Headphones.com is giving away a pair of Creative Aurvana Lives: Tell us about the best live show you've ever seen
Oct 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #47 of 78
Best concert I have ever been to was The Flaming Lips during the earth day concert in DC back in '09. Not necessarily my favorite style of music, but they are definitely some good performers/entertainers. Plus their lead singer rolls across the crowd in an inflatable hamster ball, and who doesn't think that would be fun?

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #48 of 78

Quote:
Best concert I have ever been to was The Flaming Lips during the earth day concert in DC back in '09. Not necessarily my favorite style of music, but they are definitely some good performers/entertainers. Plus their lead singer rolls across the crowd in an inflatable hamster ball, and who doesn't think that would be fun?

I saw them on the same tour. Really good stuff!

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #49 of 78
The best live concert I've ever been to would have to be Fashion Rocks '07 at Radio City Music Hall in NYC.  Among others, the performers included Aerosmith, Mary J. Blige, Fergie, Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, Avril Lavigne, Jennifer Lopez, Ludacris, Maroon 5, Martina McBride, Santana, Carrie Underwood and Usher.  It was quite an epic night, to say the least.  In particular, it was interesting to see such a diverse selection of music performed all at the same event.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #50 of 78
Best live show I've seen to date: Metallica's World Magnetic Tour in 2008. Probably the loudest show I've ever been to (thank God I had my ER-20's), amazing laser light show and pyrotechnics. Plus, Lamb of God opened up for them, and I think they were even louder than Metallica was. I saw them at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA.

A close second would be when I saw Yes and Peter Frampton at a local venue in Santa Rosa, CA.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #51 of 78
Best show I ever went to was a Sufjan Stevens concert at NYC. Incredible folk songwriter which would make you believe that his concerts are intimate affairs. That is mostly true but with his newest album Age of Adz he did away with slow folk and molded strong lyrics with acoustics and electronica. The setlist was mainly from this new album and it was absolutely electrifying. 1 hour dance routines with thousands of ballons being dropped on everyone in the ballroom. Blacklights and interpretive dancing galore, and there was a damn movie that synced with the songs in the background. Mad psychedelic. Great experience. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #52 of 78
The best live act that I have seen so far is, without a doubt, Fair to Midland. We have gone to the same bar to seem them perform two times in the last year and are looking forward to seeing them again in the coming months. The energy of their live show goes unrivaled. The whole club was thumping.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took from near the front of the crowd. This performance was only a couple of days after Anchors & Arrows was officially released so it seemed like the whole band was full of energy and excitement. I have long been a huge fan of their CDs so seeing them live was a great moment.

I have seen a number of great bands perform (Seether, Staind, Stone Sour, Nonpoint, Papa Roach, Skillet, The Doobie Brothers, and Disturbed, to name a few). While I have yet to see a bad show, nobody has even come close to comparing to Fair to Midland. They have an incredible catalog of tracks and they executed them perfectly. If you ever get a chance to see these fellas put on a show, don't pass it up. They have also consistently had terrific opening acts (Scale the Summit stands out a great deal) so the entire evening is sure to be a blast.

Perhaps the best part of the night was getting to hang out in the loading area after most of the people left. We stood around with the band members, sharing stories and drinking some cold beers. For those of you that are familiar with Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job, you may remember a segment about business hugs. There is one hug in particular that my friends and I often pull out of the arsenal called The Give and Take. Toward the end of the night, the lead singer of FtM joined us in a business hug. That was one heck of a memory!

They were all very cool and talented young men. They were also very humbled by our compliments. It would be hard to tell just from talking to them that they're in such a great band. Their talent never seemed to get to their head.

If anyone here is in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area of Iowa (or willing to make a trip), they're scheduled to make another stop at The Wheelhouse on December 12th! It's a Monday night but it is definitely worth going to!

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #53 of 78
I'd have to say the best live show (granted it is theater vs. concert) was to go see Wicked in San Francisco.  The acting was great - they did really good in making the singing and the dialogue sound incredible.  

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #55 of 78
The worst live performance I've ever seen would be Blink 182.  I didn't want to see them but they performed after Weezer whom I only barely wanted to see.  I didn't buy the tickets.

So anyway, I saw Blink 182 a couple years ago and they were god awful.  They're old now, playing songs aimed at tweens.  It isn't right...  So the band, in an effort to.. hold onto their now nonexistent youth, they cursed and used sex-related terms non-stop when they talked -- having some kind of mid-life crisis, I guess -- and I think they're all married with children now; so not only is their music terrible, but they were incredibly annoying as well.  Somehow the crowd was enjoying it, however; even a pair of my companions.

On the bright side, I left early so I didn't get stuck in the end-of-large-concert traffic.

As a side note, the best shows I've seen were Screaming Females and Tokyo Police Club.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #56 of 78
The best concert I ever attended was seeing Roger Waters do the Wall in Philadelphia. From the airplane coming down and the construction of the wall which was over 30 Feet tall. In 40 years of going to live shows this one topped them all. The sound was incredible and the production was in another league. Mt favorite show with super musicians performing one of the greatest rock albums ever conceived and performed flawlessly.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #57 of 78
The best live show was in my locality, when the company where I work for, was in their 40 anniversary. A lot of national folklore singers and dancers. Was an excelent and inolvidable night. :wink:
I'm from Guayana City, Bolivar State, Venezuela. :-D

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #58 of 78
The best live show I have seen must be Cat Power in a small venue sometime last year. I managed to get the tea cup she drank from the entire concert afterwards, and I use it for my own tea
and other beverages today. Girls also threw their bras at her in the middle of the show and she put on a flattered but awkward facial expression. Haha.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #59 of 78
Without a doubt the worst live show was a fundraiser I attended for breast cancer.  The band was a pretty prominent local band and normally I like amateur local acts but only if they are at least competent enough as a band to be a LITTLE bit polished.  The whole show was one big random jam session with long pauses of one or two minutes while the band conversed.  Perhaps they were sorting out a setlist? Who knows.  What I do know is that there was about 200 or 300 people there and the sound was deplorable.  I asked someone who worked at the venue why it sounded so jacked up and distorted and he informed me that a band members uncle used to run an A/V company and put the system together and set it up himself.  Wonderful.  I was embarrassed for the band and for all who attended.  It was awesome!  Sometimes things are so bad they are good.

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #60 of 78
The best show I've been to was Salmonstock music festival. It was in the small coastal town Ninilchik, on the Kenai peninsula, in Alaska this summer (2011). It was three days of music from daybreak to late in the night, rain and shine. The whole festival was in support of Alaska's salmon runs, an integral part of our economy and culture. They are threatened by mining ventures and other human activities... But, Seven Walkers with Bill Kreutzmann (Grateful Dead) played and it was an awesome show. Spirits were high as the rain pounded and soaked every inch of earth all day and night, 15ft tall steel welded salmon blew flame into the sky, ganj was in the air, the beer garden overflowed, and it was all for a good cause! Just like these headphones would be a grand cause to my poor (wallet) college ears, because I want to get back to that live experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back