Headphones better than HD280's at $100?
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bigpapi

New Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting the HD280's and before I buy them I want to know if there are better headphones at this price. 
I listen to a lot of electric/techno music and game a little
thanks

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes, there most certainly are!  On the topic of the HD 280, I'd like to echo a few things said by other esteemed members here...

Mercutio:
I'm not a big HD280 fan. I'm pretty sure that's where music goes to die.

Duggeh:
Let me be concise and to the point.

The HD280 are ****ing awful headphones. They are **** and **** some more. I would not wish them upon the most ignorant of Triport owners, who at least own a set of headphones that sounds fun.

The HD280 is a cancerous contagious sexually transmitted infection which causes terminal ugliness and misery. If you are someone who delights in every single instrument sounding wrong, every voice sounding like an X-factor reject and every sense of ergonomics thrown out of the window of a speeding truck and crushed under a following bus, then by all mean, go for them, they're everything you want.

Elsewise, I would not say even to the most ignorant and stupid of all users on this site that they are worth even the slightest sliver of a damn.

Buy something else. For the love of God, by something else. Something thats open backed, radioactive and has sharp edges covered in poison would be better for safe and isolating use.

Having said that, are you looking specifically for over-ear (circumaural) headphones?  Or will on-ear (supraaural) headphones suffice?

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Yes, there most certainly are!  On the topic of the HD 280, I'd like to echo a few things said by other esteemed members here...

Having said that, are you looking specifically for over-ear (circumaural) headphones?  Or will on-ear (supraaural) headphones suffice?

thanks for posting and giving me all that feedback on the 280's. I prefer over-ear headphones but am open to suggestions for on-ear headphones too. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 5
You're welcome of course.

For a circumaural set, I'd say that the Numark Electrowave is a good solid choice.  The bass response is solid without being fatiguing.  Mids and highs are somewhat veiled, but surprisingly not recessed to hell like most DJ cans.  The MSRP is $249, but you can find them floating around Amazon for about $100 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZIQX2A/).

For a supraaural set, I'd say the Pioneer SE-MJ751.  There are a couple of threads here on Head-Fi that talk about that unit.  You should do a search for those threads, as they have much more information in then than I could list here.  They used to cost well over a hundred bucks.  But lately, I've seen them on Amazon for around $70 or so.

EDIT:  BTW, both of the above are closed-back cans (I just assumed that you would be taking these out of the house).  If you're ONLY going to be using them at home (i.e. a quiet environment), then there are other options.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 5
  You're welcome of course.

For a circumaural set, I'd say that the Numark Electrowave is a good solid choice.  The bass response is solid without being fatiguing.  Mids and highs are somewhat veiled, but surprisingly not recessed to hell like most DJ cans.  The MSRP is $249, but you can find them floating around Amazon for about $100 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZIQX2A/).

For a supraaural set, I'd say the Pioneer SE-MJ751.  There are a couple of threads here on Head-Fi that talk about that unit.  You should do a search for those threads, as they have much more information in then than I could list here.  They used to cost well over a hundred bucks.  But lately, I've seen them on Amazon for around $70 or so.

EDIT:  BTW, both of the above are closed-back cans (I just assumed that you would be taking these out of the house).  If you're ONLY going to be using them at home (i.e. a quiet environment), then there are other options.

The CAD MH510's are basically a rebrand of those Numark Electrowaves. Because InMusicBrands or whatever owns the companies (AKAI, M-AUDIO, NUMARK, ETC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back