Headphones and tube amps: Why would you recommend...
Jun 11, 2006 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pendergast

Head-Fier
Hello!

I am in the process of acquiring a SEXperimenter tube amp from Bottlehead.

I already have a nice set of headphones (Grado's 225) which I really enjoy. The music I listen to is varied, with emphasis on voices, strings, experimental, and rock.

Given a few years living with my Grados, having experienced PINTs and SR71, as well as looking for a different type of sound than my QUAD 77, I decided to go for DIY, aiming specifically at tubes. My choice is the SEXperimenter.

Now, what would you recommend in terms of headphone, and why that choice for that amp?

I am fantasizing about GS-1000, although I have not heard one yet. I once had Sennheiser, but did not like them much, especially after I tried the Grado SR-60 (then upgraded to 225).

So? What would you suggest again, and why?

Thank you in advance,

P.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 5
We all have different ears so you will get different opinions. Of the current Grado line in production I have had GS1000, RS-1, and RS-2. For the money your best bet is the RS-2, you get about 90% of the RS-1 at a significant savings. If you get them used you can grab them for about $400 delivered.

My favorites are the RS-1, detail, punch, smooth, just the best of the current crop. I did not care for the GS1000, they are in their box and I will ship them back tomorrow. Why? because it has lots of highs and lows but no mids (imo).

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Why don't you try a nice AKG with your Bottlehead?

If you like vocals and strings, you can't go wrong with the K-501. At $129, it's probably the best deal on the market.

The K-701 has been the FOTM around here for some time now. The GS-1000 seems to have taken the FOTM mantle, but AKG makes a quality headphone. You might also want to consider the K-601. It hasn't had the same uproar, but a number of owners are happy with them.

Finally, take a look at the BeyerDynamic DT-880. Those are popular, too.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you all for the suggestions.

mrarroyo, I am curious of the number of hours you gave the GS-1000. Some say they require 100 hours of break-in.

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back