Headphones for a pro gammer
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by doppeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so AD900 is bound to be better for spatial rending . Moreover I dont need to buy amp-headphone . Allthough , as its an open headphone , did you go in LAN with the AD ? wich one between AD and sennheiser pc350 have the better isolation ?

why Kool Bubba Ice's Base says the AD700 is better than AD900 ingame ?

Sound stage.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 50
the senn pc350 is a closed headset and isolates very well. not the greatest sound quality though. fantastic mic

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #19 of 50
The only true "pro gaming" headphones I know of are the Steelseries 5HV 2 headsets. If you know anything about pro-gaming in Korea, they're the official headphones used for the MSL.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 50
Former pro gamer here, played Quake 3 OSP many years ago. Possibly future pro gamer if I decide to get into QuakeLive. Anyway...

Gaming headsets and 5.1 headphones are gimmicks. Your basic quality 2-channel stereo headphones will be just as good if not better for positioning. However a lot of these will a) be open and b) will require an amp. Lans tend to be noisy, and the only reason I'd go with an open headphone for pro gaming is if you're not using a voiceover program like Ventrilo to talk to teammates and you need to be able to hear them. Also, a lot of lans limit what you can bring so headphone amps may not be possible in a lan environment. If you're going to be playing only from home, though, you have a lot more choice and open headphones or hard-to-drive headphones are a possibility.

I use the DT770/80 pre-2005 version but I don't claim that this is the best gaming headphone, and of course it does need to be amped. I've been out of the $200-300 headphone scene for so long and there are lots of new models out there that I haven't heard. I also use an A900 from time to time and it works quite well too, though I prefer the DT770 in terms of positioning.

I think that a U-shaped frequency response with boosted treble and bass is much more suitable to FPS gaming than a linear or midrange-heavy response (i.e. HD595). You need to hear footsteps and armor pickups in Q3 (not sure about sounds in CS since I played it a grand total of 4 times all on lan) and a lot of that information is in high/low, whereas a lot of distracting ambient sounds (which you can turn off admittedly) are in the mids, and you don't want a very midrange-heavy presentation. So, stuff like the A900 and DT770, which does tend to boost treble and bass though not as excessively as a lot of consumer-level gear, works out really well. Ultrasones may work out pretty well actually; I hate these for music since they sound colored and artificial but for gaming they may work out really well with their good positioning and seriously boosted bass/treble. I had the Proline 2500 for a while but I never bothered to test it with gaming since I haven't touched a game in over 5 years.

Really, use your own ears. As a pro gamer you have a much, much better idea as to what you need than 99% of the people here. Audition headphones if you can and see how well they do for your needs.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Former pro gamer here, played Quake 3 OSP many years ago. Possibly future pro gamer if I decide to get into QuakeLive. Anyway...

Gaming headsets and 5.1 headphones are gimmicks. Your basic quality 2-channel stereo headphones will be just as good if not better for positioning. However a lot of these will a) be open and b) will require an amp. Lans tend to be noisy, and the only reason I'd go with an open headphone for pro gaming is if you're not using a voiceover program like Ventrilo to talk to teammates and you need to be able to hear them. Also, a lot of lans limit what you can bring so headphone amps may not be possible in a lan environment. If you're going to be playing only from home, though, you have a lot more choice and open headphones or hard-to-drive headphones are a possibility.

I use the DT770/80 pre-2005 version but I don't claim that this is the best gaming headphone, and of course it does need to be amped. I've been out of the $200-300 headphone scene for so long and there are lots of new models out there that I haven't heard. I also use an A900 from time to time and it works quite well too, though I prefer the DT770 in terms of positioning.

I think that a U-shaped frequency response with boosted treble and bass is much more suitable to FPS gaming than a linear or midrange-heavy response (i.e. HD595). You need to hear footsteps and armor pickups in Q3 (not sure about sounds in CS since I played it a grand total of 4 times all on lan) and a lot of that information is in high/low, whereas a lot of distracting ambient sounds (which you can turn off admittedly) are in the mids, and you don't want a very midrange-heavy presentation. So, stuff like the A900 and DT770, which does tend to boost treble and bass though not as excessively as a lot of consumer-level gear, works out really well. Ultrasones may work out pretty well actually; I hate these for music since they sound colored and artificial but for gaming they may work out really well with their good positioning and seriously boosted bass/treble. I had the Proline 2500 for a while but I never bothered to test it with gaming since I haven't touched a game in over 5 years.

Really, use your own ears. As a pro gamer you have a much, much better idea as to what you need than 99% of the people here. Audition headphones if you can and see how well they do for your needs.

Whats your Quake 3 nick? I followed pro OSP and later VQ3 CPMA scene so I probably heard of you.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #23 of 50
@yourstruly : ATH-AD700>5hv2 but it's not a "gamer" headphone, so you need mic !

@catscratch : there are a lot of noise over a LAN, you think I can play with an ATH-AD700 at LAN?
biggrin.gif

apparently the ATH-AD700 does not require headphones amp. That's why I prefer this headphone rather than the beyer. I can't take a amp headphone at LAN.

@Solid Snake : yes apparently the sony is a better headphone to play that the AD700
biggrin.gif

AD700 VS Sony MDR F1 gaming review.

but it is too open to play with it at LAN
frown.gif

So I think I'll take a ATH-AD700 and my sound card xfi Fatal1ty FPS. But I am very afraid that not enough isolated LAN.
I would like to test the PC350, the ATH-AD700, and the Sennheiser HD 280pro to compare.
beyersmile.png

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #25 of 50
LOL!!! I laugh my ass off everytime i see them! No matter how good they could be it looks like you are wearing one of those boxing caps the special ed kids get around with.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

@yourstruly : ATH-AD700>5hv2 but it's not a "gamer" headphone, so you need mic !

@catscratch : there are a lot of noise over a LAN, you think I can play with an ATH-AD700 at LAN?
biggrin.gif

apparently the ATH-AD700 does not require headphones amp. That's why I prefer this headphone rather than the beyer. I can't take a amp headphone at LAN.

@Solid Snake : yes apparently the sony is a better headphone to play that the AD700
biggrin.gif

AD700 VS Sony MDR F1 gaming review.

but it is too open to play with it at LAN
frown.gif

So I think I'll take a ATH-AD700 and my sound card xfi Fatal1ty FPS. But I am very afraid that not enough isolated LAN.
I would like to test the PC350, the ATH-AD700, and the Sennheiser HD 280pro to compare.
beyersmile.png

Both are very open headphones. Sound's like you need some isolation. The AD700 won't do you justice.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

I prefer choose a headphone with a feedback
tongue.gif

You mean one of those skullcandy subwoofer unit?

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #29 of 50
so the AD700 is not good for lan
frown.gif

I really do not know what to do, there is no better headphone than PC350 to LAN?

The best is to buy a headphone to LAN and AD700 or Sony MDR F1 to home, but I don't have enough money
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back