Headphones for a pro gammer
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only true "pro gaming" headphones I know of are the Steelseries 5HV 2 headsets. If you know anything about pro-gaming in Korea, they're the official headphones used for the MSL.

I owned the 3.5mm version for about a year. They aren't built very well. Fell off my desk a few times and the right cup no longer plays sound. The mic is so-so. My new Logitech USB desktop mic is better than the one on the 5H V2.

They are semi-open, so some sound leaks. They are also very comfortable. I would have bought another to replace it, but other users are reporting right ear cup dying too. So I didn't want to spend $80-100 to buy a new one and only to have it break on me 3-5 months later. I got the first one for Christmas. Good gaming headset, but it won't withstand a lot of abuse.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for me there is only one Psyko

2-Overall-Image_lores.jpg

You beat me too it! I'm very interested in these phones.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1ce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You beat me too it! I'm very interested in these phones.

How the hell can that work. You have front and centre speakers on top of your head?! I don't get it.

EDIT: Never mind I found this:

"1. Each speaker is placed in a precise position to create the correct timing and volume difference to each ear.
2. WaveGuides (air tubes) connect each speaker to BOTH ears to deliver the correct timing and volume difference.
3. The WaveGuides direct the front sound across the front of the ear, and the rear sounds across the rear of the ear."

I guess it can work in theory.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats your Quake 3 nick? I followed pro OSP and later VQ3 CPMA scene so I probably heard of you.

Same as my head-fi nick. I was never a major tourney player, but I was a practice partner for a few people who were. You would only have heard of me if you played a lot on the OPC and Speakeasy servers back in OSP. If you've heard of Stinger, Shadow, Clast, Clown, Porky, Stuey Glock, Pangu, Sp1n, Fear - they're some of the people that I used to play with.

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #37 of 50
ok so if I understand it, open headphones are better than closed headphones to play. At the same time to play in LAN, headphones must be closed ... Too bad, I am more often in my home than in LAN.
So I'm ok, I'll take a open headphone. ATH-AD700 or Sony MDR-F1.

Where I can buy Sony MDR-F1?

And for you, what's the better close headphones to play?

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #39 of 50
dt770s are very fun headphones like many said, no problems in positioning too in my experience, try these settings if you play source games try these settings + snd_digital_Surround 1/snd_legacy_surround 0 in console Guru3D.com Forums - View Single Post - X-Fi CMSS-3D Headphone i would recommend you dt880 + good amp + cmss3d based on denl82 posts http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5079031-post10.html http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5185433-post9.html http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2751898-post9.html

If you want to go cheap i would suggest getting AD700 and be done with it, i use akg 601 atm but can't recommend them unamped

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by doppeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so if I understand it, open headphones are better than closed headphones to play. At the same time to play in LAN, headphones must be closed ... Too bad, I am more often in my home than in LAN.
So I'm ok, I'll take a open headphone. ATH-AD700 or Sony MDR-F1.

Where I can buy Sony MDR-F1?

And for you, what's the better close headphones to play?

The MDR F1 horizontal width and depth would be hard to beat at any price under a 1,000. Along with it's great spatial ability and holographic presentation. Also light as a feather, but very open.

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by doppeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, but I can't find this headphone, is not sold anymore ?

Depending on where you live, it might be hard to find if you want brand new. Audiocubes still has them in stock but pricey IMO @ $259: AudioCubes.com - Sony MDR-F1 Open-Air Headphones - MDR-F1 - At that price there's more gaming choices, especially from the Beyer camp.

I had them at one point a few years ago. Didn't think much of them. Great soundstage, supremely comfortable and light, as people say but I distinctly recall it being a bit on the muddy/warm side, typical Sony--didn't try them with gaming though. It has been at least 2-3 years however. Granted the pair I got, the ear pads were in bad shape, but it wouldn't affect the sound; just looked it up and had sold them for $40, heh.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$259: At that price there's more gaming choices, especially from the Beyer camp.

So you don't think that it's the best headphone to play?
Beyer need amp
frown.gif

$259 is not a good price ? he is better than AD700 and the AD700 = $159.99.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #44 of 50
You should be able to get the AD700 at amazon.com for only $97 shipped unless you live outside the US.

Also, since it doesn't require an amp, I'd say that it's a better place to start. Though, they're the only "audiophile" headphones I've tried so I'm probably biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back