really any headphone will do the task. But I like to start with something close to what I'm looking for, stock, and then tweak it to what I prefer.

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah for listening to dubstep the 770s are good. Also checkout the Ultrasones. And the DT990 I think would be great for listening but they're open back.

For the studio the ones Mal mentioned are good, or something like the Sony 7506. If you can swing ~ $200 the DT880 Pros would be great for dubstup/electronic studio use IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back