Headphones and violins…
Mar 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Agreed, but is seems the FR graphs of dynamics almost always look like a mountain range in the upper-mids and highs.

Interestingly, I tried a cheap mod of my K701's that is simply a piece of chamois under the foam donut, with a section cut out of it so that it is roughly "c" shaped. It's really hard for me to describe the effect of this, but I have decided that I like it and will keep it there. It's quite subtle, but I think maybe it makes the sound more coherent, with just slightly less noticeable separation of instruments. I've read some have a hard tome listening to the whole spectrum because it's so easy to focus on just one thing, like a guitar or violin or piano. I think this mod "gels" everything slightly. But like I said it's very subtle so it very well could be that I'm "just hearing things".....pun intended
k701smile.gif

In my opinion anything blocking the sound from the drivers to the ears does bad things to the resolution and clarity, but I don't doubt that your mod brings down the upper mids/lower treble even more than the stock foam donut does to even out frequency response.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 53
In spite of the slightly fake violin tone on the K701, (more volume resolves this issue, somewhat) I love the resolution of these cans… alas! If there was a can with the tone of the Wharfedale and the transparency of the K701

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 53
Mar 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 53
I like the GS-1000's for Concertos, and the RS-1's for smaller ensembles and solo violin. The GS-1000's are the better can overall for violin in the wooden lineage of the Grado line. Other than that...R10's and Omega II's are quite nice but well, we are in the stratosphere with these. I too find the Senns lacking (but maybe the 800s will fix all that).

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 53
I haven't tried a lot of headphones mentioned in this thread, but I do use the HD650 most of the time to listen to a lot of classical music and find them perfectly acceptable. The violins come through perfectly fine solo or in ensembles. I think the level of realism depends on the recording. One of my favorites is the DG (remastered?) recording of Milstein's Bach Sonatas and Partitas is extremely live and reverberant, as if you were 5-10' away from him and his beautiful Strad in a studio. I'm hoping to compare the HD650 with other cans someday...

The HD650 also projects a wide soundstage and I rarely get any fatigue listening to them as I might listening to compressed music on an iPhone with Triple-Fi10's.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HD650 also projects a wide soundstage and I rarely get any fatigue listening to them as I might listening to compressed music on an iPhone with Triple-Fi10's.

This is a nice bonus with the HD650's. I think when people mention they aren't the best, it is because well, they have had the oppportunity to listen to better pricier headphones. But in the price range, HD650s are hard to beat
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 53
Neither the Lambda nor the K501 are pricier than the HD650. In fact, they can sometimes be had for much less. The K501 can be slightly harsh sounding though, depending on components upstream.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #23 of 53
I personally wouldn't choose the 501s over the HD650s for well, anything actually, the Lambdas though...it is a toss up.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 53
I stated it in my post as well, but I wanted to make it clear that I haven't heard the K501. Unkle Erik is the one that really likes it's sound. I think he even prefers it to the K701 which I have heard.

I hope he pops up on this thread. I'll shoot him a PM and see if he wants to comment here.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why must you always "forget" planar headphones?
wink.gif

Planars are a learned taste. I'm still learning to love my Fostex T50RP's. But right out of the box mids are a new kind of real. A live feeling in the vocals that had a kind of Grado GS1000 feel to them. (and <100.00 US).

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Why must you always "forget" planar headphones?
wink.gif

Just to bug you.
biggrin.gif

I've heard the 404, OII and HE90, but not long enough to really endorse any of them. I know their reputations, but usually someone from Team Planar shows up with much better informed recommendations.

I'll get around to an electrostatic rig one of these days. I know - all dynamic headphones with an array of planar loudspeakers. Go figure.

Also, I should have mentioned the AKG K-501. It's tonally "right" like the K-1000, but without the huge benefit of folding earspeakers. Though the prices are pretty reasonable in comparison.

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Planars are a learned taste. I'm still learning to love my Fostex T50RP's. But right out of the box mids are a new kind of real. A live feeling in the vocals that had a kind of Grado GS1000 feel to them. (and <100.00 US).

In my opinion the T50RP requires at least some basic modding of the enclosure and driver to sound good. Compared to my other planars, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to bug you.
biggrin.gif

I've heard the 404, OII and HE90, but not long enough to really endorse any of them. I know their reputations, but usually someone from Team Planar shows up with much better informed recommendations.

I'll get around to an electrostatic rig one of these days. I know - all dynamic headphones with an array of planar loudspeakers. Go figure.

My offer still stands. If you haven't gotten some real planar headphones in a month or two, I will send you anything you want of mine to try out. I can pay for shipping to you and you can pay shipping back.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the Beyerdynamic DT48. The K-1000 is also "right" with strings, but doesn't quite have the same inner detail and resolution. Nothing does, short of the Quads, AMTs or ribbons. I spent my time in the woodwinds, but sat close enough to the strings for a good listen. The DT48 gets them right.

In comparison, the K-701 is in the minor leagues. Its tonality is off and can sound "plasticky."

Actually, I feel the 48a is a bit better in that area then the 48e.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

In my opinion anything blocking the sound from the drivers to the ears does bad things to the resolution and clarity, but I don't doubt that your mod brings down the upper mids/lower treble even more than the stock foam donut does to even out frequency response.

there are many designs which come with a foam disc between the driver and the ear (Denon, AKG, Koss, Grado, Sennheiser, etc), most of them, the disc benefits things (its getting the perfect density/mass material for the job that makes all the difference, and I've seen a number of people find AKG's choice on the K701 "subpar" for their preferences)

as far as "best for violins", listening to an actual violin
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif

second to that, ESP/10's or K701's (and I wtvr to what erik thinks
tongue_smile.gif
)*

* This statement reflects only the opinion of the poster, and does not constitute a solid or objective reference, as it is based purely on listening experience and personal preference. Furthermore, this opinion is not that of 20th Century Fox, its owners, subsidiaries, or affiliates.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

I totally agree.. De foaming my 650's did wonders to it. (including the foam behind the driver) The DT48 doesn't have foam covering the drivers.. I say foam is used more for safety reasons then influencing the sound for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back