Headphones, check. Amp, not so much.
Aug 25, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent advice, as Yamaha also makes very decent entry-level receivers. The headphone outs have bloated bass on all five models I listened to, but that's less of a problem with the k701 than other cans.

Seems you have a solid answer, courtesy of head-fi's collected wisdom. Get a Yamaha receiver, and save up for an amp to run out of the tape-out.

I am kind of confused, sorry. I should get a receiver and then save up for an amp in addition to the receiver? Could I just get an amp without the receiver?

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawkes77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am kind of confused, sorry. I should get a receiver and then save up for an amp in addition to the receiver? Could I just get an amp without the receiver?

Here's the thing: if you're only going to have one, the receiver is a better bet. It will allow you to get a digital signal out of your PS3, as well as connect other equipment. It will also amplify your headphones reasonably well. A headphone amp usually accepts only one source, so if you want to listen to something other than your PS3, you're out of luck. You would also have to unplug the red and white audio cables from the TV everytime you wanted to use headphones -- not a good solution.

The problem is, not all amplification is the same. If you're investing in really top shelf headphones like the k701s (and hanging around this forum too much) you may eventually want to upgrade your amp to something built specifically for the purpose of driving headphones.

That's a long way down the line, though. For now, I still think a receiver will serve you well.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 26
Worth mentioning: the Rx-V663 has video upconversion of all sources to HDMI, and accepts audio from your PS3s HDMI 1.3 spec.

Might be worth thinking about an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Here's the thing: if you're only going to have one, the receiver is a better bet. It will allow you to get a digital signal out of your PS3, as well as connect other equipment. It will also amplify your headphones reasonably well. A headphone amp usually accepts only one source, so if you want to listen to something other than your PS3, you're out of luck. You would also have to unplug the red and white audio cables from the TV everytime you wanted to use headphones -- not a good solution.

The problem is, not all amplification is the same. If you're investing in really top shelf headphones like the k701s (and hanging around this forum too much) you may eventually want to upgrade your amp to something built specifically for the purpose of driving headphones.

That's a long way down the line, though. For now, I still think a receiver will serve you well.

I don't have any other equipment though, so that is where a receiver seems slightly useless to me. Also, I don't have anything else to hook the amp up to other than my PS3.... Sorry for being so contrary, I just really want to understand each side of the argument. Aren't all amps built to specifically drive headphones?

Quote:

Worth mentioning: the Rx-V663 has video upconversion of all sources to HDMI, and accepts audio from your PS3s HDMI 1.3 spec.

Might be worth thinking about an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

That's REALLY expensive looking at my budget, and considering I don't plan on buying speakers for at least six years, haha.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #20 of 26
If "just" you buy a headphone amp you will not have any surround sound vitualization for headphones like the mentioned SC or DH. SC and DH can be very useful when your intention is to better pinpoint other players/enemies.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppxnouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If "just" you buy a headphone amp you will not have any surround sound vitualization for headphones like the mentioned SC or DH. SC and DH can be very useful when your intention is to better pinpoint other players/enemies.

Nice, but a receiver will? This would definitely make my decision.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 26
Yeah, most any Yamaha receiver would have silent cinema.

Check ebay or better yet your local craigslist for a better price.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #23 of 26
I've officially decided on the 661 receiver, and I would like to know every person's opinion on headphones. I am looking at the Senn 595's and some Audio-Technica headphones, any info?

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 26
I used 595s out of a Yamaha receiver exclusively for about 6 months and enjoyed it a great deal. They're very good for movies and gaming, and not half bad for music.

I ended up trading them for HD 580s, however, and preferred those in every way. Since they're about the same price used, you might want to consider doing the same.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

I used 595s out of a Yamaha receiver exclusively for about 6 months and enjoyed it a great deal. They're very good for movies and gaming, and not half bad for music.

I ended up trading them for HD 580s, however, and preferred those in every way. Since they're about the same price used, you might want to consider doing the same.

Do you have any experience with the Audio-Technica 700's?

Also, Thank You EVERYONE who has contributed to this thread and my knowledge.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 26
I second the 595's or the more affordable 555's. This line of headphones has a nice open soundstage, which is good for gaming and they are buttery sweet with music. Plus, they are both easy to drive so you can use them in multiple sources without worrying too much about amplification...of course it can't hurt
wink.gif

They are both such good sounding and versatile headphones that you really can't go wrong. Plus, they are very comfortable to wear for long periods and you ears won't sweat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back