Headphones For A Rap Lover
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

ronnieb

Head-Fier
Alright, So I've decided that I'm returning the pair of Ableplanet noise isolating headphones as I don't wanna take the risk of them being crappy without me noticing it.

So that gives me $100 USD, which is roughly ~$122.54 with today's exchange rate, and I don't mind adding more, but my limit is $150.

All my music is rap and R&B encoded as MP3s at 192kbps -320kbps on my 80 gig Zune, and then I have some FLAC files on my Rockbox'd Video (which I need to replace the headphone jack).

I'm in the process of buying a Fiio E5 off a forumer here, as my ears are really yearning for quality sound, as music truly is my life. It's been there for me when no one else has, and its keeped me company (sad I know :p)

So here's the catch:

I can only buy them at a local vender, I'm 17 and have no way of ordering online.

So here are the stores I can get it from, unless I can somehow send a money order, or a forumer is selling a pair.

Best Buy Canada
FUTURESHOP.ca
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.
The Source By Circuit City / La Source Par Circuit City

Is there anything there worthwhile? Are there any forumers selling amazing earphones for my budget?

Also, I prefer a closed pair as I prefer no sound leaking. Just music for myself.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 38
Hello Ronnieb;

We've been having quite a PM discussion. I'll post my responses about phones here instead of by PM if that's OK.

So not being a RAP and R&B listener, can you or someone else tell me what are the most important aspects of these genre's from a sound perspective. I'm thinking for RAP midrange will be important as will bass, is this correct and if so is this the same for R&B or is their a lot of high treble sound in this genre as well?

Also are you needing these to not bleed their sound in to the air around you, and do you need strong isolation qualities for transit?

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the K81dj.

that doesnt exist anymore, it's already called "K518"
anyway, I'm changing my K518's (K81) to D1001 since it has better bass, is circum-aural and more comfortable..
then after I'm getting me some shure SRH440
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 38
what signature do you like? i love rap but not heavily bassy rap. i do love sleeks for instance though they are not bassy. for that price, hard to say but ne7m are great budget phones from nuforce. used phonak with earplugs instead of supplied tips have a fuller sound. lots of good suggestions here.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 38
FS has the the JVC HA-S700 for $79, here is a thread about them, they didn't seem to fair well in the thread and then near the end the one person who blogged about them said they sounded really good after alot of burnin.

Your Canada Computer Link has the JBL Reference 410 which according to this thread are supposed to be pretty darn good, some saying they are the PortaPro equivelant in a closed headphone. They might also do your budget some good
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 38
I have been talking with ronnieb about my Fiio E5 I'm selling via PM. He does not want an IEM but rather and over the head headphone.

FYI I am suggesting to him that the Amp is not the direction for for him to go at this point as he is still using the stock buds that came with his Zune. i also have explained the difference between his buds and actual IEM's but have not had a response back after that post yet. So he may change his mind about IEM's or he may still want to go with an over head headphone. Seeing as it is for his Zune I would think portable and semi-protable would be in order and prefereably something that doesn't need an amp to sound good to help stretch his 17 year old budget
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 38
Maybe look into the Denon D1001s.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 38
Dweaver I actually love you.

I really don't know what kind of headphones I like. The reason I don't love the Zune's stock buds is because of the fact that every time I take em out, they're always shiny and a tiny bit moist. I'm a very hygenic person and always use q tips, so this kinda weirded me out.

I just bought a pair of noise isolating headphones that use triple a batteries, that sit over and around your ears. I actually like that style, since I find it to be a lot more comfortable than in-ears.

I don't mind spending $150 at all, since I find that that's just a small price to pay to truly enjoy music.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what signature do you like? i love rap but not heavily bassy rap. i do love sleeks for instance though they are not bassy. for that price, hard to say but ne7m are great budget phones from nuforce. used phonak with earplugs instead of supplied tips have a fuller sound. lots of good suggestions here.

As for that, I love all kinds of rap, that's the thing about me. From hardcore underground to mainstream, and everything in the middle.

Dre, Pac, Eminem, Bun B, Jeezy, I truly like everyone, except for Rick Ross, whose latest album is a flop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back