Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Mar 10, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,011 of 2,843
You will want to slow down and make careful decisions so you don't make a mistake.

The WE300B imparts the better bombastic bass response with clear coloration through the midrange and rolled treble.
The Tak follows the house with some cleaner extensions especially through the top end.
The Mo is the most technical but also has the best bass extension; by fluidity and extension.
TM300B is technically the best 300B I've heard and follows a Mo prowess with better expansion, but it's also unavailable.

If you aren't careful, you are going to wind up with a very tubey and muddled bloat / veil response.

It's possible that is what you want, a concession for trade, and ACME could better fit the role.

It will also largely depend on the amplification. Eddie Current amps are a real bear to sweeten-up and that is due to their topology.
An Balancing Act would be an exception from the Studio line.
Thank you for the information. I am running a Bottlehead Kaiju. Which is really gentle on 300Bs, part of why I bought it.

How would you say the Acme compares to the WE300B, Tak, and standard ER300B? I see you can occasionally, rarely, find all 3 for right around $1000 used.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #2,013 of 2,843
So, reading through the post here. The circle jerk of Elrog love does look pretty fun. Maybe my best option would be to just give in and join the circle. I probably won't be able to join for a while due to the entrance cost.

Is the main difference between the ER300B and the ER300B-Mo the material it is made from?

Or are there pretty dramatic sound differences?

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,014 of 2,843
So, reading through the post here. The circle jerk of Elrog love does look pretty fun. Maybe my best option would be to just give in and join the circle. I probably won't be able to join for a while due to the entrance cost.

Is the main difference between the ER300B and the ER300B-Mo the material it is made from?

We prefer the term "cult".

There is a dramatic difference between the two, material manufacturing aside. The Mo have much more extended ends (both in the bass/sub-bass and the treble) as well as added weight and body behind it. If you want the cleanest, most extended 300B experience, it's the Mo, without a doubt. If you want more "tubeyness" to your sound, pick something else with the characteristics you're looking for (classic 300B - Western Electric, lean and crisp - Takatsuki, bold and boomy - Emission Labs, etc.) IMO, YMMV.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,015 of 2,843
Yes. I prefer MO as well. It’s better in every way over the ER for except a tiny bit of more weight. CraY how changing the material makes such a big change.

It needs breaking in. When I first got it I felt it was bright etc. After burn in it was amazing.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #2,016 of 2,843

Here is what the ”cult” may not say…
What you really have to ask here is, is the Mo version worth the extra $1K and if it is in your budget to do so?
If money is no object then this is a non-issue, otherwise you can spend that extra money on other hardware. Just my opinion.

The ideal approach is to be able to trial both if you can and decide for yourself. In the end it’s your ears 👂 that you need to satisfy.
I will say that the Elrog tubes are unlike anything else out there in the 300B version and are well worth what you spend on them as they are really an “end game” tube.

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES! Lol

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #2,017 of 2,843
Here is what the ”cult” may not say…
What you really have to ask here is, is the Mo version worth the extra $1K and if it is in your budget to do so?
If money is no object then this is a non-issue, otherwise you can spend that extra money on other hardware. Just my opinion.

The ideal approach is to be able to trial both if you can and decide for yourself. In the end it’s your ears 👂 that you need to satisfy.
I will say that the Elrog tubes are unlike anything else out there in the 300B version and are well worth what you spend on them as they are really an “end game” tube.

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES! Lol
I wish I could get both but a of right now I can't afford either. This is going to be a "future" purchase. I will have to deal with the super cheap, and terrible, PSVANE tubes for a while.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #2,018 of 2,843
Just want to espouse my love for the WE 300Bs. Don't think that they are a poor choice despite the fanatical proselytization of the Elrogs here.

They are holographic, detailed and possess some mighty bass slam. I play some truly hairy music through them (lots of metal of various styles and recording quality) and they handle everything I throw at them with aplomb.

Honestly, I feel like headphones don't really allow 300Bs to show off what makes them so special until you play them with speakers, as sound-stage is their incredible party trick. I think that's why Elrogs get more love here over the WE as most are just running headphones whereas I listen to speakers more than headphones with my WE and they never fail to leave me in awe.

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #2,019 of 2,843
Does anyone use dampening rings on there 300Bs? Did you notice any improvement in the sound quality?
Curious about this as well. I have experienced some ringing with certain 300b’s especially the EAT. So I can definitely see where they would be useful but just haven’t gotten around to picking up any dampeners yet.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #2,020 of 2,843
TM PSA: There will be a pivot for regions for direct ordering of Elrog tubes.

Today place your order direct.

This will also help ensure the best pricing and availability for the future.

**We are reachable by email: info@elrog.com or phone / WhatsApp / WeChat : +49-173-3773747**

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,021 of 2,843
TM PSA: There will be a pivot for regions for direct ordering of Elrog tubes.

Today place your order direct.

This will also help ensure the best pricing and availability for the future.

**We are reachable by email: info@elrog.com or phone / WhatsApp / WeChat : +49-173-3773747**
Thx for sharing

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,022 of 2,843
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #2,023 of 2,843
Thomas will direct inquiries to a portal for fulfillment.

If folks in North America now order and receive Elrogs from PC, is the new procedure to order through Elrog directly?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,024 of 2,843
Thomas will direct inquiries to a portal for fulfillment.

If folks in North America now order and receive Elrogs from PC, is the new procedure to order through Elrog directly?
Yes, you can. Once PCX sells out, the new model will be direct.

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,025 of 2,843
Back to 300B chat / or cult offerings

WP_20200328_16_00_08_Rich (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back