headphone weights
Feb 9, 2020 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Shane D

Headphoneus Supremus
I did a search on full size headphones and could not find a thread about headphone weights. I did see a couple in specific threads, but nothing for the overall forum.

I get bored so easily…

Anyway I bought a scale a while ago from Amazon.ca. It's stated purpose is for weighing babies. In our case we have fur babies. And they are starting to look as round as their humans.

This scale has four digits with a decimal in the middle, so we can’t get right down to the gram. I will just add a 5 to each number and we should be within a few grams of actual weight. I am weighing each 'phone with the cable for two reasons:

1) The Grado, she don’t come apart
And
2) We all wear the cable with the 'phones so, why not?

I currently own 7 pairs of headphones and here is what I came up with:

HD58X’s = 355 grams
HD600’s = 405 grams
Meze 99 Classic’s = 265 grams
Grado GH2’s = 305 grams
Beyerdynamic T5p.2’s = 395 grams
Fostex TH-610’s = 485 grams
Koss E95X’s = 325 grams

Some comments on this:

1) I am shocked that the Grado’s weren’t the lightest.
2) I am surprised the Koss weren’t the lightest.
3) I am shocked wood headphones (Meze) were the lightest.
4) That Fostex cable is Long and Thick, but they still would have broken 400 grams.
5) I was surprised that the HD58X’s were 50 grams less than the HD600’s.
6) I am easily surprised and shocked.

Far from scientific, but interesting, to me at least. I hope other people will add to the thread. It would be cool to have a cross reference for most headphones. Even if only for trivia sake.

Shane D

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Yeah it's surprising the Grados are heavier than wood Mezes!

Some mathematician ought to be able to come up with a calculation for comfort factor based on weight, clamp pressure, area of contact on the head etc. It's really hard to compare. I find the LCDs surprisingly comfortable although they're bricks.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 3
Sony MDR-1AM2 is under 200 grams, and is very comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back