Headphone Upgrade from AKG Q701
Oct 3, 2021 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lazmarr

New Head-Fier
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for some help and advice on some new headphones to upgrade to from the AKG Q701.

I recently purchased the Beyerdynamic Amiron and, whilst they do have some great qualities to them, have found them to be a little different to the Q701. Granted the Amiron do have some brilliant imaging, and a 'holographic-ness' to the audio, I have found them to be a little 'muffled' or 'muddy' (if that's the right term), lacking some of the clarity that the Q701's have.

I was looking to spend up to around £600 on a new set of headphones, and would like some advice on which would be a worthy upgrade from the Q701's. I will be pairing them with a Schiit Lyr 2 with the LISST tubes.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Oct 4, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi all, new to this forum and looking for some help and advice on some new headphones to upgrade to from the AKG Q701.

I recently purchased the Beyerdynamic Amiron and, whilst they do have some great qualities to them, have found them to be a little different to the Q701. Granted the Amiron do have some brilliant imaging, and a 'holographic-ness' to the audio, I have found them to be a little 'muffled' or 'muddy' (if that's the right term), lacking some of the clarity that the Q701's have.

I was looking to spend up to around £600 on a new set of headphones, and would like some advice on which would be a worthy upgrade from the Q701's. I will be pairing them with a Schiit Lyr 2 with the LISST tubes.

Any help and advice is appreciated.
To be fair, I find that a lot of headphones sound "muddy" and "muffled" after I switch from the Q701. The Q701 boosts the clarity region quite a bit, so if you get used to that sound, even neutral headphones can seem like they're not clear enough.

The R70X that the others recommended is a great sidegrade for the Q701, the tonal balance is more natural-sounding imo. I found it a bit "boring" stock, but it paired really well with my hybrid tube amp, so I imagine the Lyr would be a great fit for it.

If you have bigger ears or want a more spacious sound than the R70X, my other recommendation would be the Hifiman Ananda (which I find can also benefit from hybrid tubes). The soundstage isn't as wide as the Q701, but it is more "filled out" and the sound signature is also a well-balanced version of neutral-bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back