Headphones for a drummer...
Apr 29, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Fishhiccups

New Head-Fier
Hello all. This looked like a great place to ask my question.

My brother's birthday is real soon and he's a huge drummer fanatic. He has these crap-tastic headphones that he uses (AKG K 55) that he loves because he's had them forever - but really he complains about them to me all the time. Mainly, he really hates how they have zero bass in his opinion (I concur on that part).

So I've been doing some shopping around and so far have decided my best route as of now is the AKG K 26 P. Honestly though, while I know a thing or two about headphones, my experience is pretty minimal. Suggestions???

They need to be super durable because my brother treats his stuff like crap and pretty isolating (I think, since he's a drummer, right? I really don't know and I obviously can't ask him....
rolleyes.gif
)

Thanks guys.

Ooo, and try to shoot for below $100 please. I'm just a poor college kid who loves his little brother.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 39
Wow, great suggestion about the HD 25! Can't believe I missed those...with all my *loads* of headphone experience. Heh.

And yea, those 770s are a tick out of my price range. Thanks though!

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Corks.

What do you call a drummer with more than one brain cell?
Pregnant.

Well glad to see some constructive criticism....looks like you and my brother would get along just fine.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 39
Closest would be HD650 because it has better bass than other headphones. But no headphone can accurately reproduce drums. It won't have the slam and you won't be able to feel it in your thoractic cavities. I think buying a big speaker would be a better gift for your little friend.

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
Closest would be HD650 because it has better bass than other headphones. But no headphone can accurately reproduce drums. It won't have the slam and you won't be able to feel it in your thoractic cavities. I think buying a big speaker would be a better gift for your little friend.

Erm....not to be rude or anything but I think you didn't really read my post.

For starters, he actually plays the drums instead of merely listening to them. Also, after looking up the HD650 and losing my lunch over the price tag, it would seem you missed my "under $100 please" qualification.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for answering though...

I wonder what my 18 year old brother would say about being called a 'little friend'. Haha.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 39
Honestly the K26 sounds like your best bet. It's got great bass and it's sealed. For a bit more is the K81, which has better overall balance and detail than the 26's, if you have the extra cash. (Plus the model number is "higher" than his current 55.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
)

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 39
If you want headphones for him to listen to music that he is playing along with. Go to the drum shop. I can't remember the name, but there is a headphone out there. Most isolating headphone I've ever worn, sound reproduction was heavily skewed to the treble range. You could tell there was drums there, it was easy to pick out the beat, but with no bass it was equally easy to hear and distiguish your own drum beats. Great headphones for learning drum beats from pre-recorded music. Worst headphone I've ever listened to for enjoying music. Cost on them is about a hundred bucks. Looks like a 1970's studio headphone. I can get the name if your local drum store looks at you cross wise, but I'm betting they'll know exactly what I'm talking about. If you want headphones for listening, go with the 25s. I love my 280s for their flat delivery, but the 25s are way more fun.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin
Smart stuff.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to try and remember the name. We don't live near that many stores in the first place and I'd be willing to bet 'drum store' is not one of them....

You brought up a very interesting point though. Should I be looking for headphones that DON'T have bass so he can play better? I thought all his complaining about no bass meant he wanted it while he was playing.

Maybe I should be getting him 'listening' headphones instead...

Grr....amazing how gift giving can get so complicated so quickly.
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 39
You may find an audiophile grade phone in your price range. I am wondering why noone still recommend it.

OK, buy ATH-A500 for your brother. I bet he'll thanks whole year to you. But it's $107 shipped from Japan.

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 39
a500 from what I've heard would be a good choice. I'm a drummer personally and for playing I use my Beyer DT831. Not heavy on the bass, accurate and with good extension but not 770 heavy or anything like that. Isolation close to my old er6i and perfect for drumming.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 39
I don't think A500's re sturdy enough for band use. They are good for home use, but probably wouldn't survive if you're in a band and need to carry it around a lot.

Apr 30, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I don't think A500's re sturdy enough for band use. They are good for home use, but probably wouldn't survive if you're in a band and need to carry it around a lot.

Yes... It's huge size... But IMO it's durable and sturdy enough at your head for long time use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back