Headphones for a drummer...
May 1, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #31 of 39
I'll say it again, BeyerDynamic DT831. They don't get alot of love on these forums for some reason I'm not too sure of, but I've been a dummer for years and these are the best I've found for it.

May 1, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
Headphones specifically designed for drummers:

Ultrasone PRO 550, Beyer DT770

drummer thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=drummers

Both are way out of his price range, read the rest of this thread please people!

May 1, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I'll say it again, BeyerDynamic DT831. They don't get alot of love on these forums for some reason I'm not too sure of, but I've been a dummer for years and these are the best I've found for it.

Here is a great price for these, they are b stock, but your bro won't care... http://www.headphone.com/products/b-stock/

May 2, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Corks.

What do you call a drummer with more than one brain cell?
Pregnant.

tongue.gif
ha ha very funny. I knew the drummer jokes would come out.

As a drummer, when I practice I like to have isolation, so I use either my UE Super.fi pros or HD-280s. At the gig it's the SF5Ps only. HD280s are in your price range. They get mixed reviews here, but it seems for the same reason. Some like the flat neutral sound and some just hate it. IMO they isolate very well and I find their "neutrality" makes it easier to hear little nuances in songs when learning cover tunes. Personally, I prefer IEMs when playing b/c they provide more isolation, so you don't have to bombard your ears with volume to get above the drums.

What do you call the guy who hangs around with the musicians in the band?
The drummer
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #37 of 39
As a drummer myself and speaking from experience I would recommend two models, Sennheiser 250 mkII, and Beyer DT100 - these are both studio 'phones' which is what he needs, 'hi-fi' headphones, many of which have been mentioned are not suitable, a good reproduction of 'mid-range' frequencies is what you need as opposed to bass and these both excel at that, particularly the Beyers, that's why they are used in studios all over the planet.
I use both with acoustic and electronic kits.
Pricewise, I am in the U.K. and I paid about £79 for the Beyers and £110 for the Sennheisers, but I am sure you could save by shopping around.

May 5, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Here is a great price for these, they are b stock, but your bro won't care... http://www.headphone.com/products/b-stock/

Well I took Redleader's and your advice and got the 831s at that discount you found and they've just arrived. I'm impressed. I only own stock headphones myself that came with my CD player so you can imagine how much I'm enjoying the few hours that I'll have with these.
biggrin.gif
Great advice all and thanks for going the extra step Slade and finding that deal for me! I think I'll have to visit back here later this summer to see if I can get myself a more high end pair of headphones for myself.
tongue.gif

Man, the isolation on these things is not half bad....

May 6, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishhiccups
Well I took Redleader's and your advice and got the 831s at that discount you found and they've just arrived. I'm impressed. I only own stock headphones myself that came with my CD player so you can imagine how much I'm enjoying the few hours that I'll have with these.
biggrin.gif
Great advice all and thanks for going the extra step Slade and finding that deal for me! I think I'll have to visit back here later this summer to see if I can get myself a more high end pair of headphones for myself.
tongue.gif

So now I can count that as a good turn? Glad we could help, and you're always a friend here man! Let us know how we can help whenever!
icon10.gif

Slade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back