Headphones for a drummer
Aug 9, 2007 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MoonBob

New Head-Fier
I play drums, presently in a Who tribute band. I'm using the Etymotic ER6i in-Ears and really like them. They cut out a lot of sound and I have no problem hearing the backing tracks we use on some songs. I'm not looking to replace them, I would like to have another choice as they can get uncomfortable when wearing them for a long time.

Cutting out as much sound as possible is the most important feature I need, as 41 years of playing has taken it's toll on my hearing. I've tried many noise-canceling headsets including the Bose, but they all distort when I play. I've tried many regular headphones too. Many of them do a good job on cutting out the high end, but they all make the low end boomier. I'm usually in a corner or right next to a wall, which doesn't help. I record in a nice home studio, but there isn't a dedicated drum booth.

I just discovered this forum and hope someone can recommend something.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 16
The Beyer DT 770M is a closed headphone designed for drummers. It has good ambient noise attenuation, good audio quality, high sound pressure level, secure fit, and a single-sided cable with a volume control.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 16
Ultrasone Proline/HFI 550

i didnt really listen to any drum heavy tracks, as my demo of them was on hfi-550's listening to "the orb" wich is heavy in ambience, and electronic based music.

those or the DJ1's wich also have in-line volume control, and pretty damn good isolation. my only dislkike with the DJ1's is the white color.

the only one out of these that stood out minutely was the proline 550, the addition of a metal "bufferboard" seemed to sharpen up the sound, whereas i though the HFI550's were kinda muffled in comparison.

heres the new "between the ears" interview with a drummer named Anton Fig. http://betweentheears.wordpress.com/

worth a look definately. but this is just another suggestion, many more will come.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 16
I am pretty certain that you require a pair of specialized headphones, specifically designed for what your criteria are. Such as these:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Now I haven't yet demoed either of those phones yet for myself, so I can't vouch for them. But if you have a Musician's Friend or Guitar Center close to where you live, I would suggest going into the store and demo-ing them. If they will not let you demo them, then buy both pairs and try them out for a few weeks. Keep the one you like and return the other pair, or return both pairs if you don't like them. Guitar Center has a great return policy.

As a musician myself, I can promise that 'normal' full sized closed headphones aren't going to get the job done if you are in a loud rock band playing live without cranking the headphone volumes to extreme, ear damaging levels.

The best I personally have used in such a situation are IEMs, and they do a 'decent' enough job. Since you already have a pair of those, and are looking for a full sized compliment, the only phones that come to mind that will likely suit your needs are the ones I linked above.

Granted, you will most likely look like a dork, but I personally would rather look like a dork than go deaf.

Getting side tracked for a moment here, and completely ignoring your criteria
smily_headphones1.gif
:
Probably the best overall solution would be a good pair of custom fitted IEMs, and then wear a pair of high quality passive ear muffs over top of the IEMs.

Good luck.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 16
if your not slamming the crap out of a drumset (downtempo stuff) headphones are perfectly fine for drumming. they can be less fatiguing and more comfortable for much longer periods of time.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your not slamming the crap out of a drumset (downtempo stuff) headphones are perfectly fine for drumming. they can be less fatiguing and more comfortable for much longer periods of time.

A normal pair of full sized headphones may just be adequate at live level volumes in a loud rock band. Most 'normal' phones will not isolate as much as the phones I linked to. As a result, the volume of a 'normal' pair of closed phones will likely need to be cranked to compete with the huge SPLs that are generated by a live band (at least of the bands I have been in). Which isn't very healthy for your hearing.

Perhaps the Ultrasone 'ULE' technology works well (can't say so myself, as I haven't tried those phones yet). As such, I am sure they are a probably a good candidate as well. I can't seem to find the isolation level (as measured in DBs) that the 550s provide. Does anyone know?

As for other 'normal' closed headphones (at least of the ones I have owned or tried over the years), they would be nearly useless when used in a live application, especially if your concerns are protecting your hearing, and being able to hear whatever it is you are monitoring through the phones without cranking the volume to unhealthy levels in order to compete with the extreme external SPLs.

Once again, the the best option are custom fit IEMs, and if you want even more isolation, throw a pair of passive ear muffs over top of the IEMs, such as these. I would estimate you would get somewhere in the neighborhood of 60(+)DBs of isolation out of doing what I suggest. There aren't a pair of full sized closed phones on the planet (at least not that I am aware of) capable of providing that kind of isolation).

Warning: But you will likely look like a dork doing it.

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 16
I currently play drums in a church plexiglass box and have to play quiet loud to get past the glass. The sound guy wont help me out much. I have had great success with AKG K81DJ phones. I move my head around when I play and these do not move once I place them on. Have worn them on a 1 1/2 hour set without fatigue. They isolate so well that I have to add some drums in the mix. I have tried many other phones but they seem to be heavy and want to move around, not good. And yes we play hard rock 20 % of the time, fun.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 16
Years ago...drummers used Fostex T-20's , but i dont know if the new ones sound the same.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 16
I would recommend the IEM route as I've not tried every headphone but many simply can't handle the uncompressed bass drum levels or simply the level of kick drum we're used to hearing/feeling. Since comfort is an issue due to the amount of time these might be in your ears, I'd recommend the Westone UM2 or Shure E5 series with custom molds for your ears. Both of these models handle massive low end signal and have a top end roll off which can be EQ'd to taste and are commonly used in the pro audio arena. These are in the $300 class-add $100 for custom molds. I've been following the Livewires blogs recently as they appear to perhaps have a bit less recessed high end and the price is very good for custom IEMs. I have talked to them and the company has several tour/studio drummers using this product. They have a unconditional love it or return it policy. Of course if money isn't an object, I'd recommend the UE product. I also use a Buttkicker on my roc-n-soc throne when playing electronics as this really does add that last bit of feeling you have a double 18 drum monitor sitting next to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back