Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #1,996 of 2,843
Mar 8, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #1,997 of 2,843
😳😢

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #1,998 of 2,843
Mar 8, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #2,001 of 2,843
What 300B has the best bass extension? Or has the most tube flavor to its sound? Seems like the Elrog is very technical but I want bass and tube sound.
How do you define "tube sound"? Also, why do you think being technical and having a lack of bass are mutually exclusive? The Elrog Mo's are very technical AND have extreme depth and heft to them. They are not slow and bloated like some other 300B (I'm looking at you Western Electric) but have plenty of extension on both ends. You can add more warmth and/or wetness (tube sound?) by tweaking the drivers. For example, RCA "Grey Glass" 6SN7's are nice and warm, and Tung Sol BGRP 6F8G's are slick and wet while also being warm and hefty.

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #2,002 of 2,843
What 300B has the best bass extension? Or has the most tube flavor to its sound? Seems like the Elrog is very technical but I want bass and tube sound.
You will want to slow down and make careful decisions so you don't make a mistake.

The WE300B imparts the better bombastic bass response with clear coloration through the midrange and rolled treble.
The Tak follows the house with some cleaner extensions especially through the top end.
The Mo is the most technical but also has the best bass extension; by fluidity and extension.
TM300B is technically the best 300B I've heard and follows a Mo prowess with better expansion, but it's also unavailable.

If you aren't careful, you are going to wind up with a very tubey and muddled bloat / veil response.

It's possible that is what you want, a concession for trade, and ACME could better fit the role.

It will also largely depend on the amplification. Eddie Current amps are a real bear to sweeten-up and that is due to their topology.
An Balancing Act would be an exception from the Studio line.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,003 of 2,843
How do you define "tube sound"? Also, why do you think being technical and having a lack of bass are mutually exclusive? The Elrog Mo's are very technical AND have extreme depth and heft to them. They are not slow and bloated like some other 300B (I'm looking at you Western Electric) but have plenty of extension on both ends. You can add more warmth and/or wetness (tube sound?) by tweaking the drivers. For example, RCA "Grey Glass" 6SN7's are nice and warm, and Tung Sol BGRP 6F8G's are slick and wet while also being warm and hefty.

It's more that $2000+ is an outlandish amount to pay for a pair of tubes.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #2,006 of 2,843
Looks like the Elrogs went up in price - https://www.partsconnexion.com/elrog.html
This was unfortunately inevitable due to increases in electricity, gas and other manufacturing costs.
What this means, is the possibility of another price increase in the close future.

In addition: TM PSA:
Elrog is facing a small material crisis; due to the lack of raw material supply, no new rectifiers will be manufactured for a time. This extension is 6 months up to 12 months.

If you need to place a order or stock up, do it now. The last batch for PCX arrives this week and no new orders will be placed.

Elrog keeps a small stock of rectifiers to ensure warranty cases will be addressed.

*This will not affect production of triodes*

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,007 of 2,843
Seeing if anyone has a good condition OG HD800 or HD800s that would like to trade for WE300B or Elrog ER ... we can go over the details on PM. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #2,009 of 2,843
The HD800 was to bright for me The S was perfect.
My buddy emailed me this:

I'd get an original HD800 (silver cups) and do the Super Dupont Resonator aka "French mod" from Sorrodje on SBAF to attenuate the 6 Khz peak. HD800S is slightly more aggressive bass and slightly more 6 khz attenuation.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,010 of 2,843
My buddy emailed me this:

I'd get an original HD800 (silver cups) and do the Super Dupont Resonator aka "French mod" from Sorrodje on SBAF to attenuate the 6 Khz peak. HD800S is slightly more aggressive bass and slightly more 6 khz attenuation.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Have not heard the mod , but from what I’ve read it was very well received. I wonder if that mod receded into the background when the S arrived?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back