Headphone with bass and air
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shabda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

can anyone think of a headphone with ~ harman 2018 bass but a could amount of air in the highs?

i love my shure 1540’s but sometimes i wish they had a bit more air.

open backs welcome!

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 8
Beyerdynamic DT990

Philips Fidelo X2HR/27

The DT900 is very V-Shaped and great for gaming. It is well-made and super comfortable. It has the qualities you are looking for, but I sold mine because it was too V-Shaped and did not sound natural when listening to well recorded tracks.

The X2HR/27 is an excellent headphone with a mild mid-bass emphasis, but excellent treble extension. I have it and the HE-400i which compliment each other very well. The X2HR is more fun sounding than the 400i and has great bass thump when the track presents it. The treble is detailed enough to keep chimes, cymbals, and echoes easily discernable. I love this headphone for every genre of music if the tracks are recorded well. It's a very scalable headphone too! The better your gear and music become the better this headphone will sound.

Both of these headphones are open-back so if sound leakage / isolation is a concern look elsewhere. Also, both are NOT portable.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Ok, had to double check if 'closed' was a factor, and no it wasn't. AT R70X has bass for an openback and has much air due to being open. It's almost like HD650 with fuller bass that extend better, but the upper-mids not as refined however.

Interesting. The measurement doesn't reflect the bass differences between the two. I guess the difference is really the impact of the bass and FR doesn't express that.

graph (4).png

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 8
As far as I can tell the 58x sounds similar and measures similarly to the 6xx, but has less treble energy. Below is a link to some measurements and a review.

Massdrop HD58X (revised) Review and Measurements | Super Best Audio Friends

I'm not a big fan of the bass on the 6xx nor 5xx line from Sennheiser. That roll off is just too much to get any real impact until you turn the volume up way too loud.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Oh I mean after pairing the 6xx with the bh crack. I’m trying to figure out if an amp can really linearize a roll off like i see on diy heaven’s page for the 650 and kameleon pairing.

what are some your favorite cans? For comfort or sound or otherwise. I put them as equals actually.

(I’ve found that I really need my headphones to be a lightweight plastic build and oval shaped)

edit: sorry i got you two confused but i’m curious anyway about amps and their ability to elevate sub bass / reveal sub bass potential in a high impedance phone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back