Headphone tube amp for under 300.00???
Apr 3, 2006 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Roddey

Banned
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs notebook soundcard and a pair of Sennheiser 555's. I am looking to add something inbetween them.Any suggestions for the best headphone tube amp for under $300.00?I see alot of them on ebay that are Hong Kong specials but dont know if they are any good. I am now using the pocket- amp2 which is good for portable use but I want that tube sound for home. Thank You

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 22
I have a Little Dot III which is a bit over your budget when shipping is factored in. Perhaps you should look into the Little Dot II. I personally haven't heard it but it seems to get pretty good reviews around here.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 22
If you've got to have tubes, why not try to find a Millet Hybrid? Rockhopper still has a few left. Get one fast, it looks like this is the last time they're offering it there...

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Argh same boat as you, can you get any full sized tubed amps if you go used for around that price or maybe a little higher?

A few months ago I was asking the same question, and pretty much was told that there are no tube amps that were better sounding than my PPA for $600. Cheaper tubes just lose a lot of detail you're used to in solid state under that price, I guess.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 22
You can get a used Melos Sha for about $600 though right? I've been looking into one of these but I'm worried it would only be a good match for the Grados I have coming and not my Senns, it seems to be one of the few full sized tube amps for around that price range.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
A few months ago I was asking the same question, and pretty much was told that there are no tube amps that were better sounding than my PPA for $600. Cheaper tubes just lose a lot of detail you're used to in solid state under that price, I guess.

What about the Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD? I've heard nothing but great things about this amp.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Millet hybrid would be my recommendation. Big on tube tone small (very small) on tube hastle.

Note also that if youre a detail / speed freek you should not be looking into tube amps in this price range.

I am very happy with my millet, it provides enough details and quick transients for my tastes.

Garrett

Apr 3, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 22
Try the MGhead OTL.

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 22
Slightly over you budget, but surprised no one has mentioned the Eddie Current Laconic EC-01.

Apr 3, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 22
There is actually a Little Dot 2 in the for sale forums right now if you are interesting in getting one.It's from Australia so you might want to ake if he ships overseas.

Apr 3, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roddey
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs notebook soundcard and a pair of Sennheiser 555's. I am looking to add something inbetween them.Any suggestions for the best headphone tube amp for under $300.00?I see alot of them on ebay that are Hong Kong specials but dont know if they are any good. I am now using the pocket- amp2 which is good for portable use but I want that tube sound for home. Thank You

Check out the Bada PH-1 at info@cattylink.com and also at ornec.com

Under $200

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 22
While I will not say that you cannot get a good sounding, affordable tube amp, I personally believe that it is much harder than with solid state equipment. Tubes can offer a wonderful sound, but they can also be a pain in the butt if you are dealing with poor quality components and/or construction. For one thing, bad designs/construction can have high noise floors. As a tube lover, and the owner of a tube amp, I say this not to talk you out of the experience, but so you can venture ahead armed with some useful information. Unless you like tinkering or know somebody who will tinker for you, be sure you have some reasonable warranty and trial period, otherwise be prepared to part with your $ at the first problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back