Headphones, check. Amp, not so much.
Aug 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Fawkes77

New Head-Fier
Hello to all of you and welcome to my thread. This is my first post, but I have done a bit of research on the internet in general, and over at AVS forum, but this seemed like the most appropriate site to get a final and definitive answer.

Situation - I own a PS3, no receiver, and a 46" Sharp television. I like to think that it offers good sound, because I can hear when people are behind me (in COD4) with just 75% accuracy. I cannot afford a good set of speakers now, so I was looking to invest in a good set of headphones. As of now, I am looking at the AKG K 701's because they are relatively cheap, and have gotten rave reviews.

Problem - Now that I've chosen the headphones I would like, I am a bit confused on how best to power and support them. Some people say amps, and at least a few said receivers. If I was going to get a receiver, it would be the Yamaha RX-V-661.

Question - In your opinion, do you think that an amp or a receiver would be better suited to my needs?

I sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong section and will gladly make a new post in the correct section so that this may be deleted without a hassle.

Edit: By the way, my budget is anywhere from 400-700 dollars. I am not sure how much I want to spend yet.

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 26
If hearing moves "behind you" better is the major purpose of your new setup -> Did you check if you can really locate people by the sound they make when you just get stereo sound from your headphones ?
As far as I know the PS3 does not offer build in "Dolby headphone" or something comparable.

Even if I might engage some audiophiles discontent -> Maybe you should consider something like the JVC SU-DH or as an alternative a receiver that offers "Dolby headphone".

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppxnouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If hearing moves "behind you" better is the major purpose of your new setup -> Did you check if you can really locate people by the sound they make when you just get stereo sound from your headphones ?
As far as I know the PS3 does not offer build in "Dolby headphone" or something comparable.

Even if I might engage some audiophiles discontent -> Maybe you should consider something like the JVC SU-DH or as an alternative a receiver that offers "Dolby headphone".

People with the lower-grade Astro A40 gaming headphone setup claim to be able to pinpoint people with sound, would this be more because of the amp that comes with the headphones?

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 26
Honestly, a receiver is what you want here.

Amps are great to have, no doubt, but the next logical step for you is a receiver. Get a decent one you can hook some speakers up to at a later date, for more realistic surround sound.

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 26
+1 receiver

ALSO: Don't double post.

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

People with the lower-grade Astro A40 gaming headphone setup claim to be able to pinpoint people with sound, would this be more because of the amp that comes with the headphones?

Astro's A40 does 5.1 -> "Dolby headphone" processing AFAIK.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 26
Any headphone processing of any sort is done within the computer itself.

You can get matrixing programs to simulate surround with any headphone/amp you please, but they all suck.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 26
Sorry if I was not precise enough.
The "Dolby headphone" processing is done by the A40 box (mixamp) that comes with the Astro A40 headphones.
That might be the reason why your coplayers are able to pinpoint people that good with their headphones.
This is just an assumption. Maybe you should get your 701 first and see if the stereo signal is good enough for you to pinpoint people behind you.

:: Astro Gaming :: Product Detail :: A40 MixAmp™ ::

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old Yamaha doesn't have Dolby Headphone but has many presets for headphones. Not as good but still great.

Overall, I think SC is better then DH.. DH does offer a little better seperation, & is a bit more spacious.. But SC images better, is more distint with more body & weight, You with the option to modify the different DSP's makes it a winner IMO.. Also can be used with HD codecs, 96/24, etc..

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppxnouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be sure: With SC you mean Yamaha's Silent Cinema ?

yeppers.. I A/B them both, DH with my HK 146 receiver & my Yamaha 1800.. I sold my HK 146..

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 26
Excellent advice, as Yamaha also makes very decent entry-level receivers. The headphone outs have bloated bass on all five models I listened to, but that's less of a problem with the k701 than other cans.

Seems you have a solid answer, courtesy of head-fi's collected wisdom. Get a Yamaha receiver, and save up for an amp to run out of the tape-out.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent advice, as Yamaha also makes very decent entry-level receivers. The headphone outs have bloated bass on all five models I listened to, but that's less of a problem with the k701 than other cans.

Seems you have a solid answer, courtesy of head-fi's collected wisdom. Get a Yamaha receiver, and save up for an amp to run out of the tape-out.

Thank you. What models have you tried? I don't find my V1800 bass to be bloated at all.. Not nearly as tight & defined as my Balanced 650s with my DAC1 I used to own.. But good enough.. My receiver actually drives my 340's pretty well too.. Big difference compared to the HK 146.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back