headphones below $50
May 25, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 24
Quick Update:

Give the Panasonic Buds serious consideration, though the included sleeves are incredibly microphonic. They have much more forward and stronger vocals than the EX71s. If you were to consider all things being equal between the two (and they're not), the better vocal representation on the HEJ50S and their price ($10 less than EX51, $20 less than EX71/81s) makes these a serious contender.

By the by, the better vocal representation makes the trebles less harsh. Great balance overall.

However, the included sleeves are clearly more microphonic than the EX tips/sleeves. They also do not seal as well as the EX Tips. All things being equal, the EX tips and the HEJ drivers makes a good combination.

With the $20 that you saved, I'd seriously consider in investing in a set of EX Sleeves to use with the HEJs.

And yes, you can sleep on the HEJs on your side, they don't protrude as much as the EX series.

May 25, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
However, the included sleeves are clearly more microphonic than the EX tips/sleeves. They also do not seal as well as the EX Tips. All things being equal, the EX tips and the HEJ drivers makes a good combination.

With the $20 that you saved, I'd seriously consider in investing in a set of EX Sleeves to use with the HEJs.

Wow, are the EX tips that much softer? I didnt have a problem with microphonics walking from class to class today, although i ran the cord under a hoody today so that might change when i just wear a T-shirt. So far the Pana's have had no problem making a proper seal with my ears, they're like earbuds but you just press them in more to make the seal. I like how much easier they are to seal that the E3c's, those were a pain in the ass even when i was sitting down. Hope they get even better with burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #18 of 24
Sennheiser HD497

May 25, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #19 of 24
My sennheiser ranking:

1) PX100 (a bit more refined); HD497 (a bit brighter, more rock-ey)

2) (likely) HD201

May 25, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #20 of 24
I use the AKG K26P quite a bit when I'm traveling and enjoy it a lot. The closed-back ear cups do a remarkable job of noise isolation given their small size and the leatherette pads are quite comfortable. The entire headphone folds neatly into a micro-fiber bag that fits into my briefcase without a problem.
They sound great too with wider response and far better definition than you'd expect from a headphone in this price class.

May 25, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #21 of 24
Yep, the K26P looks pretty interesting, I just wonder about the difference in sound (e.g. balance) with the K24P.

May 25, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
My sennheiser ranking:

1) PX100 (a bit more refined); HD497 (a bit brighter, more rock-ey)

2) (likely) HD201

I listened to the Senn. HD201 at the Detroit meet this past weekend (Tyll from headroom handed them to me and said what do you think then told me the price wow for $20.00 you can't go wrong) and I am going to get a set for my father for father's day.

May 27, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
anyone else with suggestions?

Since Lini seems to be away at the moment let me throw the Labtec Elite-840 (aka Creative HQ-1300) into the mix. When I first got these I was a little disappointed. They sounded thin and bass shy. As they burned in they started to smooth out but still didn't have enough bass (alright, I'm a basshead, there are you happy now?). Then I decided to try using them with the 75ohm adapter that I use with my KSC35/75. WOW! Where was all that bass hiding? And it's good bass. Well extended but not boomy (ok, I did EQ the bass up just slightly but I EQ the bass up on almost all of my headphone including the KSC35/75). Mids and Highs are clear and well balanced without sounding bright at all. At this point I prefer them to my KSC35/75 (not as much bass but better quality bass, better balance between the mids and highs) and my HD497's (more forward and lively, more fun). My SR-80's w/ flat pads are better at everything than these are but the 840's stomp the snot out of the Grado's with bowl pads (to be fair, I HATE bowl pads).

My only complaint would have to be the comfort. They aren't horribly uncomfortable (like bowl pads, did I mention that I really HATE bowl pads?) but they are supraural and I prefer circumaural and I'm pretty spoiled with the HD590's.

I know the adapter doubles the price but you can still get both for under $50 and I think you would be hard pressed to find anything better at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back