Headphones by genre of music?
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

omigawsh_lollercoaster

100+ Head-Fier
Do you consider some headphones more suited to a particular type of music?

Example: I use my 'so-n-so's' for rock and my 'these'm phones' for classical, etc.

Or did you get your particular headphones with a music type intended?

Example: I use 'brandX 666's' cuz they're the most awesome for jazz, etc.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't heard Grados, yet, but it's the general consensus that they're great for rock. I love my ATH-AD700's for classical. Well, I like 'em for almost anything else, too. But, anything that needs bass (see: MC Chris) I use my ATH-M50.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 4
I usually break down headphones (and speakers) along lines of how well they'll do with acoustic music and electronic music. Headphones that do acoustic very well seldom handle electronics. I don't mean just synths, etc., but distorted electric guitars and bass, and other types of electronic music.

So anything that does well with acoustic music (e.g. jazz, classical, bluegrass, vocals) tends to do well on the same headphones or speakers. Rock and electronica are usually exclusive to the others. There's some overlap and exceptions, but that's usually where I find the divide.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 4
AD900 are reportedly exceptional cans for electronica, with the proviso that you understand the difference between tight bass and slam bass. Personally, I prefer all-rounders in most instances, but any pair of cans you buy should generate excitement with your choice of music, IMO. Thats more important than fitting them into a stereotypical 'these are serious rock cans' mold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back