Headphone tube amp for under 300.00???
Apr 3, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Slightly over you budget, but surprised no one has mentioned the Eddie Current Laconic EC-01.

Speaking of Eddie Current, does anybody know of any published reviews of the EC-01?

I’ve located the listening impressions of the EC-01 by several Head-Fi members,

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159545 ,
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161695 ,
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163154 ,

and recstar24 has agreed to do a review of the EC-01 for 6moons. ( See thread http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158443 )

Are there any other Head-Fi members out there who would be willing to share their thoughts or opinions on how well the EC-01 performs relative to its competition? It sounds like quite a bargain in a tube amp at its price of $349.00!

Thanks In Advance,
Nick

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 22
I got a Little Dot II recently and have been extremely pleased with it. I could not believe what I was hearing for just about $100. I was hesitant at first because of the quality control issues, but I bought it from a fellow Head-Fier and it seemed to be in good order. It is great with my MS-1.

Can't give any comparisons to other tube amps, but it certainly puts a big smile on my face.

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Thanks everyone for the input and I will pick up one out of the suggestions. And yes I am somewhat restricted right now so I am looking forward to some nice music. The doctor said my wallet was just way to big and I needed to empty it because of my back problems. I told him I new just the place. Rodney

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 22
I would second the suggestion of buying an ec01! If you read my First Impressions mini review, you may have thought that it was a luke warm impression. Compared to my experiences with the best in home audio gear ( I've been in this hobby since the mid '70s) and my $27K big rig, yes, I have to say that it really isn't the final word. But, at $350, it is a tough act to follow. It is very neutral, extended and really, shockingly detailed, fast, and transparent for a small tube amp. I meant to say all these things after I recieved the upgrade and could do a follow-up review but it has been a bit longer in coming than I thought it would be. That's cool, because (again if you read my first impressions) I cooked a resistor in my first one by putting in a 6h30 without the proper mods, Craig was kind enough to send me a replacement and the promise for a free upgrade for my trouble. It is still a bit unclear what the upgrade will intail but, I'm pretty sure it will include preamp out and a better pot. there may be changes in the tube compliment also but I'm unsure on what that will be. Also, for an additional charge, Craig has aquired some ElectroPrint transformers that can be added which " will slam Grados" and smooth out the sound with Senn.s. Just the build quality of this amp makes $350 a joke. All point to point wiring, mil spec. components, neutrik locking headphone jack,.. the list goes on. This is a SET Otl tube amp/preamp w/2 inputs, nice solid chassis for the price of a boutique stereo pot or 6 teflon capasitors. I have boxed up my ASL mg head otl to sell for not a whole lot less than the cost of this amp new. It's not perfect like I said, there is still a very low level grunge that obscures the finer( read teeny,tiny, is it there or not?) details, and blurs the leading and trailing edges of attacks, but like I've said to Craig ( probably much to his dismay) I want it all for cheap. At least this year! Next year, I think I'll really go for it headphone wise!

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 22
I'll also echo the recommendations for the Millet Hybrid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Check out the Bada PH-1 at info@cattylink.com and also at ornec.com

Under $200

Have you ever heard that amp? From what I understand, it's pretty bad. Do a search, there have been some unhappy owners. One guy I personally talked to noticed that the internal wiring was a complete mess, and also the tubes are soldered in place. Don't just recommend Bada amps because you have a huge boner for the PH-12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back