Headphones as gifts?
May 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
Is this a good idea?

I've been thinking about getting headphones for a couple people as gifts and I need some suggestions.

My best friends birthday is coming up and I was thinking, since he is using the cheesy sony headphones that came with his walkman, he might appriciate a real pair. I was thinking of maybe the Sony V6 or AKG K81 DJ. Is there anything else in that price range that would be good? I guess the most important thing would be comfort, and since he won't be able to try them before he buys them, they would have to be univarsally comfortable.

The other person is my brother. He has a pair of Advent wireless headphones that he really likes, but when I wear them, all I notice is the static. Is there a good pair of wireless headphones out there? If not, what are some recommendations for him? They would be used mostly for gaming, and I wouldn't want to go over $100.

Thanks for the help.

May 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 22
It's a great idea...no sizes to worry about, plus they'll more than likely be astonished.

The only thing you really need to worry about would be musical preferences, so something that's not too bassy, or too bright. I'm sure you'd like to keep expense down as much as possible. You just want to sort of whet their appetite. The most likely have an iPod, right? So something portable but good but that they can also plug into a PC. Someone will mention the MS-1 or SR-60. I won't though.

I'll recommend the PX-100, PortaPros, or iGrados. They're cheap, good, and will work with anything. They will introduce your friends to better audio and it will be something they can take with them when they go on a trip or on a bike ride, or whatever.

I left out the KSC 75s only because the LOOK really cheap...like you're giving them a toy. I love the sound, but I can't get past the looks.

May 7, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll recommend the PX-100, PortaPros, or iGrados.

I'll put in a strong vote for the PortaPros. I've had several pair over the years, and I am constantly amazed at how good these things sound for only $40. Nicely balanced overall sound, slight bass emphasis (without being overdone) and really terrific imaging for the price. I'm using them at this moment with my PC to troll for new artists on MySpace.

I've also owned the PX-100s, which cost about the same: 40 bucks or so. These sound pretty similar to the PortaPros, but noticeably not as good, in my opinion. Highs not as relaxed, bass significantly more bloated. Many people do like the ergonomics on these; they fold up really small. They come with a well-built hard case that won't really fit in a pocket, but will securely protect the PX100s in a bag or backpack. Some people really like these.

Quote:

Someone will mention the MS-1 or SR-60. I won't though.

O.K., I'll bite
smily_headphones1.gif
. The SR60s are, in my opinion, the best deal out there if your sole criteria is sound. To my ears they sound simply amazing. A clear cut above the PortaPros and the PX-100s, for a still reasonable $70 or so. Not in the same league as the significantly more expensive phones some Head-Fiers love, but an absolutely great phone for all around listening.

That said, I should point out that some here at Head-Fi refer somewhat disapprovingly to a signature "Grado sound," which for some reason they don't like. Definately one of the idealogical divides you will find around here. Call me a Grado partisan; I think their phones are outstanding, and to me they sound natural and musical. I don't believe you can do better than this for under $100. Again, just my opinion.

The SR-60s are also the largest and bulkiest of the phones I've recommended here. They can be used portably, but they are really not designed to absorb the abuse that constant portable use can entail. They really are better suited to staying home.

Please note that all of the phones mentioned in this post are "open" and block relatively little sound in either direction. Using the SR-60s in public, I did occasionally get requests to turn them down.

May 7, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 22
Agree that the KSC-75 makes a great gift. For most people with iPods, these are a slice of heaven. I've given a pair to each of my 12 nieces and nephews and several other people.

May 7, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 22
Headphones as gifts aren't a bad idea. It may look kind of weird getting a new pair of headphones, but they'll enjoy them once they put them on! My usual vote is for the KSC75s. Extremely light and comfortable, sound great, and of course, cheap. If the looks bother you, then there's always the usual array of less weird-looking portable cans like the PortaPros and the PX100s, which will also probably amaze them with the sound while being lightweight. The K81DJs reportedly have quite a clamping force, so they probably aren't the most comfortable.

May 7, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 22
I think if I were you, I would look into buds or clip-ons for your best friend. Over-the-head headphones may seem a bit too much for your best friend for portable use. Maybe AT cli-opns (EM-series) or Sennheiser buds. Yuins sound GREAT for an earbud, but they are ugly - uglier than the iBud. If they don't mind the over-the-head, then go with those (as others suggested)

I would think that you need to spend a considerable amount for good-sounding wireless sytems. I tried my dad's wireless Sennheiser he bought in Singapore for S$500 and the static is still there, but not bothering. Its SQ is good but if you spend the same amount on a wired headphone, it'd be way better. My K701 will kill that wireless Senn any day..
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS. I don't mind headphones for my birthday!

May 7, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 22
How are the ATH-ON3s? I really like my A900s, and I like Audio Technicas style. It would be fun to give him something that no one else around him has.

May 7, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 22
The bride and groom at a recent wedding I went to each got a pair of KSC-75s. No word back yet.

May 7, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 22
I think clip ons would be best, since he is using these right now.

mdr-j10-blue.jpg

Are the KSC 75s the best option? I am willing to spend a little more money. Around $50.

May 7, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

It's a great idea...no sizes to worry about, plus they'll more than likely be astonished.

Um, you guys all forgot the first, second, and third rule of audiophile conversion. That is, the vast majority of people do not care about SQ, and gets annoyed when we audiophiles pushes it on them. It's a concept that I struggle to grasp with, but that's the way it is. What if your friend is one of those people who can't tell/don't care about the difference? I think it's possible that things might get a little awkward... I say buy him a cake with the money. Everybody loves cake.
wink.gif

Seriously though, haven't you had one of those experiences when you walk into an art gallary that reviewers rave about and it's just not your thing? I think audiophiles need to understand that perhaps it's not that 'normal people' don't know, maybe they don't care. And we should be OK with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, you guys all forgot the first, second, and third rule of audiophile conversion. That is, the vast majority of people do not care about SQ, and gets annoyed when we audiophiles pushes it on them. It's a concept that I struggle to grasp with, but that's the way it is. What if your friend is one of those people who can't tell/don't care about the difference? I think it's possible that things might get a little awkward... I say buy him a cake with the money. Everybody loves cake.
wink.gif

Seriously though, haven't you had one of those experiences when you walk into an art gallary that reviewers rave about and it's just not your thing? I think audiophiles need to understand that perhaps it's not that 'normal people' don't know, maybe they don't care. And we should be OK with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think people who love/know music care about SQ. My roommate is a bass player and he was using those $5 JVC Jelly earphones and I bought him a pair of ksc75s and he loves them! He could totally hear the difference in SQ with them

May 7, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Every bud user I've let try my headphone out didn't want to return them. I loaned my beloved iGrados to a co-worker and had to beg for them back after a week. But yeah...maybe a nice coffee maker would be better. Bleh. I hated saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back