Headphones at for at home and on the go with CowonS9?
May 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Powaaah

New Head-Fier
I just started getting into the audio scene and I am a complete "newbie." The only audio products I have are the Cowon S9 with my Klipsch image s4, and my Audioengine A2s. As of now I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that would sound great at home and on the go(with the cowon).

My ears are decent, (somewhat perfect pitch) and I value all the ranges: low, mid, and highs. Despite the strong bass on the Klipsch s4, I am by no means a bass head but I do like a bit of thump due to the fact that I listen to a lot of DnB, some rap, and hip hop. However, I also enjoy music with jazz, vocals, and classical instruments. Pretty much I want the best rounded phones. I'm running on a tight budget (around $70-150?), and I would like to get some input on which pair of cans would satisfy me.

*Would like to know which are good open and closed headphones in my price range.

List of headphones I've looked at. (not heard)
1. Grado SR60 / SR 80
2. Sony MDR-V6
3. Shure SRH440
4. Audio Technica AD700
5. Audio Technica ATH-MD50S
6. Audio Technicas ATH ES-7
7. Sennheiser HD 25-SP II

Of course seeing as how I have obviously no experience with headphones, my options are much broader than the ones listed above. I understand that to get truly audiophile quality sound I'd have to spend LOADS more than my budget, but I'm just aiming for a good listening experience. Again, I'd like to know what the best open and closed options are available. *Aware of the fact that closed dont sound as natural as open? but I dont want major leakage of sound around me.

Help would be appreciated !

May 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 13
I just received the Grado SR60i and I love the overall sound quality, but the low range is seriously lacking. I know its there, but theres no impact. Other good points are that it works nicely with my Cowon s9 (loud without needing to go past half the volume bar) and that it is fairly comfortable. (though the ear pads get fairly warm.) I'm assuming to get the type of low end I'm looking for, I would need to get closed headphones? Some suggestions would be nice. Thanks.

May 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 13
I own the S9 and you'll need something very efficient with this DAP. The power of the output was a disappointment to me (and no, I do not have it running with the limited EU setting) and I'm constantly using it close to the max when I'm on the go. I've used it with KSC-75s and Sony V6s and it has enough juice for both, but the V6s are clearly right up to it's limits (I end up at 34-38 and it maxes out at 40). Both sound great with the S9, but while the V6s do fold up nicely there is quite a bit of microphonic noise and the cable is both heavy and bulky.

May 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 13
I own the S9 and you'll need something very efficient with this DAP. The power of the output was a disappointment to me (and no, I do not have it running with the limited EU setting) and I'm constantly using it close to the max when I'm on the go. I've used it with KSC-75s and Sony V6s and it has enough juice for both, but the V6s are clearly right up to it's limits (I end up at 34-38 and it maxes out at 40). Both sound great with the S9, but while the V6s do fold up nicely there is quite a bit of microphonic noise and the cable is both heavy and bulky.

May 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 13
I would say the Audio Technica ATH AD 700 are the best open headphones in your price range.

For closed Shure SRH 440 or Audio Technica M50.
Good deals on the net you could get the Shure 440 at www.jr.com for $69.99 with a phone order.

Audio Technica m50 goes around for $100-115.

Yes closed headphone have more bass than open headphones.

M50 has a lot of bass. I never heard it though.

And stay far away from the Sony Mdr v 6 awful headphones I feel really sorry for anyone who thinks their getting good sound from those.

May 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Wat. IEMs for me doesn't need to be louder than 20. My ES7 when paired up with the S9 doesn't need to be louder than 21-22.

And the max is 40. How are you even hearing anything with it turned that loud? At 18 other people can start to hear the sound from your IEMs if you take it off. At 38 you are blowing a hole through your drivers.

May 17, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 13
The AD700s or Alessandro MS-1s are your best bets for open cans in that price range.

For closed, the Shure SRH440.

May 17, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:

I have to call shenanigans on that. At 40 my HD 555s will completely isolate a busy street that I'm walking along (I usually use 23 or 32, and around 10 in a quiet room if not bleeding sound is paramount. I sort of like picking out my music from disruptions in the background, quirky). If you are using headphones that are so inefficient then maybe you should be considering a portable amp. No DAP should be held to those ridiculous standards.

May 17, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I have to call shenanigans on that. At 40 my HD 555s will completely isolate a busy street that I'm walking along (I usually use 23 or 32, and around 10 in a quiet room if not bleeding sound is paramount. I sort of like picking out my music from disruptions in the background, quirky). If you are using headphones that are so inefficient then maybe you should be considering a portable amp. No DAP should be held to those ridiculous standards.

It's kind of hard to call V6s and KSC-75s inefficient.

Well, what can I say?

I have excellent hearing
I have the S9's region set to other than Europe
When I listen to podcasts to fall asleep (insomniac) I put the volume in the 7-12 range.
When I'm on foot or on my bike in the city I need to push it beyond 32 just to be able to hear what people say.

May 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
It's kind of hard to call V6s and KSC-75s inefficient.

Well, what can I say?

I have excellent hearing
I have the S9's region set to other than Europe
When I listen to podcasts to fall asleep (insomniac) I put the volume in the 7-12 range.
When I'm on foot or on my bike in the city I need to push it beyond 32 just to be able to hear what people say.

Well, I have atrocious hearing and I think the S9 has enough juice for any 'portable' headphone. I have no doubt that unless you like causing more hearing damage than I already do, the S9 is just fine in that regard.

Inefficient refers to any phones you may use that have high impedance + low sensitivity, which obviously doesn't apply in your case (but in the case that you're trying to drive say, an HE-5 out of an S9). So yes, it is irrelevant in your case.

Having high volumes is more of an issue of lack of isolation rather than little juice, is it not? I'm pretty sure JH16s would do fine at very low settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back