Headphones driven properly = poorer results.
May 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Captain Magenta

Head-Fier
Ok I know this is controversial but I recently owned some Superlux HD660s and the best they ever sounded to me was using my little Fiio E1 out of my iPod.  These are 150 ohm headphones so they were surely being under-driven, however the sound seemed just right. Every other amp I've tried made the bass boomy and the sound was just underwhelming. Anyone else experienced this?

May 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 9
The E1 probably rolls off in the bass like its older siblings E5 and E6. I can't say for sure. You might like that.

So you're back :)

Ok I know this is controversial but I recently owned some Superlux HD660s and the best they ever sounded to me was using my little Fiio E1 out of my iPod.  These are 150 ohm headphones so they were surely being under-driven, however the sound seemed just right. Every other amp I've tried made the bass boomy and the sound was just underwhelming. Anyone else experienced this?

The biggest issue with the expression "driven poorly" is that most people define it as "sounds bad/underpowered" which is not a definition at all, by that non-definition, the Superlux were properly driven with the Fiio E1.

May 2, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 9
E1 specs in fiio website states that it will output 12mW into 300ohm. The HD660 needs only 8mW at 150ohm to reach 108dBSPL.

So I would say that they were properly driven.

May 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Boomy bass could be a few issues... including bad impedance mis-matching. I don't know what other amps you tried, but its possible that was at play.

May 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Boomy bass almost always means the output impedance of the source is way too high, from what I understand.  The higher the output impedance the lower the electrical damping factor will be, meaning the driver will be more likely to go out of control.

May 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Boomy bass almost always means the output impedance of the source is way too high, from what I understand.  The higher the output impedance the lower the electrical damping factor will be, meaning the driver will be more likely to go out of control.

Makes sense, learning to under stand impedance is one heck of a tough subject for me without actually being able to hear how "proper" and "improper" impedance sounds

On that note EQ is fun stuff, takes some time though espically when you have a few programs used to modify the sound >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back