Headphone with very large huge soundstage
Jul 11, 2004 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bogo2

Head-Fier
I have the PhilipsHP1500 System with Dolby Headphone Amp. There ist the Philips HP1000. But thes cans are very unconfortable for small heats. I dont want more weare them.. Now I have also the Sennheiser HD595. But I want for Homen Cinema Listening a headphone that has a very large, huge sound stage . The HD595 is very detialles and clear. But has a bit a small sound stage. The HP100 has a great sound stage, but i cant wear it because i have a to small head for these large head bands.

Which is the headphone with the largest sound stage? Ok. The Sony CD3000 perhaps. But i dont want wear them because they are to bright for me.

Thanks

Andy

Jul 11, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 16
From what I heard,K1000 has the largest soundstage.But they are bright too,and damn expansive,and need expansive amp,and have almost no bass.CD3000 is the best option for u i think and they might not be very bright,depends on gear.

Jul 11, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 16
Other than the K1000's, the widest soundstage I've heard is the CD3000's with the R10-style woody cups. Not only does the soundstage widen quite considerably, but the brightness of the highs is tamed and the bass becomes more defined and extended.

Jul 11, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 16
AKG K 501. A sound-stage so expansive, many people feel it sounds artificially exaggerated.

With appropriate power, I really dig these phones. Do a search, and you'll find a multitude of sometimes heated debates in regard to the 501s...

wink.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
AKG K 501. A sound-stage so expansive, many people feel it sounds artificially exaggerated.
wink.gif

I disagree. The k501 has a wide soundstage, but it has no depth to it whatsoever (as far as I can discern, powered off an MG Head). The CD3000 has a MUCH larger, and "rounder," soundstage. It is much more enjoyable and accurate IMO.

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 16
HD595 has farrrrr less soundstage imho but they are a bit more refined, both headphones are very competetive next to each other but i prefere the hp1000 over the 595 becouse it is more comfortable to me and has the best soundstage there is for a 100-250 euro headphone. anyways my head is quit small too but they are very comfortable to me, gues your one of the few unlucky ones that find them uncomfortable. the only option is the k1000 but that one is a bit to expensive. Their are not many headphones that have as much soundstage as the hp1000 becouse they were build for it (philips doesn't call them "suround headphones" for nothing
icon10.gif
)

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
sony mdr-r10, akg k1000, Stax Omega II, Stax Omega I

edit/ Forgot omega I!

Those are nice and cheap.Might even get all four so he can switch between and enjoy different sonic signatures.

Jul 12, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake
I prefer the hp1000 over the 595 because it is more comfortable to me and has the best soundstage there is for a 100-250 euro headphone.

Careful, it seems as if you are implying that you can get the HP1000 for €250.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 16
for about us$150 you can have the sony cd1700 used. extremely wide soundstage, awesome for dvd, with silky warm mids and very good detail. plus they are the most comfortable headphones i've tried.

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 16
You can
biggrin.gif
I think he is referring to the Philips HP1000
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Careful, it seems as if you are implying that you can get the HP1000 for €250.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I disagree. The k501 has a wide soundstage, but it has no depth to it whatsoever (as far as I can discern, powered off an MG Head).

actually, i would characterise it as being in the middle of a large concert hall - everything is just presented as is, just there for your enjoyment; no having to 'pick' through layers here. ymmv.
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 16
I would be careful about using a hugely wide soundstage for home theatre, because phones that emphasize extreme left and right can have trouble reproducing a solid center stage. My Philips 800-series phones had that problem. Since most of the important audio is mixed toward the center, you could end up with hollow-sounding dialogue, etc. Also, you will need to try the headphones with the screen you'll be using, to see if the soundstage width seems like it matches the screen size. If a character says a line just off-camera, you don't want to hear the sound come from 50 feet to the side.

This is one of those situations where it is important to audition the phones and be able to return them if necessary.

I have found that my A900 gives me a reasonably wide soundstage for my (smallish) projection screen, but I especially like it for its ability to reproduce center info such as dialogue quite well. Plus it has some isolation. An excellent overall compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back