Headphones for a pro gammer
Jun 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

doppeli

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
smile_phones.gif

I'm looking for a gamer headphones. I have the Icemat Syberia and the sound card xfi Fatal1ty FPS and I would move to the higher range.

Until now I always thought that hifi headphone and gamer headphone was different... gamer headphones was designed specifically for games but apparently is false, a helmet "gamer" is just a helmet with a microphone.

I am looking for the best in game, to locate the enemy as quickly as possible and isolate to LAN. I play at high level on the game counter strike.

I tried to get information on other topics, but I have not found all the answers I wanted. According to my research the DT770 is a good headphone for the game?

But I do not understand the different versions. 2003-2005, pro, customer, 80, 250, 600 omhs ... I'm lost.

What do you recommend? my budget is 250$-300$

Should I buy a headphone amp? Resell my sound card and buy a Asus STX?

helmet mmx 300?

I have already my icemat syberia microphone.

best regards,

Sry for my english...

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 50
I have the Sennheiser HD-595 which IMO are a nice general purpose set that work very well for video games. They are open air, however so they can be heard by others nearby you.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 50
On my behalf I can recommend ATH-AD700. It has very nice soundstage and helps a lot in positioning. People say that these don't need an amp. Other good phones that I have seen recommended are Beyerdynamic DT-880. Here is a good link to gamer headphones made by kool bubba ice.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 50
ATH-AD900 for even more high-end sound stage and sound overall. STX is good if you are on Vista and playing non-EAX games. If you are playing EAX games, keep the X-Fi.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 50
I preferred my DT770/80 to the AD900 when I had them both for FPS gaming. The AD makes you feel immersed, but the bass was lacking for explosions etc. Positioning might be better on the AD. However both are good choices for gaming, along with the A700/A900. A series are closed back, AD series is open, so the AD might be better for all round use, music + gaming. The A/AD series are easier to drive direct from a computer source, the DT770 needs an amp to really get the most out of it.

As far as the versions, when people refer to:
2003 - DT770/80 or DT770 Pro - These have the most bass, and can be muddy.
2005+ - DT770/250 or DT770 consumer edition - More balanced than the previous versions, but can be sibilant (highs).
There is also the 2005+ DT770/32 and DT770/600, the same as above just different impedance rating. The 600ohm is said to sound the best, but requires a nice amp to push. 32ohm obviously lower rated than the 250ohm version.
The MMX 300 you mentioned is said to basically be a 2005+ consumer version along with a mic attached to it; it seems to be pricey here in the US.

As far as sound card, yeah, you're better off keeping the X-fi. If you want to move up in sound later, probably look into getting an external DAC and run digital out to it from the X-fi, then use that for just music listening.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 50
thank you very much for your replies, very great forum!

So, headphones reference to play are:

Sennheiser HD-595
ATH-AD700
ATH-AD900
2005 + - DT770/250 or DT770

I think the DT770 is better for me because it is a closed helmet so it is better for LANs.

So with the DT770 250omhs and my sound card creative, I take a headphone amp? or I can enjoy it without?
darthsmile.gif

Thanks
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by doppeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, headphones reference to play are:

ATH-AD700
ATH-AD900

I second these. I think the soundstage that they provide, especially for certain things like FPS, etc. provide you a sense of positioning that you're not necessarily going to get with a closed phone. I know that for my FPS leanings, that I'd rather figure out exactly where a sound is positioned rather than the bass depth of explosives, etc.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second these. I think the soundstage that they provide, especially for certain things like FPS, etc. provide you a sense of positioning that you're not necessarily going to get with a closed phone. I know that for my FPS leanings, that I'd rather figure out exactly where a sound is positioned rather than the bass depth of explosives, etc.

Third, if you are playing FPS competitive like CAL matches, I would suggest the AD700 or AD900 if you have enough cash for the positional sound over the bass. I love the way people accuse me for wall hacking as I can hear every single one of them clearly and with a good judgement of their distance. (Tip: Turn EAX on in CS:S will make footsteps sounds go though wall
k701smile.gif
)

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Hello everyone,
smile_phones.gif

I'm looking for a gamer headphones. I have the Icemat Syberia and the sound card xfi Fatal1ty FPS and I would move to the higher range.

Until now I always thought that hifi headphone and gamer headphone was different... gamer headphones was designed specifically for games but apparently is false, a helmet "gamer" is just a helmet with a microphone.

I am looking for the best in game, to locate the enemy as quickly as possible and isolate to LAN. I play at high level on the game counter strike.

I tried to get information on other topics, but I have not found all the answers I wanted. According to my research the DT770 is a good headphone for the game?

But I do not understand the different versions. 2003-2005, pro, customer, 80, 250, 600 omhs ... I'm lost.

What do you recommend? my budget is 250$-300$

Should I buy a headphone amp? Resell my sound card and buy a Asus STX?

helmet mmx 300?

I have already my icemat syberia microphone.

best regards,

Sry for my english...

For competitive play I'd recommend the DT48.. Sound stage is average to above average depending on the source, but very coherent with great separation. Insane detail, clarity, speed, & transparency. For a more fun, colored gaming experience with 3D type depth, the AD700 can't be beat for the price IMO.. To me the ideal FPS headphone would be the Sony F1.. For 3rd person the DT880..

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 50
ok so AD900 is bound to be better for spatial rending . Moreover I dont need to buy amp-headphone . Allthough , as its an open headphone , did you go in LAN with the AD ? wich one between AD and sennheiser pc350 have the better isolation ?

why Kool Bubba Ice's Base says the AD700 is better than AD900 ingame ?

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

ok so AD900 is bound to be better for spatial rending . Moreover I dont need to buy amp-headphone . Allthough , as its an open headphone , did you go in LAN with the AD ? wich one between AD and sennheiser pc350 have the better isolation ?

why Kool Bubba Ice's Base says the AD700 is better than AD900 ingame ?

I think I can answer this. The AD700 has angled drivers to create a bigger soundstage than the AD900s, which are not angled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back