Headphones for a mobile phone
Nov 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

thobot

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone, which i use for listening to music on a daily basis( I don't want to carry around another gadget just for music). So far I've used Porta Pros, which were a big improvement over the bundled earbuds. Right now I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, and I need some advice. 

Should I buy more expensive headgear? Of course more expensive headphones have better audio quality, what i'm worried about is the audio hardware of the telephone. It makes no sense to buy studio quality headphones, if the telephone can't use their potential.
This is what i found about the audio output of the telephone, but to me it makes no sense (my phone is the white line):
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-review-478p6.php
They say it has good audio quality, but maybe just compared to other mobiles.

So really my question is: Is it worth it to buy a great pair of headphones for a great deal of money, or should i stay in the price range of the porta pros?

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:
Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone, which i use for listening to music on a daily basis( I don't want to carry around another gadget just for music). So far I've used Porta Pros, which were a big improvement over the bundled earbuds. Right now I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, and I need some advice. 

Should I buy more expensive headgear? Of course more expensive headphones have better audio quality, what i'm worried about is the audio hardware of the telephone. It makes no sense to buy studio quality headphones, if the telephone can't use their potential.
This is what i found about the audio output of the telephone, but to me it makes no sense (my phone is the white line):
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-review-478p6.php
They say it has good audio quality, but maybe just compared to other mobiles.

So really my question is: Is it worth it to buy a great pair of headphones for a great deal of money, or should i stay in the price range of the porta pros?

I've used both the Samsung Omnia and Omnia 2 and they had great sound quality, however they lacked in volume and were windows mobile phones -I do not know what the Galaxy phones sound like.

It should have better sound quality than other smartphones by Motorola for instance, but I don't know. You can read up this thread on the Galaxy S, but mind you what they are recommending is basically equivalent to what jail-braking is on the iphone and is risky.

All of that said, are you satisfied with the sound quality of the Portapro's? Do you want a better on-ear/circumaural portable or are you more interested in an in ear headphone? 

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 24

It should have better sound quality than other smartphones by Motorola for instance, but I don't know. You can read up this thread on the Galaxy S, but mind you what they are recommending is basically equivalent to what jail-braking is on the iphone and is risky.

All of that said, are you satisfied with the sound quality of the Portapro's? Do you want a better on-ear/circumaural portable or are you more interested in an in ear headphone? 

I think what you mean is rooting, and swapping the kernel of the phone, which i have already done. I've read somewhere that samsung provides the audio hardware for the iPod range, and that the galaxy phones sound very similar to those.

As for the porta pros - good sound quality, bad build quality - had to return mine three times in two years, some cheap plastic things always broke. It finally "died" when my dog got accidentally tangled up in the cables and yanked them out of the earpads. I liked the bass in them - it wasn't particularly clear, but still pretty good even at max volume.

Right now i'm looking for in-ear headphones, so far i've found two that i really like: sennheiser ie6 and shure se215, considering the $100 i'm willing to pay.
I've had trouble with in-ear headphones(the bundled samsung ones and my brother's a-jays ones), they keep falling out of my ears, but both the sennheiser and the shure has a kind of "clamp" on the cable that holds it in your ear.

Which one would you recommend, considering that i primarily listen to punk/rock/metal?

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 24
You want great sounding portable phone.. Simple WS55..Solid Bass. These are great as they have a complete sound and not just Bass.. You can read more about them on my thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass/75#post_7896552  Don't cost much. You should be able to find one for around $85. Perfect match for your phone.

There is even a WS55i model for ipod controls but the standard one would do you fine. If you can hear what these sound like. Not too many guys know about these but they are unreal good better than the M50 imo but in a portable.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
I like what you say about the WS55s...I might opt for these rather than the M80s.

Any way you could compare the isolation to, say, the HD25s? Is it good enough for a train commute?

You know what? I actually own the V-80s. Same as the M-80s..I prefer my WS55 to be honest.. Those are great sounding portables but they lack isolation and bass compared to the WS55. Without a doubt in my mind the WS55 are one of the best portable fun sounding portables on the market not too many headfiers know too much about. They isolate very well and once you stretch out the band a bit and use them they will become comfy. These are kinda supposed to be supra aural but they are more semi circum aural as they are not small and not full sized either.. I suspect because the HD25 is a true Supra aural on ear these WS55 will not isolate as well as those but. .They isolate very well actually. I think these are perfect for anyone looking for a good portable,  and there are 2 colors to choose.. The Red and the black the one that is on my signature. The red one looks very nice. I initially thought they were pink but they are a true red... I would try one..Out of all my portables these are my favorite and they don't even cost half the cost of a M-80 HD25.. Are they ever fun to listen to music with . Just a blast.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 24
Yeah I'm thinking I will definitely try these at some point...I want to see what the HD25 hype is all about, just because they are so well-regarded, but these look like more the complete package of what I want out of phones, especially with the mic...if these were single-cable they would be a no brainer.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Yeah I'm thinking I will definitely try these at some point...I want to see what the HD25 hype is all about, just because they are so well-regarded, but these look like more the complete package of what I want out of phones, especially with the mic...if these were single-cable they would be a no brainer.

Oh yea if you own an iphone. The WS55i. Cost a bit more but I would be all over one..If you listen to bass heavy tunes it is astonishing to me just how much bass these headphones put out when the track calls for it and then is completely tame on lighter tracks, it is unbelievable.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 24
If thats really the case I think these are the phones for me. I thought about getting the M50 for a while, I wasn't incredibly impressed when I demoed a pair but I've heard they improve a lot with burn in.

I would be using them with an Android but in my experience with other apple compatible products the mic and sometimes volume and call answer controls are still compatible

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 24
Forget about the M50s..Seriously these WS55 is what that phone should have been. These don't have that exaggerated highs those have and the recessed mids. The WS55 is balanced well for a bass heavy portable and therefore can do more than just bass heavy tunes..I would say most Audiophiles would probably appreciate the sound of the M-80 but music lovers that must have there big bass that is where the M-80 are on the mellow side..More proper I suppose for more genres but if you listen to anything with strong beats with attack the M-80s won't even come close to the presentation of the WS55s.. The WS55 eQed enters Bass head territory. With something like a E11 or a ZO2. forgetaboutit!!... SO while these might not be as technical as the higher end portables.. They will throw down the beats the M-80 can't. The sound is an energetic warmness and non fatiguing so you can listen for hours and hours and not get listening fatigue at all.. So far I don't think there is a single person that bought them that didn't love them as much as I have. Underrepresented under exposed.. These are truly awesome for the cash spent. Perfect portables actually.. Love walking around with big FAT beats using the WS55s.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 24
Thanks for the advice guys, but the WS55 is just too big for me.Walking on the street with those just makes you look stupid. I don't mind over-ear headphones, but i won't wear anything bigger than the porta pro. That's why i wanted IEMs. So I'm back to Senn IE6 vs. Shure SE215 vs. UE 600vi. I'm afraid the S4 or the ue500 will fall ut of my ear, that has been a problem for me with earbuds.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 24
I have a Galaxy S, and as far as I'm concerned, it's as good (if not better) than other music players. Definitely won't have a problem with whatever IEM you decide to get (I'm using shure 535's). Though if you want to get those with an inbuilt mic, make sure the polarities are appropriate (i think apple uses some weird variant, and those designed for iphones will not work properly). 

As to what earphones to get, that's a matter of personal taste, so you could try searching around the forums on what's been recommended for the various genres and so on. IMO the best is still to try and find a shop willing to let you try out the earphones and see what you like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back