Headphones/earphones with a similar sound signature as Sennheiser IE80s
Feb 5, 2015 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MrRockliffe

Head-Fier
I've got a pair of IE80s, but they're going back because they don't fit well at all (I've already tried loads of ear tips).

Problem is, since I love the sound of them so much (the BEST sounding headphones I've owned) I've been forcing myself to wear them, and don't really want to send them back. I must though, as I can only wear them at around 15 minutes a time before my ears get really painful, usually requiring me to wait until the next day to wear them again.

I've owned some good headphones before (Custom One Pros, DT 990s, HD8 DJs, B&W P5s), but they've all had at least one problem. With all beyers, it's the god awful quality of the drivers. I've owned 3 pairs of COP, and sent the 990s back for a refund as soon as the drivers blew (purchased them from Amazon because I had a feeling they'd break). Beyer also have rubbish customer service (I can proudly vote them 2nd worse I've dealt with, only losing out to Sony).

I'm now hunting for a pair of headphones to satisfy my needs. I'd basically love a pair of IE80s with a less sibilant treble. If they're earphones, they need to be as comfortable as my Bose IE2s, as I've yet to come across a pair that are. For headphones, they need to be REALLY portable.

I prefer a really bass sound signature, without it being bloated. Put it this way - the IE80s on max bass is about perfect for me (using the standard silicone tips).

I've looked at V-Moda M100s, but rubbish ear pads unless you get the XLs, and they're almost impossible to get hold of here in the UK.

I understand this is probably impossible to find, but I thought it was worth a try. Being a student, I can't have lots of headphones.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 18
I don't mind. Though, if they're on ear/earphones, they've got to be extremely comfortable.

I've owned B&W P5s before, and found them really uncomfortable. If they're not comfortable, then they're not good headphones, because I won't be wearing them much.

I've just found some M100 on Amazon Germany for 210 euros 'Like New'. Problem is, they don't look very comfy and to have the XL pads shipped here will cost a fair amount.

Even though the IE80s have gone back, I'm very tempted to buy them again, since I loved the sound so much. Comfort is what's putting me off though.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 18
The most comfortable headphones I know of, pretty much, are the Senn HD598. It's like you are wearing nothing at all. They are open, though--for what that's worth (sure you already know this). They come to mind whenever comfort is at a premium.

I am not very knowledgeable about IEMs, so I won't hold myself out as an expert in that milieu. Sorry. I know the custom IEMs can be very comfortable, but they are obviously (often) more expensive than standard IEMs. Maybe that is something for you to look at, if you want IEMs and don't mind going through the whole moulding process and expense. I suppose that could work for you.

Some things to consider, for the audiophile who is very particular about comfort.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 18
Assuming the IE80 is close to the response of the IE8, and this graph was taken with the bass port at max setting (or if you use an app like NeutronMP so you can correct it with a wide Q-factor EQ setting), the HD650 is your best bet among fullsize headphones. This graph shows they almost mirror each other from 1khz to 10khz.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 18
The 598s have been a consideration, but (I know this may sound silly) they're not for me aesthetic wise.

My music technology teacher has a pair of them so I'll ask him if I can try them out.

I've also booked a demo day at HiFi headphones here in the UK, as it's just around the corner from where my father lives. It'll give me the opportunity to go and have a look at many different types.

How easy/hard are the HD650s to drive? And if I remember correctly, they're open are they not?

Not ideal for me, as I'll be travelling a lot (listening to music in the morning on the bus to college).

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 18
How easy/hard are the HD650s to drive? 

If you're listening in a quiet enough room even an Ibasso D-Zero will have enough clean power for them. Not as good as, say, my Meier Cantate.2 (I have both), but if it's been days that I haven't heard them with the desktop amp I tend to forget already how much better it is, but even then it's not exactly night and day.

And if I remember correctly, they're open are they not?

Not ideal for me, as I'll be travelling a lot (listening to music in the morning on the bus to college).

Since you didn't mention "closed" headphones I thought what you meant by "truly portable" was something you can easily transport from place to place, which is easy to do with the HD600 and a relatively small amp (I can put the D-Zero in the Sennheiser packaging along with the headphone, then put that in a backpack; or a cavernous camera backpack where the amp and the headphone sans box can have separate compartments; or something like a customizable padding pro-equipment case from Pelican).

The 598s have been a consideration, but (I know this may sound silly) they're not for me aesthetic wise.

My music technology teacher has a pair of them so I'll ask him if I can try them out.

I thought open headphones weren't ideal?

And if I remember correctly, they're open are they not?

There's just a foam pad behind the mesh, normally, to protect the drivers from larger debris like hair. This is a modded version without the foam to allow a more (or fully) open space for the driver to do their job, at risk of course for debris.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Well, I'm mainly looking for a good pair or headphones I can take with me, as I can always get a pair of half decent IEMs for commuting.

I've got a Fiio E07K, and I'm assuming it's plenty to power the 650s. I've not used it for ages, and with my motherboard offering support for 600 ohm headphones, I was almost tempted to sell it to put the money towards a pair of headphones.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 18
Well, I'm mainly looking for a good pair or headphones I can take with me, as I can always get a pair of half decent IEMs for commuting.

I've got a Fiio E07K, and I'm assuming it's plenty to power the 650s. I've not used it for ages, and with my motherboard offering support for 600 ohm headphones, I was almost tempted to sell it to put the money towards a pair of headphones.

598 and 650 are laughably bass light. And they're open and just not portable at all. The IE80 has a very unique sound signature for an iem, so to get that kind of bass and open warm sound you're gonna have to spend a bit of money. The JVC FX850 sound even more open, have great bass impact, have a traditional fit instead of the IE80 over ear design (since it sounds you might have a large outer ear) and they're made of wood. $298 here in the states is a bit of a steal. Not sure how much they are in your area but that would be ideal, and in my opinion they found better than the IE80.

As for over ears, the Vmoda with XL pads still wasn't very comfortable for me. The Sony MDR-1A is still bassy albeit perhaps not quite as much but the comfort is leagues better and they are indeed quite portable and stylish IMO

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 18

You can just get a decent, $100 or less IEM for portable use. A lot of IEMs in that price range now are cheap enough to be used as beaters but they are known to punch well above their price point - look up the Havi B3 Pro and TTPod T-1E. I'm just waiting for my MEE M6P to kick the bucket (and listen to either of those) before I decide on which one to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back